Fuel line size

Mike Schofield

True Classic
looking to revamp my fuel system this winter. Anyone know the stock fuel line size and where I might be able to get some for a reasonable price? I was thinking amazon...

looking to revamp my fuel system this winter. Anyone know the stock fuel line size and where I might be able to get some for a reasonable price? I was thinking amazon...
I purchased fuel hoses from NAPA for a 1500 FI. High pressure and the low pressure side.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Last edited:
Technically the specific sizes are metric and therefore different from what most US suppliers carry in inch sizes. I do not know about up there in Canada though. However some hose manufacturers have gone to producing hoses that are sized in between the marginally different metric and inch diameters, making them "universal" for either application - a tad tight on some and loose on others. If you use the correct high pressure type clamps (below) then you can get away with it (our metric application is the one that's slightly loose), especially on a low pressure carb engine. But it would always be best to get the actual metric size hose, especially if you have a FI (high pressure) engine. If you choose to use the true metric sizes and it is not readily available in Canada, then you can order it online. Also some shops that specialize in German cars may carry it. The actual sizes depend on carb vs FI as Dan said, plus which parts of the fuel system you need it for (more than one size is used).

7.5mm high pressure from the pump all the way through to the fuel injectors, 7.5mm low pressure from the regulator to the tank though you can use the high pressure line.

12mm low pressure hose from the tank to the fuel pump. (This is a corrected diameter)

7.5mm low pressure for all the vapor lines

These sizes are the interior dimension of the line.

Do not accept 8mm line for the high pressure fuel injection line.

Last edited:
If you use the correct high pressure type clamps (below)
Guess I forgot to include the image of the clamp:
fic_7.jpg

For some reason I'm thinking that is 12mm rather than 10mm? Seems like people have used 1/2" hose for it. But I may be thinking of VW stuff.

Great now you have me second guessing... I will check. I hate when I proffer up bad info.

Right you are 11/12mm hose for the feed line to the pump. Drat.

Corrected in my original post. My apologies and I appreciate others looking over the stuff we post.

View attachment 25342

Thanks. I did some research and found some on eBay for a decent price. I’ll post pictures and a follow up when installed.

Amazon is also an acceptable vendor, look for a good brand (Continental). Bernice had the actual spec in one of her posts which is a great way to look for products that you know will meet the need.

The part numbers for Continental hoses has changed in recent years. They merged under a larger conglomerate and renamed their products. So there are two numbers floating around out there for any given spec of ContiTech/CRP hose. Same product, just more confusing to track down sometimes.

Basically I got the specs from one of the vendors and matched it. 7.5mm Id and 13.5mm od or 3mm wall thickness. Also, a relatively high working and burst pressure rating.

I'm looking for high pressure fuel hose for a 1986 Fuel Injected but I can't seem to find what the pressure rating is that I need. It never occurred to me that that would be a variable. I found this at a good price - https://www.belmetric.com/braided-metric-hose-oem-c-14_138/rh75-braided-hose-75mm-p-8316.html I spoke with the company, and the working pressure is 101 psi. Is that acceptable? If not, what should I be looking for? Thanks very much in advance.

I'm looking for high pressure fuel hose for a 1986 Fuel Injected but I can't seem to find what the pressure rating is that I need. It never occurred to me that that would be a variable. I found this at a good price - https://www.belmetric.com/braided-metric-hose-oem-c-14_138/rh75-braided-hose-75mm-p-8316.html I spoke with the company, and the working pressure is 101 psi. Is that acceptable? If not, what should I be looking for? Thanks very much in advance.

The typical operating pressure for our L-Jet systems is 30 psi, and the fuel pressure regulator on our systems maxxes out at 36psi. IIRC the Bosch pumps fitted to our FI systems are rated for a max of about 45psi.

So the hose you asked about should be just fine.

SAE 30R14T2 is a good specification for both burst strength and ethanol impermeability. My local O'Reillys had some sold as "5/16" in stock. A quick check with the calipers confirmed it is really 7.5mm (USA, Myanmar, and Liberia so far are the only cultures technically advanced enough to adopt the new pound/foot/cubit system:rolleyes:). The stuff is expensive at $6.50/ft but I was really impressed with the quality. It dulls blades quickly too. MWB carries the 7.5mm N18030E which is NBR/CR rated. I bought and installed a piece as a test and it is also holding up well.

Fuel hose is just like a tire now with date of manufacture so if its more than 2 or 3 years old it's probably out of spec.

Back