Nice work Henk. It looks very easy to install. Given the attachment points used, I would think this would work for early or late style engine covers.

Hi Henk, a question about this please.
It seems the gas strut would lift and support the lid on its own. But in the photo it looks like the stock spring and support mechanism are still in place. Is that needed to be retained along with this gas strut?
Circled both the stock support and the gas strut to illustrate my question:
2dfb8d81dae1e37c415db69c50a22d95.jpg
Thanks, Jeff

Hello,

The stock spring and support mechanism can / must be removed as the engine lid will be lifted and supported only by the gas strut
The owner of the X 1/9 on the picture did not do so (picture from the European X 1/9 Meeting Nürburgring Germany)

saluti,

Henk Martens

Hi Henk, a question about this please.
It seems the gas strut would lift and support the lid on its own. But in the photo it looks like the stock spring and support mechanism are still in place. Is that needed to be retained along with this gas strut?
Circled both the stock support and the gas strut to illustrate my question:
View attachment 5680
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,
I have US 1500 FI and I have keep it the stock spring.
With FI car you must take care to the return fuel line after the pressure regulator, when you close the lid the rod strut presses the return fuel line.
What I have done is replace the return fuel line with a longer one and route lower of the lid rod strut with a loop, also put velcro strap to protect where the rod made contact with the fuel line.

It is two years I have the Henk kit and no problem, I'm satisfy.

Yves

zZSR7xA.jpg

nLHUlin.jpg

UeJ0CZd.jpg

The stock spring and support mechanism can / must be removed
Thank you Henk, the photo threw me off a little, appreciate the clarification. Very nice kit. This concept is also popular with other makes of classic cars, especially ones that use a 'prop-rod' to hold up the engine lid (like our front trunk)...eliminates the rod completely. Somewhere I saw a similar conversion for the X's front hood. I think it had two gas struts, one on each side of the hood. Do you offer that kit as well? If not, maybe you'll consider it? Thanks.

It is two years I have the Henk kit and no problem, I'm satisfy.
Thank you Yves. Wish I had FI but only Weber. Is it possible to gently bend the metal pipe portion of that fuel return line to make the needed clearance? I'm always amazed at how clean your engine bay is. Make me feel better and Photoshop a lot of grime all over it so I can continue to ignore mine. :)

Ciao amici,

We will be working also on a gas strut system for the frunt hood but this should be without drillling any hole, using existing connection points
We made some prototypes but these need drilling 1 or 2 holes for the brackets, we don't prefer this solution so take some more time to think

saluti,

Henk Martens

Yes, very nice idea. But what I would really like to see is a gas strut for the stinkin' rear trunk lid. The lid is heavy and it can spontaneously close nearly takes off your fingers! The front lid and engine lid, not so much.

True, the rear trunk is another excellent candidate for this. Never understood why that lid is so heavy for being so small.

I wonder if it is possible, with this use of gas struts as the 'spring'/lift, to trigger the latch mechanism with a remotely actuated solenoid so that it acts like a "hands-free" unit. Push a button on the remote control and the lid(s) (front, rear, or engine...depending on which button is pushed) pops up and rises on its own, no lifting required. Then push the lid back down as usual to close and latch. Normally with the stock spring the lid still needs to be manually lifted after the latch is released, but these gas springs might be able to completely lift it without assistance.

Thank you Henk, the photo threw me off a little, appreciate the clarification. Very nice kit. This concept is also popular with other makes of classic cars, especially ones that use a 'prop-rod' to hold up the engine lid (like our front trunk)...eliminates the rod completely. Somewhere I saw a similar conversion for the X's front hood. I think it had two gas struts, one on each side of the hood. Do you offer that kit as well? If not, maybe you'll consider it? Thanks.

Thank you Yves. Wish I had FI but only Weber. Is it possible to gently bend the metal pipe portion of that fuel return line to make the needed clearance? I'm always amazed at how clean your engine bay is. Make me feel better and Photoshop a lot of grime all over it so I can continue to ignore mine. :)

Jeff, probably yes for bending the metal pipe, I just take the easy way with a longer fuel hose and don't try to bend the metal return fuel pipe.
I have not really merit for the engine bay because I only use the car in weekend and only when is not raining and all the other time kermit is in the garage!

Last edited:
Ciao amici,

NEW in our programme !
* gas strut engine lid
* fits all X 1/9 1300 and 1500
* bolt on system without drilling as you can use existing fixation points/bolts
* adapters/brackets in stainless steel
* Euro 79 + postage

Saluti,

Henk Martens
X 1/9 Parts Holland
Hello! is this piece still available? Thanks, Tom