Fuel filter and 'growing old' from Discussion section

Coupefan

True Classic
I finally got around to getting the X running after trying a new control module, ignition module, airflow meter, double relay, etc. along with a bunch of measurements. None of that did the trick. I never bothered with the fuel filter, because 'I just replaced it 2 or 3 years ago'. Nope. Pulled it out, rotated it and noticed some slight evidence of paint overspray, from when the car was painted...at least dating to 2006 or earlier. Yep, I'm losing my mind. Getting old sucks.

My favorite old-think still has to be the gremlins that steal parts that I've bagged and tagged and placed carefully so I will be able to find them again. And then, after I buy the replacement parts that I need because I can't find the ones I need, the ones that I've bagged and tagged show up within minutes. :mad::mad::mad:

That never used to happen when I was 25. :rolleyes:

after I buy the replacement parts that I need because I can't find the ones I need, the ones that I've bagged and tagged show up within minutes
Yep, definitely sounds like a serious case of "Old Fart's Disease"!!
Oddly enough, my O.F.D. seems to come and then go away for a few hours?
I can read the morning newspaper and remember what I had read at about lunchtime, but then I have to go back and look at the newspaper again when someone rings up later in the afternoon to say "did you see that article about ol' Fred in today's newspaper?" :confused:

cheers, IanL - NZ

All so true. I remember my dad having a very common response. When I'd go visit their home for a couple days I would help with various repairs needed. In the process I would need a tool and ask him "Do you have a ***?". The answer was always "Yes......(wait for it)....., somewhere".

Speaking of the fuel filter being the cause of the problem. They are large filters that hold a ton of foreign material, so there must be a lot of rust of other contamination in your tank. Worth pulling it to check/clean out.

I had a BMW with similar injection system as the X. It suddenly began running very rough, stalling, missing. While going through everything I discovered the Bosch brand fuel filter (large metal can, like the ones on the X) had broken apart internally. The bits of filter media and accumulated crap went through the system clogging injectors, etc. It was a mess to clean out, but once I did it ran great again. That filter had been on the car for a few years so my fault I guess, but I've never known a fuel filter to fail like that. Perhaps the occasional use of fuel additive injector cleaners?

Back