For Sale 87 X w/leather

BBeaudet

Daily Driver
Hi,

It is with regret that I offer up my X for sale. I just don't have the room to store it anymore and it has not been getting much use these last few years.

87 X1/9 with 62,250 miles. The car is rust free and runs great. It is a great driver as is and looks great from 20 feet but the paint is showing signs of wear.

The good:
Black leather interior, The seats are original and in beautiful condition. No rips or tears.
Rust free straight body
Motor runs great and makes great power
New rotors and pads
Nicely restored wheels

The Bad:
The paint is around 10 years old and is showing signs of wear.
The car was originally an AC car and the AC has been completely removed.
Pops out of reverse if you are not holding the shifter.
The tach is reading lower than the actual RPM's

Asking $4000.00
Feel free to ask questions and PM if interested.
Thanks,
Bob.

Attachments

• IMG_2627.JPG
    IMG_2627.JPG
    496.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2631.JPG
    IMG_2631.JPG
    544 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2634.JPG
    IMG_2634.JPG
    536.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Interior1.JPG
    Interior1.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 163
  • pass side.JPG
    pass side.JPG
    507.6 KB · Views: 159
Looks good from here. A few tasteful mods to the bumper areas already completed. :) Good luck with the sale!

Bob, I applaud you. It looks/sounds like a very nice driver for a fair price. I think this would be a excellent choice for someone that does not want a "project car" but also not a "trailer queen". ;)

Indeed it is a great buy, especially for the NE. Sorry to hear you feel you must give it up Sounds like a trans re-build is in order but that might be all.

Before you let it go though... have you considered a 4 post lift... taking careful measurements they can even fit in a garage with a standard 8 foot ceiling.

001a.JPG

A "parking lift" makes it fairly easy to drive on and off the lift. I was even able to bolt on the ramps and close the door. (Note the X is backed on so the door comes up over the frunk.) Most maintenance is so much easier on a lift as well, even polishing the sides or dressing the wheels and tires.

Anyway, after messing with these cars since '83 I have never found a former caretaker that didn't regret selling their X1/9. Unless he/she had at least one more...

Good wishes with whatever you decide.

Tony, I'm just going to pretend the white one below is another X1/9. :D

Well Doc... THEY are supposed to debut their mid-engine version soon...

I did care for another '79 in white though... known as White Fang...

BT&WF.jpg

Bought him for a $1.00 and he ran like a scalded dog that he was. Sold him to Mel Simmons who towed him OK and then he died alone in a storage bin...

Corvettes and X1/9's make good room mates. Nice '69 Tony!

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Cruncher... It really is a Ying and a Yang... Driving a slow/small car fast and a big/fast car slow. Its nice to have a choice depending on my mood.

I currently care for 6 vehicles including a 2002 TH!NK NEV, a 1977 FORD 1000 (Shibauru) Tractor, a 2003 do-every-thing Honda Pilot and a 1923 T-Bucket Roadster I started building around 1966.

If I hadta give them all up but one... I think you can guess which one I'd keep.

Well Doc... THEY are supposed to debut their mid-engine version soon...

I did care for another '79 in white though... known as White Fang...

View attachment 23480

Bought him for a $1.00 and he ran like a scalded dog that he was. Sold him to Mel Simmons who towed him OK and then he died alone in a storage bin...

Haven't heard from Lem in many years. Here he is admiring Blacktooth in 2006.
Fiat_Club_032606 051.jpg

Haven't heard from Lem in many years. Here he is admiring Blacktooth in 2006.
View attachment 23490

Yeah... I have spoken to him from time to time but that was probably 10 years ago. This is a shot of him that really shows off his size when he bought White Fang off me. He gave me what I asked for the car by shoving cash in my hand. HA!

Mel Simmonds.jpg

I got a letter in the mail from a storage facility saying there was around $300 dollars due in back rent and they were gonna auction White Fang off on Sunday in Tulsa. Apparently Lem never registered it and it was still in my name all these years later.

I called and offered to pay the bill but they would only accept cash on Sunday and I hadta be there in person. The bastards, they wanted to get more for the car and I couldn't raise anyone in time to stand in for me. A photo of it showed it was being cannibalized so it was probably a good thing.

Sorry about Lem though, he was always in some kinda trouble with the women in his life. I believed he lived in OK just like George Straight lives in Tennessee to avoid his "Ex's in Texas".

The characters we were and still are surrounded by. BTW, have you followed Rudy Mortero's exploits on Facebook? For reasons we here in LA-LA-LAND can only speculate, he kinda moved away from us. He did contact me about selling his X but decided to keep it in the end. He has a beautiful wife Tere and his beautiful 5 year old son Gianni, and is touring the world playing golf and doing some humanitarian efforts (I believe) in his homeland of heritage, the Philippines. My wife keeps me abreast of his activities from time to time.

I think I'll drop him a post to say hi. Great hearing from you as well!

