Front spoiler panel replacement

Grandpa Jones

Daily Driver
Has anyone here done a replacement of the front spoiler corners? Midwest Bayless calls them "fender connectors".

I took a quick look at how they are attached, do you have to drill out spot welds from inside after removing the
headlight casting? Any tips are appreciated.

Cheers, Dave

xfenderconnector.jpg

Any tips are appreciated.
Cut along the inside of the vertical seam lines with a body saw or thin cut-off wheel after removing the front spoiler. Should leave a 1/8" remnant attached to the edge of the fender. Instead of drilling out the spot welds, I normally use a flap disc and grind the rest of the edge away. Headlight pod needs to come out of the car to clamp the fender/connector seams together and weld their top edge with a mig. You may have to drill out a spot weld or two around the parking light area - varies a little between early and late cars how the inner support is welded in. It's a little tedious but really not that hard once you muster up the courage to start cutting!

I might have a good pair of corners available. I removed both from my current build in favor of a custom front air dam. But off hand I don't recall where I cut them and what shape they are in. Overall the car isn't rusty so at the very least they might be good to use a patches to replace the bad portion on yours. Remind me if I don't get back to you in a day or two about their condition (I forget things very easily).

Cut along the inside of the vertical seam lines with a body saw or thin cut-off wheel after removing the front spoiler. Should leave a 1/8" remnant attached to the edge of the fender. Instead of drilling out the spot welds, I normally use a flap disc and grind the rest of the edge away. Headlight pod needs to come out of the car to clamp the fender/connector seams together and weld their top edge with a mig. You may have to drill out a spot weld or two around the parking light area - varies a little between early and late cars how the inner support is welded in. It's a little tedious but really not that hard once you muster up the courage to start cutting!
Thanks much, that is a big help. I wasn't sure where to start digging.

Cheers, Dave

I might have a good pair of corners available. I removed both from my current build in favor of a custom front air dam. But off hand I don't recall where I cut them and what shape they are in. Overall the car isn't rusty so at the very least they might be good to use a patches to replace the bad portion on yours. Remind me if I don't get back to you in a day or two about their condition (I forget things very easily).
That would be great, let me know when you find them. I'm doing a rust inventory on my '77, and making a list of parts I'll need.

Cheers, Dave

I would think long and hard about just replacing that rusty section since the rest of that piece appears in good order. If the Doctor has the part you could make a patch panel and leave the other 90% of that corner section alone.

I would think long and hard about just replacing that rusty section since the rest of that piece appears in good order. If the Doctor has the part you could make a patch panel and leave the other 90% of that corner section alone.
That is what I was thinking, the panel is otherwise solid.

I agree. And more than likely the sections I have were not removed in their entirety. So they will only be good for patch pieces.

Grandpa, I dug out my corner pieces I have. I'll send a message to your "conversations" page with pics.

Back