Front Trunk/frunk/bonnet channel drain

RDS

True Classic
Whilst on other jobs, I noted that there was what looks like a drain hole in the channel immediately behind and in line with the "point" in the wedge shape of the bonnet hood; there is also a hole in the frunk further toward the front of the car.

I assume that these holes are purposely there for draining rain/water ingress - whether this is successful of not seems to depend on how the car is parked; road camber and slope will affect which way the water will go; however this what I would like to know: is there supposed to be a tube connecting the holes and is there some sort of funnel going through the hole in the channel to keep the tube in place?

If not, I do not like the way that water can just accumulate until it finds its own way out.......one way or another......

Please advise!
cheers

RDS

Whilst on other jobs, I noted that there was what looks like a drain hole in the channel immediately behind and in line with the "point" in the wedge shape of the bonnet hood; there is also a hole in the frunk further toward the front of the car.

I assume that these holes are purposely there for draining rain/water ingress - whether this is successful of not seems to depend on how the car is parked; road camber and slope will affect which way the water will go; however this what I would like to know: is there supposed to be a tube connecting the holes and is there some sort of funnel going through the hole in the channel to keep the tube in place?

If not, I do not like the way that water can just accumulate until it finds its own way out.......one way or another......

Please advise!
cheers

RDS
It would likely get in the way of storing the top, it sits right under there.

That thought struck me too but a curved loop of tube might get round the edge of the roof. But surely the roof is on for longer than it is off and that will coincide with it raining anyway. Is this set up really dependent on the water just finding its own way out?

Yea, but it seems to work, I don't notice any lakes in my front cowl as long as the drains are clear.. 124 spiders have basically the same set up but they vent through the firewall with rubber one way valves that just get clogged with leaves. NA Miatas have the same type of drain for the area the top folds into and they are notorious for getting clogged with leaves and debris and then letting water run down into the cabin and soak the carpets.

I do not believe there is supposed to be a hole in the drain channel where it comes to a point at the front. I have 3 Xs here with there hoods propped open and the only one with a hole there is my raceX. The hole is a rust hole and has a couple friends in that drain channel as well. :(

It is an awkward location to look at or photograph, so I ran my finger through the channels to feel for a hole. I found none. This is the best picture I could get. For clarity, are asking about a hole in the bottom of the drain channel where the black arrow is pointing?
IMG_2111note.JPG
There is no hole there in my 85 or 86 Xs. The hole in the black circle has a screw in it in both the 85 and 86. I thought I recalled a hole under the carpet retainer in the green circle, but I was wrong, they are spot welded to the radiator hump. I thought they were stamped out of it. Nope.

I walked out to take another look at that front channel, since I suddenly wondered: "Where does the water go?". It looks like the intention was for that channel to drain into the headlight buck area and then onto the ground. Notice how the frunk seal protects the frunk tub from water, but lets any water in the channels flow to the cowl and headlight areas. I didn't get a picture, but the ends of the front channel are open and dump right into the headlight area on both sides.

IMG_2056.JPG

Last edited:
I am not sure it does work well at all Carl: we had a light shower and when i had a look (before trying to fit a tube) the water collected along the front seem weld; it will run up and down there until it gets under the panels and rusts. The water is not entering via the badge though: I sealed it.

Jim yes the hole is where your arrow is and it is a perfect round hole rather than a rust-bust through: the other holes were more irregular because water cannot escape. The hole where you have the green circle is open. That's why I thought there must have been a drain tube.

If you park down hill, that channel will hold a fair bit of water before going down the headlamp buckets and that is where more rust can start.

Initial experiments show that water can flow down a narrow tube under little or no extra pressure than usual gravity but the tube does not want to stay there unaided.

Maybe you can find a small funnel and use seam sealer to fix it to the sheet metal under the hole in the frunk. Attaching it under will not leave a lip above to obstruct the water you want to drain. Then attach the tube to the funnel. It would need to be small, so you may need to just keep your eyes open for any little funnel like object that might serve the purpose.

My solution: I keep my Xs indoors. I am lucky in that regard.
20200927_125104.jpg
It is a little cramped, but they stay dry. :)

I see now that the drains I was talking about are in the windshield cowl, I guess you guys are talking about something else.

No problem Carl.

Yes Jim that is the preferred solution but alas no more space inside. I have tried everything to hand for use as a funnel, including cutting down masonry Rawl plugs, to no avail. I'll keep looking.

It is pouring with rain now.

RDS

Good question RDS. I don't recall any holes along the front channel rail on any of mine, but I'd have to look closer to confirm that. Regardless, I agree that channel does not drain well. Every X I've had, and most others that I've noticed, have some rust along there. And it can get REALLY bad on some, taking out the entire front nose panel or even the hood itself. So a drain system of some sort may be a good idea.

Looking at your car, do you think it would be better to have drain holes in that channel vs none? How about three holes, center and toward each end? Or does that just make the problem worse elsewhere? The frunk floor has drains, so if the water travels there it will eventually get out. I'd have to look at the area again to see where the water would go.