This discussion reminds me of the old days. Several of you guys arguing over who owes who ten dollars. :)

This discussion reminds me of the old days. Several of you guys arguing over who owes who ten dollars. :)

Oh Doc... first off it was $20 bucks and secondly, I have a friend in OR that I jostled with for months on the subject 3 or 4 years ago and he finally sends me a check for $10 bucks, the split I promised him. He got it off my son who thought it was curious that he should ask for it in my behalf, but what the hell, he handed him a $20 dollar bill.

HA... so he sends me this check for $10 bucks and a month later he asks if I'm gonna cash it. (He still writes checks and balances a checkbook... talk about a Luddite!) I hesitated and said... "Well I did, but there seems to be a problem..."

Making a LONG story short... I phonied up a letter and cross-printed in red "INSUFFICIENT FUNDS" on his check and emailed them to him.

He was furious, called the bank and got the manager involved and on and on. He CALLS me very upset saying the check never got to his bank! I said, well I can try and cash it again, but I didn't want this to impose on our friendship... but now I'm out $35 bucks for the returned check fees...

(SHAME ON ME!)

To end this all about a week later as I was kinda out of ideas anyway... he calls me again very upset as he "feels" I don't trust his word... and in fact, he feels I am taking my bank manager's word over his...

(S**T!)

I hadta cave in... the poor SOB needs more help than I regularly do... and I said... "How difficult do you think it is to run a check through an HP printer to print INSUFFICIENT FUNDS on it?"

He literally screamed and slammed the phone down. He told his wife and she fell off her chair laughing her ass off. I had also BCC'd a bunch of our buddies during the entire charade.

One of my best... but he really made it easy.

So... the other day he starts in again after years of this crap behind us and says my son is now even with his $20 bucks, etc. etc... My son responds by saying he generally eats and drinks more than $20 bucks of stuff when he visits his "Uncle Don"... so he's OK...

I write back and say... "Are you guys kidding me? Did you learn anything the last time? Do you really want to get into this again with me?"

Being a bit nostalgic for a moment, back then the X community was a little different. Not so much the people as the market. All sorts of parts - stock and aftermarket performance - were readily available at extremely affordable prices. Cars were also more plentiful and affordable. The "for sale" section was alive every day, including lots of big stashes of items. Seems the community has shrunk a bit and things aren't quite the same. But that is to be expected, everything changes. And it isn't necessarily for the worse, just different.

Hi,

It is with regret that I offer up my X for sale. I just don't have the room to store it anymore and it has not been getting much use these last few years.

Asking $4000.00
Feel free to ask questions and PM if interested.
Thanks,
Bob.

Sorry Bob, we tend to go off on tangents here at Xweb. :rolleyes::) Are you getting any calls on the car? Seems like a pretty good deal for anyone looking for a really good entry into X1/9 ownership.

Yes, our goal for all of the banter was to bring more attention to your sale. ;)

As I said before, it is a very nice car at a nice price.

Dittos from me Bob... I get excited when I have a chance to converse with some old friends... most of which I've never met except for on this forum. On the other hand, when there is an opportunity, I have been honored to have many stop by when they are in the LA area.

Hope all works out for you whichever way this goes...

I have had a couple of calls but not sure how serious they are. I only have it listed here and I certainly don't mind the banter since it does keep me at the top.

I got into old Land Rover Series trucks a few years back and the X has taken a back set. I have a 109 Project being delivered sometime this Summer and I was hoping to free up a bay.

It is great to see you guys still going strong.
Cheers,

I got into old Land Rover Series trucks
I've always admired them, but I already have my hands into too many things. This might be blasphemy, but I'd restore the LR body and mount it onto a modern chassis/drivetrain. I'm not a fan of English mechanicals. But then again I must not be a good model to judge by...I like Italian toys.

... let's not get into the Lucas electrics (The Prince of Darkness) either.

And it is blasphemy as well, but if ya keep the hood shut and yur mouth shut, no one would be the wiser!

Lastly, as Doc said, who are we to judge when we have been playing with Marelli and Bosch junk for over 40 years.

Indeed it is a great buy, especially for the NE. Sorry to hear you feel you must give it up Sounds like a trans re-build is in order but that might be all.

Before you let it go though... have you considered a 4 post lift... taking careful measurements they can even fit in a garage with a standard 8 foot ceiling.

View attachment 23479

A "parking lift" makes it fairly easy to drive on and off the lift. I was even able to bolt on the ramps and close the door. (Note the X is backed on so the door comes up over the frunk.) Most maintenance is so much easier on a lift as well, even polishing the sides or dressing the wheels and tires.

Anyway, after messing with these cars since '83 I have never found a former caretaker that didn't regret selling their X1/9. Unless he/she had at least one more...

Good wishes with whatever you decide.

I’ve been tempted to get one of those parking lifts. I have a 10 ft garage ceiling so height is not a problem. But I’m concerned about how much obstruction would be caused by the posts.

Back