Front sway bar mount

carl

True Classic
This is how the front sway bar was attached on my 77X. Never seen cable clamps used but I guess it would work. Any reason not to continue using this method (yes, the right one is lose and slid off the sway bar).

Also, is there any real advantage to running a front sway bar on a street driven X?

IMG_0277[3].JPG

Hey @carl You should take a look at the kit I have sitting in my garage. I suspect you are going to want some type of bushing between the bar and frame. What do the ends of the bar look like?

Zoiks! Does it clank around a lot in motion?

You really need some rubber or urethane in there to take up some of the bind/twist/rub. Otherwise it will just wear down the weakest point in the system until it breaks.

As for running a front bar on a street car, yes it is beneficial, helps a lot with the body roll. However, it's subjective, it may be you prefer the handling without it. I preferred the bar myself. Then I got greedy and added a rear bar, which was probably too much for the street, and introduced a weird oversteer at the exit of corners. I would not recommend that for street tires. On a track with slicks it was ok though, the extra mechanical grip of the tires seemed to be able to control the weird oversteer better.

Pete

Wow... in another thread I mentioned the bizarre things I have found that people had done to these cars. This is a new one. Maybe I should start keeping a blog of these.

The clamps, if tight enough to not slip off the bar, will be tight enough to bind the bar and radius arms severely. Bushings are needed to permit the bar to flex and not bind or bend the radius arm.

This is an X1/9 Addco swaybar, installed using the supplied hardware. While far from an ideal design, as a moderate street bar, it works reasonably well.
0623181155a.jpg
0623181155.jpg

Clamping the bar directly to the radius arms transfers all of the bar's load directly into the radius arm at the end of the bar. I would be willing to bet that the radius arm is now probably bent at the point where the swaybar ends. Or at the very least, it has been fatigued significantly through repeated alternating loads as the front wheels move in opposite directions from road irregularities or body roll.

I prefer having a front swaybar on my street cars. It significantly reduces body roll and improves stability and feedback significantly.

Ok, thanks guys The car came this way, I have not driven it yet but I'm definitely removing the bar and tossing it in the trash (unless someone wants it.
Ed, we can talk.

I had to look twice to realize the perspective of the photo and where that bar is mounted. As its been noted, this arrangement does not have any movement for the bar. But that is the design, it isn't intended to move. It is not like typical sway bars that pivot toward the front and swing. This type pretty much anchors the two trailing arms (radius rods) together rather solidly. Perhaps is was designed with a more forgiving bar to account for that. There have been vehicles with the same design from the factory. It works, but the suspension was intended for it. No idea what the long term effects are with it on the X, however it actually appears to have survived so far. Any idea how long it has been there? Any evidence of bushing damage, rod damage, etc? It can offer a greater amount of control over the usual style, but there might be trade offs for that. Probably better for a track car. One benefit is improved ground clearance over the more traditional type sway bar. As for the type of clamps it has, that's the same basic arrangement as most American vehicles used for the rear leaf springs for decades; a U-bolt and bracket mounted directly onto the components. Perhaps it's not as bad as first impressions may indicate? Curious who it was manufactured by.

Ok, thanks guys The car came this way, I have not driven it yet but I'm definitely removing the bar and tossing it in the trash (unless someone wants it.
Ed, we can talk.
If you are going to toss it, I would take it.

There is no evidence of damage to the radius rods. I would imagine this mod was done a long time ago, I don't think the guy I bought the car from did this. There is no identification on the rod.

Rodger, this would be an absolute bastard to box up to mail, not that heavy but a large box would be needed given the over all dimensions of what is a U-shaped item.

Rodger, I had the wrong idea of how big it is, I actually looked at it again this morning and realized that a box my daughter's new shutters showed up in will be just right. I'll send you a private message when I get around to boxing it up.

The late Mark Plaia designed a very clever mounting system for X1/9 front swaybars.
Difficult to see details in that tiny image, but it looks like the more traditional design where the bar pivots toward the front. That style articulates on each side much like a suspension arm, rather than anchor solidly to both sides. I would imagine the pivoting/articulation type offers a more comfortable street ride.

This is how the front sway bar was attached on my 77X. Never seen cable clamps used but I guess it would work. Any reason not to continue using this method (yes, the right one is lose and slid off the sway bar).

Also, is there any real advantage to running a front sway bar on a street driven X?

View attachment 12257
Carl, that looks like a 124 front bar. Low buck, low tech attempt to add a sway bar to the front of an X. The mount Mr. Plaia engineered looks like a much better solution to me.

Hello Alain
If you go with Plaia kit also you may be need the reinforcement plate from Christ Obert. Check the link.

Plaia designed front sway bar mounting kit
REINFORCING-KIT-FOR-164MOUNT
Pictures at bottom of the thread
Merci Yves. I have spoken with Chris and I now have a clear view of the Plaia set up which I prefer to others. I will therefore order the front set. I am still looking for an adjustable Coil Over set. The one by MWB with Koni is quite expensive. I have been using Tokiko 5-way adjustable struts on my Miata and am very satisfied with them. Perfect combo for street and, when needed, for track. Vick says Tokiko inserts are difficult to find. They also have AGX and I've asked if they adjustable for Compression and Rebound, like Tokiko. Enfin, la recherche se poursuit et tes suggestions sont très appréciées. Alain

Back