Fitting Wide Aftermarket Wheels

No 7" options. All widths are 8.25. They're designed to fit an 8in tire while still leaving .25inch of rim exposed for that "stretched" look without any compromises. The only options are multi lug (color dependent) or offset of +0 or +20. To be honest Im not sure why I thought 20mm or width was such a big deal. Many of the "new" wheels from our vendors are 8in with a 0 offset. I think going low low is going to be the biggest hurdle.

Last edited:
Project is at a stand still, until VAS re stocks their coilovers. I called a couple weeks ago and was told it'd be about a month before restocking. Im getting impatient... just saying.

Last edited:
Mike, I was just told today that Vicks received their shipment of Poly Bushings. You should be good to order now.

Thanks, they must have just got them in. I looked this earlier morning and still sold out.

Just ordered a set of 225Front/275Rear, just aa fe moments ago.

Last edited:
Here are vics wheels with just the stock spacers and 9.2" wide slicks on an X 1/9. I cut and rolled the fenders quite a bit, but if I didn't lower the car, I probably wouldn't have had to cut too much.
IMG_9889.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2073.JPG

Thanks for the pics. My plan is to be alot lower then that. Im shooting for 1 finger fender gap lol

Update/Thread revival:
I never imagined that it would take this much time for such a seemingly easy project. As seen in the last posting; the adjustable coilovers arrived. Shortly there after, Dan S and I set about installing the coilovers as well as a set of Bigfoot strut doublers. After some adjustments and an alignment, the car was set to a very low ride height. Due to a lack of funds, the project unfortunately stalled out at this point. The fact that it was the height of driving season, and I didn't want my car to have any down time, didn't help matters very much, either. I did manage some time to roll my rear fenders, but the project was now officially on hold. The Fall (2017) season rolls around, and was mostly consumed by deer hunting, and researching tire sizes, as well as other details needed items. What a PITD that was!! After too many weeks of research, I finally decided on a tire profile. Unfortunately, the sizing required is not currently available in the US. This was a huge hurdle for me to overcome, from a logistics and financial standpoint. With a weak dollar combined with high shipping rates; this project just got really expensive, really quickly. Expensive to the tune of roughly $500 for a set of four Chinese tires! From the help of several Xweb members (thank you all!), I was able to contact a retailer who was willing to ship to the US. At a much lower price, I might add. Some time in December, I decided that at "I gotta pay to play", so I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a fresh set of five 185/45/15 Nankang NS-20's, from Demon Tweaks, in the UK. With shipping it was a modest $407 for a set of five tires, shipped to my location. I may still order a pair of more common 195/45/15's just to see If they'll fit, the rear arches, but that's another issue.
I found a local shop willing to stretch tires, and promptly had them mounted to the wheels. Next up was the 4×98 to 4×100 adapters. I found a seller on eBay UK offering X1/9 adapters, the only problem was the wheel side was hub centric for a Vauxhall, and the thread pitch went from. M12×1.25 on the hub side, to M12×1.5 on the wheel side. After contacting the seller, it was agreed that adapters in the specs I provide could be made. At no extra cost!!!! Top seller, rite there! So in addition to the already X1/9 hub centric 58/58.1mm center bore (hub side), I had the adapters made with a 58/58.1mm center bore (wheel side), as well. I also spec'd that M12×1.25 threads be used on all. Some of you may be asking yourselves, why didn't I have the wheel side center bore matched to the wheels I plan to use? The reason is because it's so much easier to keep the standard Fiat hub size and have the flexibility of simply replacing centering rings, versus having new adapters be made.
I have run into a SNAFU during this exercise, in that the wheel manufacturer stated that my wheels have a 73.1mm center bore. They don't o_O. New rings are on the way, and then I can begin tackling the front wheels. Also, I decided to go with 20mm adapters instead of 25mm. I figured if I need the extra 5mm, I'll slip a stock spacer into the mix. Everything should be completed by March...I hope.

IMG_20180125_171852.jpg
IMG_20180125_171926.jpg

Last edited:
You said:
"My plan is to be alot lower then that."
"I never imagined that it would take this much time for such a seemingly easy project."
I decided that at "I gotta pay to play"

These three quotes go hand-in-hand; it is not easy to go really low, with wide wheels/tires, and have it be functional (i.e. you can actually drive it in the real world). Been there, done it many times. So don't feel alone. Work well done, its coming along nicely.

The suspense is killing me!

Refresh my memory, what is the width on your new wheels? Was it 8"?
Close enough. 8.25 wide.
The suspense is killing me too.... And my finances, lol. I hope it all turns out, nicely. I have concerns about the 185/45s look as rear tires. I'll know better once I can get the correct length/taper & size of lug bolts. If there's enough room, I may swap 195/45 or 195/50s out back.

I am not a stretch fan, but the style of that wheel and the color combo on your car will look tits!

Great choice :cool:

"Variable Offset Bolts"...

I plan on using these to install a 4x100 PCD wheel to a 4x98 hub... I need a -10 offset on a 9.00" wheel! 4x100 opens up literally 1000 new wheel possibilities for the Fiat... Gonna be a tad sketchy, but what in life ain't!

