front bump stop height 128 coupe

ghostdancing

True Classic
do you know what height should be the gummy front bump stops on the 128 coupe? i roughly measured them on my car and are 45mm circa..a forum memeber told me in another thread that the sedan has taller bump stops,so i'm trying to understand if they are correct on my coupe

i already searched in the market, but looks like it's a hard to find part

I did no say the rubber part, that is the same for all 128 as well as X19... I mean the metal part that the rubber pushes into.

The 128 coupe has a shorter METAL part of the bumpstop than the sedans METAL part

If I tell you there s a difference, then there is a difference.

SteveC

Maybe you guys need to post some pics because words are clearly not working here.

here are pics..

here are pics..

I think Carl possibly meant pictures of YOIR bumpstop.... at least from a picture I could tell if you're worried about nothing or if perhaps that it is the cause of your issues....I know what they look like I dont need to see a generic picture

Seriously, If I had have meant bump stop rubbers, don't you think I would have mentioned the word rubber?

SteveC

bumpstop.jpg
128 cat.jpg

Sorry but that picture is next to useless... I need a picture of the whole strut to gauge the length of the bumpstop assembly.

I don't have any 128 coupe bump stops loose, the only pair I have are fitted to my 128 sedan which also has coupe sprngs F&R.

Best I can measure they are appox 100mm long, that is the METAL section,

I can't get a decent picture either and I'm not going to pull my car apart to take a pic for you.

What I do have is a pair of X19 S1 struts handy, and I know the bump stop assembly for the S1 rear is almost identical (could be the exact same part) and also about 100mm long... the x19 S1 rear has the same number of spring coils as a 128 coupe (6.5 winds) so using that as a reference your bump stops look longer by at least a coil, (once again these are not 128 struts, they are X19..)

20210218_155111_LI.jpg

But at a quick glance your bump stop assemblies, they " look" too long, to be 128 coupe, and sedan bump stops will give you only 25mm of suspension travel before the buffer begins to hit the lower spring perch

but without any reference as to how close the rubber buffers are to the lower spring perch I can't tell for sure if they are... but if you have 6.5 wind coils up front, your bump stop rubber buffer is down below wind number 5.... and it will be bottoming out on the bump rubber over even small undulations in the road, so that is likely the cause of your suspension issues.

I should begin charging a consultancy fee for figuring out this stuff, but I'll tell you this for free... if your mechanic installed it like this, find a new mechanic , perche lavoro con gli occhi chiuisi (to quote my Father - works with his eyes closed)

SteveC

Last edited:
hi Steve, i dont..i'm planning a suspension overhaul in the next summer (my 128 driving season is winter)..i'm also waiting for the 1500 motor (since 2 months)..so i hope will have the chance to perform majors upgrades this summer..in the meantime i hate the idea to remain without the red thing (with all her problems it's still so funny..)

so the plan is work on the car when will be hot enough to use this as daily drive

Attachments

• mia2016 3 small.JPG
    mia2016 3 small.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 89
I'm up for any excuse to hit the road on a motorcycle.

Has anyone converted X or 128 struts to more conventional bump stops that go around the strut shaft...like everyone else does?

here in summertime (+ °40 celsius) is masochistic to drive a car..yes someone invented a\c, but i'm too much oldschool for it

Yugo and later(80+) Fiats had them, not sure of the early Strada you had but later incl. Regata yes.
Yugo amrtizer.jpg

Yugo is same spring and shock absorber as EU 128 except the longer rod top to accommodate the Ritmo/Strada, Panda type of the strut top assembly. Can be complete installed in 128 if one drills two holes.
Advantage: it has radial roller bearing in it
Disadvantage: it is probably bit higher assembly hence higher front. Cannot say how much, but my later NuovaRitmoStradaRegata top assembly (3 bolt but on larger radius than 128)on 128 was ~4cm higher...to much without any steering lightness improvement.

if you search through some of the automotive parts suppliers web sites by part no. you can get aleternatieves form varaious suppliers, say Monroe
5978771 uno Monreoe PK013.jpg

7762158 uno monroe PK070.jpg

Back