Front Trunk/frunk/bonnet channel drain

It doesn't make sense that it would be a factory hole - if so, there would have to be another in the Frunk for it to drain into the nose area behind the grille., with a tube in between. It would also be a formed (tube, flanged) hole like the rear L&R tub drains in the bay. Sounds homemade or actually a rusted through spot weld

It doesn't make sense that it would be a factory hole - if so, there would have to be another in the Frunk for it to drain into the nose area behind the grille., with a tube in between. It would also be a formed (tube, flanged) hole like the rear L&R tub drains in the bay. Sounds homemade or actually a rusted through spot weld
There is a perfectly centred hole in the Frunk for water to drain into the nose area; that at least works to a degree. Also, the question was indeed whether the tube connecting the one in the channel and the frunk hole was missing, however if so many are "missing" I will have to conclude that there never was one. I have seen numerous cars with odd rain channels: look at the 60s Mustang rear screen area drains for example.

I doubt it is a spot weld there because the panel looks like one stamp. All I can say is that it is a poor design from the factory which surely can be improved?

I will add my vote to those that say there is no hole from the factory. I have three X1/9s and none of them have the hole. Also, none of them have any rust issues there, either. Other places, yes.

Had a look at this today and decided to remove the frunk rubber seal and waxoyl the lip all the way around and the front channel plus spray some rust converter on a few spots. This was prompted by this thread and that by running my hand under the lip of the front channel I could feel crusty bits!

With that treated and waxoyl‘d I noted there is a small hole in the frunk right at the front in a small depression. I presume to allow water to exit if it enters via the front badge?

Afterwards I parked the car on the flat and washed the frunk lid and observed that the water runs cleanly away left and right via the channel. The wax seems to help it run with no water left sitting. For me I’d fill any hole there and just coat the channel with some waxoyl.

There is a perfectly centred hole in the Frunk for water to drain into the nose area; that at least works to a degree. Also, the question was indeed whether the tube connecting the one in the channel and the frunk hole was missing, however if so many are "missing" I will have to conclude that there never was one. I have seen numerous cars with odd rain channels: look at the 60s Mustang rear screen area drains for example.

I doubt it is a spot weld there because the panel looks like one stamp. All I can say is that it is a poor design from the factory which surely can be improved?
I'm with you. Seems way too many X's have rot in the front nose cover, forward hood lip, channel. And looking at how that rot migrates, it appears to begin at or around the channel in question. Which suggests water must collect there. So providing a drain may help, if it is designed with a path to exit as you suggest. However I think the other option of protecting the area like @NEG just described may be sufficient also. Fortunately I don't have to worry much about water runoff here, but even my X (with original paint) that has lived its entire life in this desert has the beginnings of a little surface rust there after 45 years. I'll take care of it when I repaint the car.

I'm with you. Seems way too many X's have rot in the front nose cover, forward hood lip, channel. And looking at how that rot migrates, it appears to begin at or around the channel in question. Which suggests water must collect there. So providing a drain may help, if it is designed with a path to exit as you suggest. However I think the other option of protecting the area like @NEG just described may be sufficient also. Fortunately I don't have to worry much about water runoff here, but even my X (with original paint) that has lived its entire life in this desert has the beginnings of a little surface rust there after 45 years. I'll take care of it when I repaint the car.
All thoughts are very appreciated: today I put a bead of plumbers sealant (no seam sealant to hand but this will do the same job) along the front seam in the frunk, arranged some rain catch containers in that area, temporarily covered the channel hole as an experiment and gave one coat of anti-rust paint to the channel. Next the Waxoil and then......investigate a better exit route.

Yes NEG that is the front frunk hole which I believe must be "factory". I sealed up the badge holes front and rear with gutter sealant too; the rear definitely works.

I would have liked to use it this weekend but front lighting problems stopped that: another thread will ensue....

RDS

Last edited:
I have bowed to the inevitable after a heavy downpour last week in which my margarine catch-cans in the nose void filled with water, and filled the drilled hole with gutter sealant. I'll see what happens in the next rain storm but my application of plumbers seal along the nose seam joint was a good idea I think.

RDS

Back