1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front trunk lid self-open and support

Discussion in 'Workshop Forum' started by jovani, Dec 5, 2017.

1. jovani

jovani Daily Driver

Another practical biiiiiig improvement is mounting trunk lid gas struts. One finger pull-to-open, one finger push-to-close required, no more shoulder support till rod is positioned, no more one side twisting tension to open or close. Access to store the targa top is not limited in any way. Conversion time is about 20 minutes. 20171205_110440.jpg

Peter Cecil, Tavalin and darwoodious like this.
  2. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I see in your other post you are offering your improved item for sale. Is this also available? if so, price? Thanks.

3. +1

4. Fiati

Fiati Low Mileage

5. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

There are a number of DIY threads on this, which I used many years ago to do mine - however, if you are offering a kit, that will certainly make it easier :D

6. jovani

jovani Daily Driver

Nothing to sell about this one, I can tell you where exactly to drill 4 small holes, what gas struts to buy and in 15 minutes you have awesome and practical solution to the very awkward stock trunk opening way. When I first did it 10 years ago, I kept open and close the lid may be hundred times in a row, couldn't stop enjoying the action :)

7. mkmini

mkmini True Classic

Please tell me which ones and where to drill? Lid felt on my head while changed bulb :D damage was 1cm from eye

8. jovani

jovani Daily Driver

You can contact me at 610-732-9306 for details, thinking of a way to post a hole location pattern in this forum.

9. jovani

jovani Daily Driver

Call me 610-732-9306

10. jovani

jovani Daily Driver

Lookforjoe, there is no kit as such, just 2 struts from Autozone (will check the part # tomorrow), 2 bolts and 4 holes to drill yourself. I don't think anyone will want to pay me to buy and send him locally available parts :) But for $60 I'll do it :) :) :)

Dr.Jeff likes this.
  11. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Yes, please share any details you have on this. I do recall quite a long time ago this was described here on the forum. Perhaps in the archives the
    "how to" thread exists. But if you have current info that would be great. Thanks.

I'd still love to see more photos of your other upgrade items also.

12. jovani

jovani Daily Driver

As I said, feel free to call me at 610 732 9306

Afretired and Dr.Jeff like this.