Finally - was dissed by a Prius owner 😱

tvmaster

True Classic
Anyone else have this happen? Sitting in the grocery story lot, beside a new, Prius Prime. 60/70ish woman comes back to her modern, planet-saving device, just as we‘re starting up the greenie. And with her back turned to us, she makes the grand gesture of waving the fumes away behind her back.
Shocked. Shocked and stunned. lol. We looked at a Prius. For the money, the KIA Niro was a WAY more robust, interesting, BETTER vehicle.
I guess I’ll have to get a license plate frame that says “My other car’s electric. It’s balance”

Last edited:
Did you mention the process of mining lithium and how horrible that is for the planet? And the original Prius was touted as having a larger carbon footprint (birth to boneyard) than a Hummer?

I’m certain her car is better for Earth than ours, but hey, she probably drives it a lot more. And it still has a petrol engine, right? The “noive”

The nickel foam used in the Prius batteries is (was) mined in one country, refined in another, then sent to another (I can't really remember how it went) to be put in a car. The pollution involved in the battery production was pretty bad, and that's just the battery. Granted the little X was not gifted the most efficient engine with it's outdated technology BUT look how many are still on the road. Will the Prius ever get that status? I'm not banking on it, they'll all be scrapped to add the not so final nail in their carbon foot print. With the size of the X if fitted with a modern engine IMO would inflict less pollution over it's new life than a Prius. Of course I have no way to back that up, so take it for what it's worth.

Some people just have an overwhelming need to demonstrate their moral superiority (in this case PRECEIVED moral superiority). Those kind of folks often base their buying habits on the "image" a product projects and take every opportunity to find other people to belittle.
God love them.

In my time I have burned a lot of fossil fuel Saturday night cruising or just driving a hundred miles for good Chinese food so will be the last to disparage someone for driving a gasser.
People tend to get on a high horse if they think they are doing something special.
Like the lady they focus on one point and ignore the rest.
What the lady and most people do no realize is basically a Prius is a petrol car with a large starter motor that takes off on electric mode starting the engine and giving extra power when needed.
The car runs primarily on the gas engine.
As some of you know I am running an electric motor in my X.
Caught flack for that on this forum.
Love the electric but still remember the thrill of bringing those little fours up past redline.
I also have an old FJ40 with a 350 that I have been driving longer than some of you have been around.
Also love that throaty rumble of the V8 but if I had the money would convert it to electric.
Just do your thing and don't knock others for theirs.

In my time I have burned a lot of fossil fuel Saturday night cruising or just driving a hundred miles for good Chinese food so will be the last to disparage someone for driving a gasser.
People tend to get on a high horse if they think they are doing something special.
Like the lady they focus on one point and ignore the rest.
What the lady and most people do no realize is basically a Prius is a petrol car with a large starter motor that takes off on electric mode starting the engine and giving extra power when needed.
The car runs primarily on the gas engine.
As some of you know I am running an electric motor in my X.
Caught flack for that on this forum.
Love the electric but still remember the thrill of bringing those little fours up past redline.
I also have an old FJ40 with a 350 that I have been driving longer than some of you have been around.
Also love that throaty rumble of the V8 but if I had the money would convert it to electric.
Just do your thing and don't knock others for theirs.
Lol. We just thought it was funny. And hey, our other car IS a Niro, and it gets 45mpg, so my guilt quotient is minimal. Have you posted more about your electric X here, as I think that would make total sense: lots of space for batteries, and great handling. My improved stereo would sound even better!

Around 10 years ago the Economist Magazine published the results of two studies addressing so called clean vehicles. First study was an informal camera observation, in the San Francisco area, of the actions of cars turning right at a red light with pedestrians in the "right of way" crosswalk. Adjusted for percentages represented, ELECTRIC cars were about 30% more likely to cut off the people in the crosswalk. Sometimes never stopping for the red light. Second study was done at a University and had controlled groups given various "games" to play. Those "players" were grouped into electric and gasoline car owners. This was not imparted to the participants. There was a financial or "atta boy" reward for winning the games. They were not playing against each other but individual games. The rules were so set up that one could easily see a way of cheating to "win" the game. AGAIN over 30% of the electric car owners cheated. Combined with other psychological profiles the conclusions were that MANY of the people who (at THAT time) bought them as an unconscious compensation for what we would call "personality defects." In other words I'm a jerk but make up for it by declaring (visually) to the world how good a person I am. I also hug trees..... (Sorry if you own one as these were published results from the era)

