garage work gloves - thickness discussion

I got a good deal on some from Costco before the world went to hell in a handbasket, they work well.

I tend to prefer my general cloth mechanics gloves i buy at Menards as the prune hands I end up with from rubber gloves is less than desirable.
Must not yield to temptation to abuse mod super powers to make Karl forever known as "Prune Hands" instead of "kmead". 😈 :cool:

My experience with gloves is that the thickness doesn't always indicate quality. The best, longest lasting gloves I've used are the 5 mil nitrile ones from Uline. We have them at my work. Unfortunately since covid the same exact gloves still aren't available. I've tried other gloves in similar thicknesses but for some reason none of them last as long. Next time they're available I want to get a 500 count bag just for me.

offrampze5.GIF

It's what we do. :)

My experience with gloves is that the thickness doesn't always indicate quality. The best, longest lasting gloves I've used are the 5 mil nitrile ones from Uline. We have them at my work. Unfortunately since covid the same exact gloves still aren't available. I've tried other gloves in similar thicknesses but for some reason none of them last as long. Next time they're available I want to get a 500 count bag just for me.
Agree completely; the quality of the material is independent from its thickness. Usually the price goes up significantly for better quality, but not necessarily as much for greater thickness. For example the HF ones; they are all poor quality, but the thicker ones tend to hold up better and were cheaper to get than good quality ones of any thickness from elsewhere. Although the COVID thing seems to have changed the price so much I'm not sure if that's still true? Hopefully my current supply should last until everyone forgets about wearing gloves for everyday activities and hopefully the prices will drop again - not sure. But I'll have to look around when the time comes and see how things compare. I have to say, until this discussion I hadn't realized how much the price of gloves has jumped in the last year. :confused:

WalMart... you won't be disappointed.
Best I have found and when Covid started last year the supply was plentiful because nobody thought to look in the automotive section.:D

View attachment 47090
Thanks Greg, I'll have to check that out. By comparison that's around the price I seem to recall paying for a box of 100 at HF...pre pandemic days.

It kind of makes sense that a "mechanic" style glove wouldn't be thought of as a "disease prevention" glove by most people. Funny how that had such a strong effect on the price, with these not going up the way the others have.

Agree completely; the quality of the material is independent from its thickness. Usually the price goes up significantly for better quality, but not necessarily as much for greater thickness. For example the HF ones; they are all poor quality, but the thicker ones tend to hold up better and were cheaper to get than good quality ones of any thickness from elsewhere. Although the COVID thing seems to have changed the price so much I'm not sure if that's still true? Hopefully my current supply should last until everyone forgets about wearing gloves for everyday activities and hopefully the prices will drop again - not sure. But I'll have to look around when the time comes and see how things compare. I have to say, until this discussion I hadn't realized how much the price of gloves has jumped in the last year. :confused:
Harbor Freight has an open apology on their site with relation to glove prices

The Walmart gloves are $14/100. Harbor Freight 5mil are $18/100.

I will probably get a box of the Walmart gloves this week and try them out. I like the harbor freight gloves OK. but I do go through a lot of them.

The Walmart gloves are $14/100. Harbor Freight 5mil are $18/100.

I will probably get a box of the Walmart gloves this week and try them out. I like the harbor freight gloves OK. but I do go through a lot of them.
That's what I was thinking, for the same reason. Please let us know your take on the WalMart ones. I recognize the brand name from some trade shows. They seem to be represented at them often, so I'm sure I've received samples and tried them...but as I noted earlier, I never know who the products came from by the time I use them. However I believe they are not just nitrile gloves like the HF ones. I think they are a heavier glove with a coating on the face? Maybe Greg can confirm that.

Hopefully prices at HF will eventually go back down, considering the public statement that @tvmaster noted (I haven't read it).

Textured no coating.
Big company that does many glove products.
Ive never seen the 100 packs in the stores just 50.
Still that’s .28/pair and you use less than the HF ones.

Back