kmead

Old enough to know better
X1/9 Firewall Insulation Template

After quite a few back and forth photographs, sketches, printouts, markups and redo's, Bob Brown and I have created a set of properly scaled drawings of the firewall insulation.

We used the now cleaned and completely stripped Mac X to create the template.

The short answer for installation per Bob is:
  • For the early models, the center (top) center slot will remain verbatim but the larger circle in the center and the Ign. access hole will NOT be cut.
  • For the late models, the top center slot with be double width (rightward from it's present position) and the Ign access and larger circle in the center will be cut. Those are the primary differences.
  • There are also two slits needed to go over/around the bracket on the right.
These files are placed in the public domain, you are welcome to use them, potentially for commercial gain if you wish. We make no claims as to the safety, commercial viability or any other use of this template. We are not responsible for any problems you may have in printing, cutting or otherwise using this template. Use at your own risk.

The .ZIP file contains the following files:

.EPS (Expanded Post Script) which many sign cutting companies use to cut 2D and 3D letters. One can also use this on a large format printer to create a single piece of paper printout, you will need a plotter that has a 24" platen width and a piece of paper at least 60" long. Adobe Illustrator and many other programs can open and manipulate this file type.

.DXF (an Autocad file type) which can be used to laser or water jet cut a part complete from a sheet of material. One can also use this on a large format printer to create a single piece of paper printout, you will need a plotter that has a 24" platen width and a piece of paper at least 60" long. This file can also be manipulated in a variety of CAD programs to customize the part to your car if you need to. There are a variety of free programs which can open this file type.

.JPG (an image file) which you can print out in segments to paste together the template and trim out by hand. This will take the most work on your part but will of course be the least expensive.

.SKP (a Sketchup format for the free 3D program from Google) I used this to create the other files from. If you need to make adjustments to the template this would be a very easy way to customize it to meet your needs.

PDF file which is a variation of an EPS file.

Bob has spent quite a lot of time honing this template for us. Your car a may be a bit different so you may find some minor issues with this template. If you do, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to make an adjustment to assist you if needed. Please verify that you have printed it out at the correct size first before contacting me.

Without further ado, the files can downloaded as a zip file below.

Good luck and a huge thanks to Bob Brown who applied his patience and skills to create this template. This was a nice partnership of two guys working together a thousand miles apart using email 👍

I did chase around the forum to find other references to this template and I think I found them all so you may find the file in a few different threads.

Karl
Template Small JPG.jpg

Attachments

• Firewall Files.zip
    581.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Great work, thanks for these!

On this topic, any recommendations for which type of firewall insulation to use or where to get it from?

Excellent job both of you, thank you. 🏆

As you noted, there were prior patterns created for this a few years ago. I'm assuming these current ones are more accurate or otherwise better detailed? [I think I still have a full size print of the earlier version. However my firewall is no longer near stock so none of the patterns will be needed for my needs....meaning I won't be printing a full size copy of this new one to compare them, sorry.]

Some materials one can consider for the insulation material can be found in a post by member Rommel, I will find it and post up some of those materials. There was one very enterprising member who made a mold to emboss the aluminum with the correct pattern.
Great work, thanks for these!

On this topic, any recommendations for which type of firewall insulation to use or where to get it from?

Some materials one can consider for the insulation material can be found in a post by member Rommel, I will find it and post up some of those materials. There was one very enterprising member who made a mold to emboss the aluminum with the correct pattern.

I made a smallish die which I used to press the pattern into an aluminum covered insulation. It looked OK, but over the next year plastic memory took over and it disappeared.

A number of years ago RX1900 showed me some material that he had rolled after machining a rotary die. It looked great, only I have heard nothing further on it.

I made a smallish die which I used to press the pattern into an aluminum covered insulation. It looked OK, but over the next year plastic memory took over and it disappeared.

A number of years ago RX1900 showed me some material that he had rolled after machining a rotary die. It looked great, only I have heard nothing further on it.
Yes he and I had spoken a bit about that as well, I haven’t heard anything around that either. I am sure Henk would be able to tell us there isn’t a huge market for these pieces.

Back