Front brake bleeding q. DONE! (I think!)

Done! For real this time! (I think!) It wasn't actually the washers, but the flange itself was mounted a bit crooked. All it took was loosening the farther-away set of 10mm bolts, squaring the steering column mount flange to the pedal box, then remounting.

... And then I tried to start the car up, and it wouldn't go--and also made a strange clunking noise. Sounded like the clutch wasn't working. And sure enough, when I went to bleed the clutch a bit more at the slave, I lost most of the pedal. Figured it was the tube nut on the hard line coming out of the master clutch cylinder. Right again. I cranked that nut down another 1/2 to 3/4 turn, dragged the S.O. down for (hopefully) one last bleeding session, and the X started right up.

One tip for future amateurs like me: I really wasn't too happy with the soft hose I bought from MWB to replace the reservoir-to-master-cylinder hoses. It was the right size and all, but it wasn't braided and seemed far less flexible than the OEM braided hose. It was prone to kinking, and once kinked, it would develop a weak spot at the kink line--kind of a crease, if you will. And then that spot would become a problem going forward. If I ever have to do this again (heaven forbid), I think I'd try to find braided hose instead.

Back