gas cap lock

Wayne

True Classic
Just bought one on Ebay from the "spidercenter" which didn't fit so back it goes. Can anyone recommend a stant or generic that actually fits? Thx

I have a locking cap off an X I parted. It is very non original looking. Complete with key. The key says bologna on it. Cap screws on just like OE.
The chrome is pitting.
$15 plus shipping.
DSCN1831.JPG

I have a locking cap off an X I parted. It is very non original looking. Complete with key. The key says bologna on it. Cap screws on just like OE.
The chrome is pitting.
$15 plus shipping.
I have what looks to be the same one. Works with no modifications to the car. I painted mine satin black so it looks a bit less out of place.

I have a locking cap off an X I parted
Isn't there two sizes of tank filler neck or is it down to the restrictor that's fitted? The one in the picture looks like our carb'ed cars 1500 rubber type even though it's on a 1300 by the looks of it - whereas your FI models need a cap with smaller/shallower internals which don't site well with having a key mechanism :confused: What size did OP need - maybe the one purchased was for 'standard' size fillers if ever there was one...

I'm pretty sure the was more than one type and they are not all compatible. I don't know when the changes took place. When unleaded fuel came out, I think they made the gas nozzles for unleaded smaller as well as the filler opening so you could not accidently fit a leaded nozzle into an unleaded car. I don't know if that affected the cap design or not. That being said, a 74 can fit any size nozzle you are likely to come across since it was designed to use leaded fuel (no cat).

I bought one of these:

The outside is chrome plated plastic, but otherwise resembles a stock 1500 cap.
I have the black one. Lock knob doesn't fit into the opening. Not sure if it even works since I don't see any notches to secure the cap. I was thinking of grinding it down if I can't return it.

I don't see any notches to secure the cap
That's not how they work - the cap doesn't lock into the fuel filler, rather the outer part of the cap locks against the threaded part (to undo and to lock) or spins against the threaded part when locked. Perhaps post a picture of your filler neck - sounds like yours is a FI car so will have a restrictor in place that isn't on the euro carb'ed cars like NEGs in post above.

There's some dimensions on this part, but pretty sure it's not suitable for your car:

Reactions: NEG
One of those OEM caps came with my car, the lock had seized and I had to butcher it to remove the cap....replaced it with one of these (UK, sorry). https://www.petrolcaps.co.uk/344/fiat-x19-1973-to-1982-fuel-cap
OMG - that’s the one the previous owners put on my car. But they screwed it down off-thread, then had to use a hammer to un-wedge it from the threads, which snapped the chrome piece off the metal studs holding it to the base, then all the locking pins fell out. lol. I’ve never seen such a clusterf@#$ over something as simple as a gas cap before. It looks good though...

Just bought one on Ebay from the "spidercenter" which didn't fit so back it goes. Can anyone recommend a stant or generic that actually fits? Thx
How were / are Spidercenter to deal with? I just bought some things from them, and I'm a little suspicious about the delivery time they 'advertise' versus reality. And if that's suspicious, now I'm starting to wonder about the quality of what was purchased, and having to pay for shipping all the way to Cairo!?

So if you look carefully he has stuff shipping from Egypt, NY or Utah.

Odd.

So if you look carefully he has stuff shipping from Egypt, NY or Utah.

Odd.
Very odd. I noticed that too. Mine seems to be coming from Cairo, leaving yesterday, expected Dec 9th. Cha. Like that’s going to happen. Maybe I can return it to Utah if it’s rubbish.

It looks like a reasonable piece. The chrome one looked cheap, I don’t mind chrome over metal but it looked like chrome over plastic which never lasts.

When you do get it, get in the habit of turning it in reverse until the threads drop in to start it forward and avoid cross threading.

I bought two new sets of key blanks for my '86 from Spidercenter. They arrived on my porch 48 hours after I paid for them and were postmarked Cairo. Kind of amazing and the keys were beautiful! I was so impressed with the keys i considered buying one of those locking gas caps too. Now, after reading this thread I think I'll pass on that one.

Attachments

• P_20190918_180950.jpg
    P_20190918_180950.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 56
Back