Former dealership scrap x1/9s

LOUIS TERESI

74 & 87 X1/9
The attached pictures are seven X1/9 parts cars sitting here to this day. These cars sat here since they were returned from being leased and used for parts for customer cars. The majority of these cars had only 24K miles. I saw the instrument clusters with the 24K mileage before they were stripped out of these cars.The cars are currently stripped of most of its parts. The cars are located in an overflow lot used by the dealer. The dealer, Ramsey Auto Group (Jeep) is located in Ramsey, New Jersey. The salesman, Lester, who recently retired, told me parts were not coming in from Bertone and they had to strip new cars and cars coming off of lease for parts. Instead of sending these parts cars to the crusher,he saved these cars for anyone that needed parts. He told me Malcom Bricklin was responsible for shipping the last batch of ten Bertone X1/9s to the dealership in 1988. The remaining last four X1/9s were crated and shipped to a wealthy person in Japan who paid twice the MSRP price ($30,000 each). Did you ever see an X1/9 with automatic? Back in 1986, this dealer sold x1/9s with automatic transmissions (not sure how many). At that time, I only saw one X with automatic on the dealer lot. A friend of my girlfriend (now wife) at the time also drove an X1/9 with automatic.

Lou Teresi

Automatic

Hi Lou,

that sure is a sad sight.
Hard to believe that the cars are still there after all those years.

Your post is the first time I gave EVER heared about an X1/9 automatic being available from the factory.
I have never seen one, never seen pics, never read about it in old Bertone brochures or old road tests.
Over the years the subject of converting an X to automatic came up a couple of times and noone ever mentioned them being available from the factory AFAIK.

So I am very interested in details.
Do you have any further infos? Or pictures?

Your post is the first time I gave EVER heared about an X1/9 automatic being available from the factory.
I have never seen one, never seen pics, never read about it in old Bertone brochures or old road tests.

I remember seeing ads in some US magazines, with a slogan that was something along the lines of "Didn't you wish they made one for you?". There was a similar campaign for the 124 spider if I remember correctly.

WOW

worked at little fiat dealership in Richmond ca. and the owner was nicknamed "little Cesar". his son raced and all the new cars were stripped to fix customer's cars. all our stock was in a big box, and all the abarth stuff was on the shelf. well FIAT wasn't to happy with that and shut him down. it was star motors and his 17 year nephew was the parts manager....hmmmm he would show up at 10 in the morning take a two hour lunch and leave at two thirty.
good to have an inside line I guess.
if I knew then what I do now....
mikemo

Hi Bob

The latest I heard was a bunch of guys from Canada in a white van stripped these cars of most of its parts. Just body shells and engine blocks remaining.

Lou Teresi

Hi Ulix

I have no pictures or information on the automatic transmission. I was told it is the same transmission in a Chevy Chevette. I cannot confirm this.

Lou Teresi

Hello Dan

Google maps is amazing. I see the X1/9s at the bottom left. Still there after 25 years. Not much is left other than body shell and engine block.

Lou Teresi

Hi Matt

I wonder if this was done at the dealership or at the Factory. I saw this on a new 86 X1/9 on the dealer lot.

Lou Teresi

Automatic Trans

Re: from Matt Brannon: I'm pretty sure someone could have converted an X to auto by using the early Strada / Ritmo auto trans set-up.

Hey Matt,

Do you have one?

Automatic was done at Factory

Hi Matt,
I recently had a long conversation with the salesman, Lester Weisman. He worked for the dealership when it started selling Fiats in the 70's. I am surprised he is back from retirement. Lester, told me the automatic transmissions were done at the factory and not the dealership. He said the importer brought them into the US this way. The sad news is that the parts cars were recently put in the crusher to make room for new cars.

The Ramapo Jeep/Dodge dealership in NJ was the largest dealership in the US to sell Bertone, Pininfarina and Lancia. The dealership also sold Triumph Stag and Sunbeam Tiger. They also sold the only Sunbeam Tigers in in the US with hardtop and special designed wheels. The last batch was sold to the Sunbeam Tiger club in California. I actually saw a Dark green hard top at the event in Carmel, CA.

Lou Teresi

Miro Kefurt (M.I.K. Automotive)

From mid 1987 to end of the production in 1989 the BERTONE X1/9's were imported to USA by M.I.K. Automotive, Inc. in North Hollywood California, owned by Miro Kefurt, who at that time was number one Bertone dealer in USA and one of the very few that sold exclusively X1/9s. Last four X1/9s were imported to USA in April 1990 (1989 Model Year produced 12/1989).

(MIK advertisement)

I figured he might be able to help shed some light on this but here is what he wrote.(fwiw)

----
There never ever was any Automatic Transmission X1/9 made by FIAT or BERTONE.
They are probably confusing it with YUGO where few were equipped with Renault automatics for testing.
There were few special versions with Supercharger and Oil Cooler system, as well as few test cars with FIAT TURBO UNO engine installed not by BERTONE but by MORETTI.
NONE were retail sold in USA.
I had one Supercharged Car, but sent it back to Nuccio after we did few special modifications to it, and he kept it as a personal car till he died, then Barbara crashed it in Monaco. -Miro Kefurt

Another MIK (funfact)-- Lamborghini Bravo

In December 1987 at the insistence of Miro Kefurt of M.I.K Automotive, Inc. of North Hollywood, California USA, who at that time was the Number One dealer for BERTONE in USA, the BRAVO almost saw a production as a companion version to the BERTONE X1/9, utilizing the same powertrain, but with mechanical supercharger.

Chassis #46.01 shown with 1987 X1/9s at BERTONE Design Studio after "measurement session".

However, shortly after the start of "Project 1", FIAT announced that the power unit (engine and transmission combination) that was used in the US version of BERTONE X1/9 will be discontinued in 1988.

The car was sold during auction in May 2011 which was part of Bertone Museum asset liquidation ordered by Italian Bankruptcy court.

Prior being offered at the auction the Bravo was the only car from the Bertone Museum that was "refreshed".
How much did it sell for?
€588,000 (US$825,400)

Greg,thanks for posting

Great pictures and information. I would like to know where is Nuccoi's car now. Love the Bravo design.

Lou Teresi

I recall you mentioned this a few years back - I had asked at one of the Ramsey group dealers - since they also have Volvo, Mini, etc., if anyone knew the location of the lot - I wanted to go have a look in person - no-one could tell me. From the google map, it appears to be right off of 202 - it's only about 12-15 miles from me. I'll have to see if I can locate it.

Great pictures and information. I would like to know where is Nuccoi's car now. Love the Bravo design.

Lou Teresi

Now we need to speak with Malcolm Bricklin..
Bricklin's import company (IAI) was located 15 minutes from Ramsey in Montvale, NJ.
So with the Ramsey dealership located so close to Bricklin...Ramsey would be the one to get the special treatment you'd think.

Maybe Malcolm had some of the Ramsey X1/9s sent to the Yugo factory for the tranny transplants..just sayin'..:D
Keep looking Lou..dig up a photo!!

Nuccio's personal X1/9s..maybe 2..? (one still lives)

Location..

Should be the 1977 Blue that just sold at the Bertone bankruptcy auction in one lump museum collection.
Staying in Turin,Italy with Automotoclub Storico Italiano (ASI) who are planning to display the entire Bertone collection again.

And now the 1987/88 red? X1/9 Miro Kefurt mentions that Nuccio's daughter Barbara crashed and destroyed.

Back