finally got the monte tranny

dburdick

doug b
I finally got the monte tranny with the 3.7 final drive. Total cost after picking it up from the warehouse in charleston: $1028. the tranny was $200, the shipping to the port in charleston was $540, plus about 58 for the crate they shipped it in. Then,I was hit with $230 from vanguard logistics.The breakdown for this unexpected additional expence was: for documentation:75,stripping(whatever that is.):25,"THC":50,equipment surcharge:10,Port security fee:25,fuel surcharge:10,and loading:35. My advice to anyone wanting to import some heavy,bulky part from overseas, Find somone here to make it for you! It's cheaper! I'll never import anything myself again.

good and bad...

I had a positive experience when I received my Uno Turbo engine from Mal in New Zealand... I think a bunch of it boils down to the person handling the paperwork and other political BS.

Even at the cost, it is far cheaper than trying to build or modify something.

I still think it was not too bad of a deal.

Eric

It was the suprize

It was the suprize,$230 bill that arrived just days before delivery that bugged me.

Did you pay with a credit card? Just to release your merchandise? Sounds like extortion. I'd consider contesting the charges with the credit card company, they probably demanded payment in something more liquid though.:jedi:

They dont take

Credit cards. And they dont do paypay, only casherchecks, or money orders.I wont do this again.

Comments on importation costs....

Sounds like extortion. - from jvandyke

Costs for importation of parts varies wildly. C. Obert & Co. will never quote a price on a part until he gets it in hand. The charges are pretty capricious and dependent on the individual agent handling the shipment. No counting on any consistency or regularity.

Chris has regularly ranted to me about the pricing. But, then again, we have been friends for 30 years, so I don't mind.

Ciao,

Well, if you're "hit" with a new charge you didn't expect either they are extorting you or you didn't understand the process on the outset I guess. Either way, ouch.

It was probably me

I didn't understand the process. But when your importing something on your own and it's a small order, I guess this is what you can expect.

Sounds like extortion. - from jvandyke

Costs for importation of parts varies wildly. C. Obert & Co. will never quote a price on a part until he gets it in hand. The charges are pretty capricious and dependent on the individual agent handling the shipment. No counting on any consistency or regularity.

Chris has regularly ranted to me about the pricing. But, then again, we have been friends for 30 years, so I don't mind.

Ciao,

I have been importing car parts into the USA for a very long time. In the end, what you get charged to clear both the country of export & the US Customs agencies varies greatly. Even for the same part numbers over & over.

We recently discovered that bearing made in Germany are suddenly against the law. Used to be bearings made in Italy, so I had been going out of my way to import bearings NOT of Italian origin while they were illegal, only to get slapped out of the blue with the German thing.
My forwarder finally discovered that the German thing had happened while our shipment was in transit! Boy was that importation full of extra fees.
And not a single bearing made in Germany. But that didn't matter...

Once while visiting my forwarder's agent (we got a full tour of an Italian forwarder's business, including a tour of the warehouse where everything gets stored until it clears Italian customs), we were told flat out that there would be extra fees based upon the bribe needed by the Italian customs agent. We were advised not to export anytime near any of his kid's birthdays, his anniversary, his wife's birthday, any of the national holidays that include the giving of gifts to relatives...
None of this is predictable, and all of it influences what I must pay & what, in the end, you must pay.

But I think that in the end it all comes down to when the Customs official was last layed...

Chris Obert

Back