Finally...Here is my X

etownsley

Streel Legal GP Race Car
I have been autocrossing it for the last 3 seasons. I had it painted a back in September. Thanks to everyone on this forum!

Last edited:
Keep trying.....

i gave up longtime ago.I sure know how to surf the net,but when it comes to this kind of things i`m clueless.At least i have try but with no sucess.But thats me........
Don`t worry,hang around,someone will come by and tell you how to do it.Good luck..........can`t wait to se your pics!!!:excited:

if the

upload your picture with the option "Add images from free Imageshack Uploader" from yoour HD.

when the picture is uploaded by http://www.imageshack.us/
go to: Show Advanced Linking (klik on it.
And Copy the link, and place it between de img tags
PHP:
[IMG]http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4429/graversen34cnff4.jpg[/IMG]
graversen34cnff4.jpg

What could be more simpler or easier to understand???

HAHAHA!

And just what language was that... German or Dutch or what???

Thanks anyway!

It worked! (well, almost) ;)

That's the ticket! You got the upload part figured out, now when you are on the post/reply edit screen, you have three options

Just paste the url directly into your text area, like you did, and we get a link we can click for the pic

Or if you are using the "basic" editor (you select which editor you get up top in the "User CP" link under "Edit Options") you can paste the link and then bookend it with [img ] and [/img ] (no spaces though) around the url you pasted, that will convert it to show the image itself instead of a link

Or if you are using the "advanced/wysiwyg" editor (again UserCP/EditOptions) you would click the little yellow "mountain button" in the editor controls, and paste the url in the popup that opens. That will load the image itself in your text area...

It's not too hard after you've done it a couple times, it's just a pain til you get used to it. One day we plan to improve the function but for now this is the best we could do...

Anyway here's your pic! :D :clap:

fiat010kj6.jpg

Here's pics of my X.....Finally!

Here are some more views.
fiat009wf2.jpg

Notice the niffty trim pieces I have installed on the bumperless front end.
fiat005dn6.jpg

fiat010fa5.jpg

The light weight aluminum trunk lid is left on the car during the autocross season.
fiat014mx7.jpg

I bought the wheels from a fellow autocrosser for a hundred dollars. I bead blasted, painted and polished the lips myself.
fiat012mq4.jpg

I have gutted the interior only leaving stuff that keeps it legal on the street. The seats are cheap ebay items. They are great for racing but any drive over 2 hours long is a killer.
fiat018vi7.jpg

I would be happy to answere any questions or post more pictures if requested. Thanks again for everyones patience and help. I love my X and I am finally glad I can share it with the forum.

Last edited:
Give us more info on your car setup.....

any engine mods? suspension? what kind of wheels are those? etc ,etc.I like the color............:italia:

Well... Congratulations! The BADGING is PERFECT!

HAHAHA!

So you intend to autocross the car regularly? Are there any restrictions concerning running 'glas pieces in a stock class?

My son tells me you can do ANYTHING you want to a car and run any class ya want in an SCCA event... until you start WINNING! HA!

As for the badges... Rudy told me of ONE story and I have had TWO experiences so far of folks objecting to the FERRARI badges on a FIAT.

I love to see the expressions on their faces when they realize its a BUCKING JACKASS... (just like them...) and not a Prancing Horse!

I've only witnessed (again) two occasions... where somebody "got it" the first time... and brought others over for a look-see too!

Most have NO IDEA of what the car is or what's going on... just like the rest of their misearable little lives, I guess! HAHAHA!

Great work, btw, especially on the QUALITY you put into the wheels and they are UNUSUAL... and probably why I like them! Keep it up!

Tony's getting an edge to him these days...!

Bad experience with some Ferrari owners there Tony? :confused: :whistle:

I've met a few like that for sure, but then I always think of the examples like the guy (older refined conservative wealthy looking gentleman in a dignified houndstooth suit jacket) in his red Testarossa who wheeled up beside my orange '75 (in its prime) at a traffic light in Seattle, yelled "nice Fiat" and ad-lib we drove several miles down Lake City Way "mock racing" at 10mph thru traffic in tandem side by side tooting our air horns at people to clear a path, and generally just gawking at each other's cars, to which he gave me a huge thumbs up :thumbsup: before launching off like a rocket at the end and leaving me in a cloud of dust

I will admit that seems more the exception in my own encounters but then again I also don't get to see Ferraris that often up here... :cry:

Here is the scoop!

