Front trunk cable replacement

Not sure what a brake cable diameter is, but it's going to be stronger and I can't imagine it wouldn't fit in the housing. On the other hand, I would also think using bicycle brake cable housing would be a good thing also. Real stuff, though...from a bike shop, not Walmart.

Adding to these excellent suggestions;

The emergency cable on mine was a joke. The wire was thinner than fishing line and the pull handle was nothing more than a rubber grommet. More importantly it was broken...rust ate through the micro gauge wire (clearly not stainless). I'm not sure if this was the original parts, but if yours are the same as I described then I suggest replacing it with heavier stuff. Otherwise your rear panel will have the same hole drilled in it as mine.

I recall reading earlier posts where using bicycle cable eventually failed where it looped through the little hole in the latch's lever. Basically it rubbed through the cable. Perhaps adding a piece of shielding around the cable where it passes through the little hole will help avoid this. I'm thinking a smaller version of something like this:

Wire_rope_with_thimble_and_ferrule.jpg

P.S. Isn't bicycle brake cable much heavier than derailleur cable? Or is that what you were saying Chris?

It's a little heavier and intended for more of a load I suppose. I guess bike cable is going to be far more resistant to elements and if you use the housing it's quite luxurious, but the potential for wear at points of abrasion is a factor, so the attachment to the latch itself would probably be best re-envisioned. In the case of my 85 and the cable set I got from MWB, it was great and i didn't feel like it was worthwhile to redesign the whole thing! (But if I did, I'd probably use bike parts)

Back