My research and after talking with several "drift" racers in my area tells me this is a reliable solution... We'll see...

https://www.rotawheels.com.au/wheels/kensei

Wobble bolts are okay to use for the minimal difference between 4x98 & 4x100. I m not sure if I'd be keen to use them on larger expanses. For my setup; I'll be using wobble bolts on the front wheels, as double stock spacers will be utilized. Ordering custom speced 4x98 to 4x100 adapters in 10mm thickness, just doesn't make sense, to me. The rears will make use of standard extended lug bolts with a 60° taper. This weekend, I'm planning to quadruple measure the length of lugs, that I needand finally order them. I'm really hoping to have these fitted no later then this time, next month. Hopefully sooner.
What 9in wheels are you planning to run? Any thoughts on possible tire specs? FYI Toyo Proxes stretch very nicely, without looking "stretched". When stretched, they look very similar to a 70's F1 car, tires.

custom speced 4x98 to 4x100 adapters in 10mm thickness
Actually you cannot have bolt pattern adapters made that narrow. To get two different bolt patterns you need two sets of lugs (either studs and nuts, or lug-bolts), one for each pattern. 20mm is the least width to allow the first set of studs-nuts (or bolts) to clear between the inner and outer surface. Anything thinner and the nut (or bolt) will protrude past the mounting surface for the wheel. Attempts to cut the nut (bolt head) shorter would weaken it.

make use of standard extended lug bolts with a 60° taper
This sounds suspicious. What are you planning to do here?

Actually you cannot have bolt pattern adapters made that narrow. To get two different bolt patterns you need two sets of lugs (either studs and nuts, or lug-bolts), one for each pattern. 20mm is the least width to allow the first set of studs-nuts (or bolts) to clear between the inner and outer surface. Anything thinner and the nut (or bolt) will protrude past the mounting surface for the wheel. Attempts to cut the nut (bolt head) shorter would weaken it.

This sounds suspicious. What are you planning to do here?
Nothing suspicious, a foot, here. Just normal style lug bolts in an extended length. I'm thinking a 40 or 50mm grip length will work. I'll know for sure, once I measure, again. As for the adapters: I miss spoke with regards to change of lug pattern and the reading of "adapters" is pretty vague. I suppose hub centric spacers would be more accurate. The place I had my other adapters made, will make a hub centric 10mm spacers (58.1 hub to 68.1 wheel). Basically a cut down version of the adapters I had made previously (in 4x98 only). I'm no machinist, so I don't care to speculate. I do wonder if there would be too much strain put on the adapters at only 10 mill thick. They are made from solid billet, so.. IDk

Don't know if you have your spacers yet, or who you are planning on getting them from. but I found this guy for my spacers and the price is quite a bit cheaper than others I have found.
4 Spacer - Hub & Wheel Centric .500" thick, Fiat 4x98 58.1 to 73 45.00 180.00 Shipping 15.00
total 195.00

Motorsport Technology
280 South Rock Blvd, Suite 100
Reno NV 89502
Phone: (775) 351-1000
Email: motorsportjr@gmail.com
Fax: (775) 351-1000
Web: http://www.motorsport-tech.com
Please read our Terms and Conditions

Thank you for your purchase. We greatly appreciate your business!
We know that you are going to love the quality of our American Made Wheel Adapters/Spacers, which are made in-house on American Made CNC Haas Machines, using only the finest American Made Metals. As you can see, we obviously believe in America!
Your parts are backed by a Lifetime Warranty, and we build each order specifically for you and your vehicle. Your invoice number is engraved on each part, and we keep very accurate details of every order. So, if you break or cross thread a stud 1 year, 5 years, 10 years from now, we know exactly how to fix or replace it, FREE OF CHARGE!
SHIPPING SCHEDULE - Please be aware that your parts will be in our machine shop for roughly 7-10 BUSINESS DAYS, and this does not include weekends. And, if your parts are to be anodized, this will take an additional 1-2 BUSINESS DAYS.
We are capable of rushing an order if you are in a tight situation and need them faster than outlined above. If that is the case, please call us at 775.351.1000 to make special arrangements. Please be aware that extra shipping costs will most probably apply. We are capable of getting orders done in as quick as 24 hours, in emergency situations; in this case, a rush service charge will apply.
95% of companies that sell Adapters/Spacers mass import cheap, pre-made China products and have them sitting on a shelf ready to ship. We do not do that. We want all of our customers to be 100% safe for the entire life of the product, and this requires that we take the time to build parts in a very careful and precise manner - including identifying each part - with quality control and safety of utmost importance.
Once an order is built, engraved, anodized, studded, properly wrapped and boxed, our shipping dept will email you a tracking number. We typically ship with UPS or USPS.
If you need to call us with questions, or to expedite or speak about your order, please do not hesitate to do so.
Again, we appreciate your order and THANK YOU for choosing our product.
Lenny Stahl, OwnerMotorsport Tech Inc.BORA (Bulletproof Off Road Adapters)Adaptec SpeedwareSTAHL/STEEL Wheel Spacers775.351.1000

Back