mined in one country, refined in another, then sent to another

This is common in the auto industry for almost every single part - but it's all done fairly efficiently. It's not practical to make any car with raw materials sourced locally. Even Italian made cars today have components that are globally sourced (many bounce from Tier to Tier supplier until they get to the OEM).

Toyota has made upwards of 15M hybrid vehicles to date - many of which are still on the road today. They're pretty damn good vehicles. Good basic transportation, and very well engineered (super durable and low cost of ownership of almost any Toyota product!)

she makes the grand gesture of waving the fumes away behind her back
well, her hybrid has a tail pipe as well! You can point at her exhaust and do the same :)

Many years from now - people will probably view drivers of gasoline cars similarly to smokers (in a negative way) or at least look down on them :(

They just approved a huge mining plan to extract lithium from the Nevada desert. But then again, Nevada accepts the rest of the country's nuclear waste for a fee...it is dumped in the desert. So maybe the nuclear waste in the soil will make for better lithium? No idea, but I really don't like living next to any of this crap.

On the Prius:

I'm still trying to figure out how I'll put dual Webers on my first electric car.
Two of these?
1D14A2A5-60FF-478D-80E3-B986AEBA3AE3.jpeg

Electric cars depending on the battery type(s) will require ever increasing amounts of Nickel, Lead, Zinc, Cobalt and Lithium in varying quantities not to mention Aluminum, Iron, Steel, Copper and other metals. Say what you will about getting to a net zero carbon economy EV's will help but at the same time contribute to emissions. Unless you can mine without fossil fuels we aint getting there in my lifetime. We will get there eventually but I'm going to be compost at that point.

Around 10 years ago the Economist Magazine published the results of two studies addressing so called clean vehicles. First study was an informal camera observation, in the San Francisco area, of the actions of cars turning right at a red light with pedestrians in the "right of way" crosswalk. Adjusted for percentages represented, ELECTRIC cars were about 30% more likely to cut off the people in the crosswalk. Sometimes never stopping for the red light. Second study was done at a University and had controlled groups given various "games" to play. Those "players" were grouped into electric and gasoline car owners. This was not imparted to the participants. There was a financial or "atta boy" reward for winning the games. They were not playing against each other but individual games. The rules were so set up that one could easily see a way of cheating to "win" the game. AGAIN over 30% of the electric car owners cheated. Combined with other psychological profiles the conclusions were that MANY of the people who (at THAT time) bought them as an unconscious compensation for what we would call "personality defects." In other words I'm a jerk but make up for it by declaring (visually) to the world how good a person I am. I also hug trees..... (Sorry if you own one as these were published results from the era)
Check out the high correlation between "Tesla ownership" and "has a vanity plate".... says it all, really.

The Economist, about 4 years ago, did a piece on "The 20 ways that Tesla $7500 credit could have saved the planet more effectively". The net was that there were lots and lots of more effective ways to reduce CO2 emissions than giving billions in tax credits to the millionaires that bought Teslas in the first wave. Most of the ways were "boring" and "not sexy like Ludicrous Mode", but from an economics PoV? Things like better house insulation and more efficient appliances would be far more effective in CO2 reductions. But. not. sexy.

Check out the high correlation between "Tesla ownership" and "has a vanity plate".... says it all, really.

The Economist, about 4 years ago, did a piece on "The 20 ways that Tesla $7500 credit could have saved the planet more effectively". The net was that there were lots and lots of more effective ways to reduce CO2 emissions than giving billions in tax credits to the millionaires that bought Teslas in the first wave. Most of the ways were "boring" and "not sexy like Ludicrous Mode", but from an economics PoV? Things like better house insulation and more efficient appliances would be far more effective in CO2 reductions. But. not. sexy.
I think she just forgot what it was like to be young on the Amalfi coast :)

Back