Fuse

Hackerjay

Daily Driver
Any source for the short fuse in the fuse box? I can wire around it with better fuse but would prefer to just pop a fuse back in and be back on the road with both a working fuel pump and head light motor, not one or the other.
Jay

Take the element from a "long" ceramic fuse of the correct value and fold it so it fits on a short ceramic fuse body. Be sure the folds don't touch each other.

We recently discussed this. Unfortunately they are no longer available. You can try to modify long ones as suggested by Don, try bending the prongs back to accept the long ones, or try converting them to modern style fuses by either soldering in-line holders onto the prongs or getting behind the fuse panel and plugging them into the appropriate terminals. Please let us know what you do and how it works.

The plan if I can not find another in my "pile of stuff" is to solder onto the terminals and run an ATE type in line fuse holder. Last time I needed one I found one in side a fuse holder from a car I must have stripped 30 years ago. Fiat plus has one of these in line fuse holders for sale NOS with the fuse for $10 which would be the easy way to fix this. I parted out Fiat's for a living in the early 1980's then some time in the early 2000's I came across a guy moving who was selling his Fiat and Abarth parts. He was not sure what he had, nor was I. We came up with a really low figure I thought for everything, he would not know for sure what he was selling nor I what I was buying until we loaded the parts. Was kind of fun, I ended up with some NOS abarth parts as he had just restored and then sold a 750 double bubble, some 600 parts, parts from an 850 race car, some multipla as well as twin cam parts. I still do not know what all I have. The parts were stacked as high as the cab of my flat bed F350 and filled the entire back seat. Life is tough, I am having to not drive the Lancia until I get around to doing this instead I am driving the Mondial.
BTW, the fuse did not blow, it simply broke from age.
Jay

Jay, not sure if you saw it but another member just did the fix by soldering in-line fuses onto the terminals (dig through the thread):

Any inline fuse holder will work and they are dirt cheap on eBay or AliExpress, or found at many of your local stores.
Instead of soldering it onto the metal contact tabs, I'd suggest lifting the fuse block up from the box (two screws) and attach the in-line holder's leads directly to the wire contact terminals on the bottom side of the fuse block, with push-on connectors attached to the ends of the holder's wires.

BTW, the fuse did not blow, it simply broke from age.
This relates to my concern on the method of modifying a "long" fuse element to fit the "short" fuse ceramic. These are 3 amp fuses, which have an incredibly thin element. Bending a long one into a "U" shape to fit the short ceramic is likely to break it, or worse weaken it so it blows too easily.

Back