I bought the car along with a cut-up parts car for $800 three years ago this month. I have been fixing it up every since. The car sat for at least 2 years before I purchased it so the first thing I did was make it road worthy and street legal. Rebuilt the brakes, master cylinder, clutch slave etc..etc. There is nothing special about the brakes except that I did polish the calipers.
The first season I autocrossed the car I ran in DSP against 180 hp Toyota Celica GT's and I quickly saw this was not going to be a competative class. Early in the second season I found out about the GP class so I started droping the weight. Bumpers were the first thing to go because I hated how they looked on the car. Since coming to GP I have chipped out the sound deadening in the cockpit and inside the doors. The dash was cracked and heavy so it had to go as well. I tossed the carpet, A/C, heater box and all the related wiring and plumbing. Yes...that's right. The heater went because its heavy! You don't need a heater to be street legal and my wife rarely rides with me.
I also tossed all the smog equipment including the cataletic converter, vacumm hoses and carb fan. I have lightened the cam pulley by drilling six holes 1-1/8" diameter. I used the crank pulley from the parts car because it was smaller in diameter and lighter being that it was a single groove pulley instead of the two groove pulley. I also turned off about 1/4 pound from the smaller crank pulley before I installed it.
I removed the rain tray from the engine lid. This was by far one of the easiest mods I have done and dropped 6 pounds in the process. I also removed the griding in the side vents to let more air flow into the engine bay. I still use the stock air cleaner but I have cut the snorkle off and made it larger so it now holds a 3 inch flex tube that I run down to the drivers side vent.
I have installed a 34 DATRA carb that I got on clearance from Pierce Manifolds. The carb sits on top of the stock heat shield and a 3/4" thick phenolic riser that I made. The cam is a Delt regrind 40/80 that I got from Matt Brannon at Midwest X-1/9. I also got the matching shaved cam tower with the cam. I have port matched the head to the stock 1500 manifolds. Port matching was simple and helped the engine pull further into the RPM's.
The air dam is home made from aluminum as is the light weight trunk lid and the tunnel cover between the seats. The paint is an acrilic enamel with a "wet look" hardner added to it. The paint color is original Bordaux Red. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do about the grill. Any suggestion? The rear bumper rubbers have "Tropicana" lids shoved into them. I have since ditched the yellow licence plate frame. I never really liked it.
The wheels are 5-1/2" X 13's with 5/8" thick hub centric spacers on the rears and 1/2" thick hub centric spacers on the fronts. I made the spacers myself. I run 175/50's on the front and 185/60's on the rear when I am not racing. The street tires are Sumitomo HTR 200's. I race on 20" X 8" X 13" Goodyear Eagle cantilever slicks. They barely fit on the 5-1/2" wide wheels but they look and stick great. The yellow paint is a rattle can acrylic that I got from AutoZone. My wife thought I was bonkers for painting them yellow but I think they look fantastic. I wanted the yellow to compliment Bob Browns jackass badges. The wheels do not have any manufacturer name. They looked terible when I purchased them but they had very little curb rash and I saw the potential. I used my dremel tool to clean up the casting flash around the holes and bead blasted them before I painted them. The lip was polished by hand starting with 400 grit wet/dry followed by steel wool dipped in polishing compound and finished up with Mothers Mag Wheel Polish.
I leave the alignment setup for racing. The struts (KYB GR2 used) are in their original top strut mount holes. Bump stops are removed. The cut springs create quite a bit of negative camber. I don't know how much but it is a lot. The rear springs are cut and rebent and barely seperate from the perch when the car is jacked up. The front springs are cut and rebent rear springs that I had from the parts car. They too will barely seperate from the spring perches when jacked up.
I use the Steve H. toe setting method but not as aggressive as his race car. I have the fronts toed-in 1/8" and the rears toed-out 1/8". This setup works well for racing but I have to rotate the street tires more often to keep the ware even. I also dismount them and turn them inside/out once a year. So far the Sumi's are holding up well and are a great tire for the price.
I have a modified head in the works along with a PBS Header. The head is from the parts car and the header I picked up for $100 on line. I will be shaving .060" from the head and porting the runners. This should wake up the 40/80 cam and drop a few more pounds in the engine bay. I also have a urethane passenger side motor mount that I will be installing at the same time. When I change out the head I will also install a plexiglass rear window that will drop another 5 pounds.
This is where she stands at the moment. Like I said....I am working on something all the time.

Most people are faked out by the badges...but

If they would really look at them and the FIAT badges on each end of the car they would realize that they are not Ferrari badges. Most people think they are great. My Dad laughed when he saw them. He's an old Fiat guy too. The last I heard....Fiat now owns Ferrari...so I don't see what the ruckus is all about.

Last edited:
All the right stuff... and most of it relatively cheap and free...

... You could be my newly adopted son! I like the way you think and what ya do.

HA!

Coupla things...

1. Grill... front, rear... not that heavy... but just what are they doing for ya on the Autocross course?

2. Rear Window... Plexi? Light... Still... what's it doing for ya on the course?

3. Bucking Jackass emblems... cool, but we still may have some stickers around... and btw... Bob Brown, Ricardo Borja, Joe Natoli, Rudy Mortero, myself and a host of others contributed to their development... but Bob did supply the CASH to bring them about. I like to think of them as ALL OF OURS though...

4. Your wife thinking you are BONKERS really has nothing to do with the paint color... but it does kinda illustrate your internal thinking. This is nothing unusual though... as it comes with the overall CAR OWNERSHIP. Maybe all our wives/significant other/registered domestic partners or whatever... should start their own support group or website...

Great work... keep it up and let us know how the competition goes. I run a DATR 32 btw, jetted rather lean but I have no cam etc . Have you started to mess with your carb yet?

Oh... I too have met several great Ferrari guys...

... I was just noting the few that had some kinda problem... as if we were stealing their identity or something. HA... these were the SoCal variety also... so that coulda made a difference!

HAHAHAHA! Hey... they may not have even been Ferrari guys... I had never said they were, and never even thought about it either.

Back