garage heating question

I have explained the reason for not doing insulation first. not in the budget. I need to get the place warmer and less stinky NOW. Ideal, no. will I be spending more in heat this winter because it isnt insulated? absolutely. As far as spray insulation. VERY expensive. as well as being in insurance I get to see the bad of it. I will be VERY shocked if insurance for spray foamed places doesnt go up in the future. that stuff is bad during a fire. As far as an insulator, at this time it is CRAZY good.
my rear door (16' ) is usually a foot open while the torpedo is running. I did tune it a bit and got it better.

also I will probably be hitting this thread as far as insulation. my current thought is also in phases. phase 1 will be 1.5 inch foam on the walls and drywall on the ceiling.
phase 2 will be bat on the walls (4 inch) covered in drywall. will be flush with the 6x6's
Blown Insulation in the ceiling.

Odie
Sorry Odie, I did miss that budget part. Heating heating take a look at Keno-Sun heats. They were a big name many years ago and their products are still on line in ebay. It was a Japanese firm that makes Kerosene heaters and their boast at the time was very high efficiency burn rate so very little to no Kerosene smell, something like 99.7% if I recall. You can get a used 25,000 btu unit for $150 and I see they do have some still in box for $200 to $300. My parents had one in the 70's. May be a good choice.

Sorry Odie, I did miss that budget part. Heating heating take a look at Keno-Sun heats. They were a big name many years ago and their products are still on line in ebay. It was a Japanese firm that makes Kerosene heaters and their boast at the time was very high efficiency burn rate so very little to no Kerosene smell, something like 99.7% if I recall. You can get a used 25,000 btu unit for $150 and I see they do have some still in box for $200 to $300. My parents had one in the 70's. May be a good choice.
yeah, dang budgets

will do! my current one is 220,000 btu. but I will see if they have anything that size. I also use it outdoors for things so it isnt just for the garage.

odie

I've had lots of experience trying to find a decent place to work on my cars, and store the parts that I hoard. I remember all too well working in a gravel driveway in front of the old garage that was converted to an apartment for poor college kids to rent. (It had rather large gravel that was hard on your knees and back!) It had a small attic to hold my treasures. Not much fun, but I did get some work done.
From then on I was sure that I wouldn't be happy until I had a great garage/workshop. I'm sure that almost all of you can relate.
I also remember what it's like to finally find a rental that also had a garage. I was over the top with excitement. Next was a rental that had a bigger garage - with electricity. Then, a rental that had a detached two car garage - with electricity and a two barrel wood stove to heat it.
1639163712303.png

I was very excited! Of course the garage wasn't insulated, but I was certain that the wood stove would heat the entire garage quickly and make it a very comfortable place to tinker. And it did. I thought I was almost at the pinnacle of my needs until I saw that each time I fired up the wood stove, all the stuff I had stored in the garage got coated with a heavy layer of condensation! And of course some of it started to rust. No bueno. I quickly realized that I had to keep it heated all the time to prevent the condensation. Since that wouldn't work I found that I used the barrel stove less often. I wasn't able to insulate the rental garage, and keeping a fire burning in the barrel stove was out of the question anyway, so I realized that what I needed was pretty far from what I had.
Sorry for the long winded story, but I think you might keep the condensation problem in mind. If you have anything that would suffer (rust) from condensation, you might consider making sure that the air around it doesn't heat up when you turn the heater on. Maybe store it in an unheated area?
BTW - Congrats on you're new building. I'm sure you must be very happy and excited about it. BTDT!

two barrel wood stove
Thoase things put out some real heat! I When I got my house, I found one of those about 4 hours away on Craigslist really cheap. Being 110lbs myself, and only owning a 1994 Crown Vic at the time, I drove out, bought it, and I picked the whole thing up by myself and wedged it in the Vic's trunk for the ride home. I could not have been happier. I wondered why my old man bought these stupid heavy monstrosities when I was young and we had to have a group of ppl to move them!

ok so got the pellet stove installed. 30 degrees outside. took 2 hours to get to 40. so I turned on the kerosene heater to get it to 60. once it got to 60, the kerosene heater shut off for 30 min. then back on for 5. the off for 45. then on for 5 then off for 40 and i was done for the day out there testing (and discovering that my front bow on the spider will need replacing) . I think this is totally workable. especially as I will be insulating and putting a ceiling in.

Odie

Back