FS: Complete European spec top end

Eastep

True Classic
Selling my Euro head and cam. This is a complete top end (matching head & cam /box)
This was pulled from a running later UK delivered X1/9 with approximately 50k kilometers. Can be installed as is. $700obo

Last edited:
I assume this is for a 1500 cc engine?
Yes. Your assumption is correct.
This is probably one of the best options for a performance build, using OEM parts. It's the largest valved X1/9 head with the highest lift/duration camshaft. Also note worthy is that this is a 14bolt head.
I do have access to 10bolt Euro heads and two additional "big" Euro camshafts.

Do you have a 10 bolt euro 1500 head 4444407? I'm building a 1500 for the blue car and would to avoid custom pistons or resurfacing a USA head 1.5 mm.

Can you provide more info for the 4444407 head? I have limited info on this particular casting. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Is this European specific? Carbed or EFI?
Currently we can only offer a 14bolt head
Casting 7575664. From a few late model UK delivered cars 85-87. No EFI.
These mount to standard 10 bolt heads without modifications. Use the standard 10bolt head gasket.

Last edited:
Don't want to hijack this thread but the 4444407 head is a 10 bolt 1500 euro head. It does not have the milled recess to lower the compression like in the USA market heads. The 4444407 head is for carb not EFI.

can you post photos of head 757664? Especially combustion chamber photo
I'll try to swing by and grab a pic tomorrow. Is there something in particular that you want to see?
Otherwise, it looks like literally every other cylinder head without a decompression ring

Just curious, did the Euro motors use the same pistons as the US spec motor and only depended on the head for higher compression? Also what was the compression ratio of the Euro motor?

Pistons are the same. Using a Euro spec head will put you at the EU rated 9.2:1 vs the 8.5:1 in NA spec. Using small fly cut pistons with a Euro spec head, will get you around in the 10.5:1 range, according to Steve's Ultimate SOHC numbers.

Given that the factory spec for the NA market engine is wrong (actually 8.1:1 rather than the claimed 8.5:1), I wonder if the stock Euro spec of 9.2:1 is accurate? I'm sure someone has measured and calculated it? I believe Steve's reference to 10.5:1 with small flycut pistons was an actual calculation(?), but I don't recall if he did that for the standard pistons? No disrespect to Steve at all, I highly appreciate all the excellent info he has offered, but there are sections of his manual that I have a difficult time following accurately. I think much of this might be a slight language barrier between Australian english and American english. However a rewrite of the manual with new (replaced) photos and clearer descriptions would make it worthy of publication as a book. :)

I recall having a chance to take a good look to compare a US market head & a European head about 18-20 years ago when the latter was being prepped to install on what now through a long chain of events has become my car. At the time, some friends and I bought a few European heads w/ cams and this one was the only one that got properly prepped up & installed (with a different cam as it turned out). Unfortunately, I ended up selling mine after I sold the X1/9 I sold at the time & I was sure I'd never own an X1/9 in the future. Ha!

Back