I do not believe there is supposed to be a hole in the drain channel where it comes to a point at the front. I have 3 Xs here with there hoods propped open and the only one with a hole there is my raceX. The hole is a rust hole and has a couple friends in that drain channel as well. :(

It is an awkward location to look at or photograph, so I ran my finger through the channels to feel for a hole. I found none. This is the best picture I could get. For clarity, are asking about a hole in the bottom of the drain channel where the black arrow is pointing?
View attachment 46711
There is no hole there in my 85 or 86 Xs. The hole in the black circle has a screw in it in both the 85 and 86. I thought I recalled a hole under the carpet retainer in the green circle, but I was wrong, they are spot welded to the radiator hump. I thought they were stamped out of it. Nope.

I walked out to take another look at that front channel, since I suddenly wondered: "Where does the water go?". It looks like the intention was for that channel to drain into the headlight buck area and then onto the ground. Notice how the frunk seal protects the frunk tub from water, but lets any water in the channels flow to the cowl and headlight areas. I didn't get a picture, but the ends of the front channel are open and dump right into the headlight area on both sides.

View attachment 46712

Like Jim, I find no such hole on my '85. And like Jim, I am fortunately enough to have a spot in the garage for the X1/9. And just to one-up Jim, even my garage hardly gets rained on; since July 1 of 2020 we have only received 5.28" or rain here.

Does the hole look original, or does it look like it might have been drilled by a previous owner (edges of the hole painted etc.)? I would first seal up the hole in front of the frunk seal and see if this keeps water out of the frunk.

Hello Jeff

yes I think that a drain at the lowest point ie from the trough of the Vee in the hood is the best place; but getting the water to flow away using some some of funnel drain is proving difficult. Adding more holes before I have solved how to deal with one will cause more issues, I think...(reminds me of the funny old story where a man shouts for help to the shore because his rowing boat has a hole in it and water is entering. The man on the shore tells him to make another one to let the water out....)

I am not a fan of allowing water to find it own way out because that usually means the water just rusts its way through, (the doors are a case in point here) and that is after soaking the carpet and anything else in the vicinity or allowing mould and mildew to grow.

Musing on this maybe some sort of plastic collector under the hole, like a dashboard windscreen vent...

RDS

Like Jim, I find no such hole on my '85. And like Jim, I am fortunately enough to have a spot in the garage for the X1/9. And just to one-up Jim, even my garage hardly gets rained on; since July 1 of 2020 we have only received 5.28" or rain here.

Does the hole look original, or does it look like it might have been drilled by a previous owner (edges of the hole painted etc.)? I would first seal up the hole in front of the frunk seal and see if this keeps water out of the frunk.
hello Bjorn

many thanks for looking for me.

It might be an original hole because it is not an easy place to drill vertically with the hood in place; sadly I did not notice if the edge was painted before I tried to enlarge it slightly. However it is a sensible place for a DIY attempt. Filling the hole will just allow water to sit there: the car is parked either on a slope front to back or a side slope due to roadside camber and the inevitable rust will return to the channel and then to the frunk as it works through.

RDS

This humidifier drain thingy looks too large, but it is along the lines I was thinking. How large is the hole? I saw some aquarium air hose right angle connectors that might be able to be repurposed, with enough sealant! :) Use a right angle and stick it up from the bottom with enough sealant to hold the horizontal tube section to the sheet metal. Once the sealant cures, trim the vertical tube off flush in the channel. Stop by a local pet store and see if they sell individual parts.

yes that is the sort of thing thanks. the hole is only about 3mm diameter and the smallest hose from the DIY store was slightly too large so I applied a pencil sharpener around it and resulting cone on the hose will go in the hole but not securely enough. I will see what I can get locally. Making the hole larger is not easy due to poor access from above and from below even using a 90deg drill attachment.

After a stormy night here: much rain and some trees down, I had a look at the frunk this morning.

Experiment was not a success: the deep plastic tub, which I had put in last night, was full of water and the frunk front area was soaked with more water because it could not exit the dedicated drain hole, which had the tube stuck in it!!

I am not sure there is going to be an easy answer here: if I block the hole in the hood channel up the water will sit there until it overflows one side and then the rest of the water will continue to sit there. if I leave the hole open, a lot of water will collect in the frunk until it finds a way out.

The front edge of the hood panels could do with some seem sealer or plumbers' putty at least.

RDS

Neither of my X’s have a hole in the channel.

I think the car is dependent on being used and have the water whipped to each side and out the headlight pods by vigorous cornering.

You need to drive your car harder :)

No hole in mine either, I’d coat the channel in waxoyl and under the frunk seal, park at an angle then move on to something else

Clearly you are not obsessive compulsive like me. :p
or me!!

but yes Kmead, the car does indeed get put through some cornering forces.

I will see how much water is caught over the next few days and possibly seal up the perfectly formed hole and treat the channel with body-matching anti-rust paint.

AND move onto the next issue (headlamp pods not lowering all of a sudden), worrying all the time about everything to do with the car!!

Back