Formula 850

ramona300

True Classic
I've collected photos of these over the years and often thought I should build one to use some of the stockpile of parts laying about at my place. This one has some photos that might be of interest. The suspension uprights are interesting! The gearbox linkages are quite clever.

Very cool. i would follow the build thread with interest.
So is the gear box flipped over?

Very cool. i would follow the build thread with interest.
I would be very interested to see one done.

Interesting how few 850 parts are used in them. The ones built from Topolinos seemed more Topo…

I would bet they use a 600 engine with an 850 transmission (in some cases).

Some guy in Portland Oregon in the 70's built a sports racer called the Scepture. 850 transaxle flipped over, driven by a Mercury Marine engine.

The 850 transaxle is in a normal upright position, though the entire engine/trans unit has been rotated 180° horizontally. It looks like they're running a clockwise-rotation Fiat 127 (100GL) type engine & just spinning the 850 trans gears backwards.

The 850 transaxle is in a normal upright position, though the entire engine/trans unit has been rotated 180° horizontally. It looks like they're running a clockwise-rotation Fiat 127 (100GL) type engine & just spinning the 850 trans gears backwards.
After looking at it again I believe you are correct. What threw me off is the “drain“ fill? plug on top. None of mine have that.

Is that transaxle like other RWD units where you can simply flip the ring and pinion / differential assembly over inside it to reverse the rotation of everything?

These pics and discussion remind me of some of my earliest experiences seeing real race cars up close in action. As a very young boy living in SoCal my older brother took me to Riverside Raceway a few times for the SCCA races. And I recall walking through the pics and looking at the small home-built open wheel cars (e.g. FV, FF, etc) and thinking..."I could build one of those myself". It was always a dream of mine. So I can appreciate @ramona300 's desire to do so. :)

I have a couple of micro formula Fiat powered racers to add.
Fiat powered Formula 850.
Fiat 500 Giardiniera horizontal 2 cylinder engine racer .

Fiat_850_Guepardo_F3_1966.jpg
fullsizeoutput_2a3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_29d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_295.jpeg

Back