Gear cluster.......E X P O S E D.....comments welcome......

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Gear cluster.......E X P O S E D.....comments welcome......<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 2 2000 at 6:38 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]lezesig [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->First and foremost..thanks to Mac for this great site, Ulix for the photo-pointing process ( that took a while to figure out ), Dr. Holescher for being the subject matter expert, and many others who have provided some great ideas. A little background here in a nutshell...picked up the '79 and it was doing a clunkity-clunk-clunk in reverse (only). Split the cases of the tranny to expose the cluster and this is what was I found. Notice the three contact points of reverse engagement? The gears do exhibit full engagement wear but I suspect that wear was caused during a short period after a prior rebuild. Most of the wear appears to be a partial engagement with only about a quarter of the teeth engaging. I'm betting that the sandwich joint on the primary shift shaft got out of alignment and when the prior owner tried shifting into reverse only got about a quarter engagement and called it good enough to back the car up. Through time this partiial engagement ( as transmitted through the rail not lifting to its maximum height ) finally trashed the gear edges on all three gears. Can't think of another reason that would prohibit full engagement. Can you ? To point out once again....the (3) gears do show evidence of full engagement at one time. Thank-you much. This is a longwinded post isn't it ? lololololo
Havin fun,
lezesig('79 w/ tranny exposed)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1308543&a=9715543&p=32208957<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("steve ambrose"); // --> </SCRIPT>steve ambrose <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Nice photo!!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 2 2000, 9:18 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi there.. great shot of the gear set! Much better than the factory manual!
It's been my experience that severe wear on the edges of the gears will cause it to either not engage reverse, or to want to pop out of reverse.
Damage to the face of a tooth or even missing a single tooth will make a knocking sound when backing. The tooth on the reverse idler to the left of the arrow looks like it has substantial damage to the face. I hope the teeth on the input shaft are intact!! Good job so far,
Steve<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "z";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("lezesig"); // --> </SCRIPT>lezesig <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->thanks<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 3 2000, 6:49 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thanks for the response Steve. That little digital camera did take a great shot didn't it. Have pics of all the steps so far. Hey Steve...got to thinking...the damage I'm witnessing here also could have been caused by the input shaft not slowing down enough prior to jamming reverse into engagement. That would explain the ratted edge on the gears. I'll bet she had a clutch going out and went to grab for reverse too many times with a clutch that was all but gone. GGGGRRRRIIINNNDDDD CCLLLUUNNNKK. What do you think about that scenario ? Incidently the dogs look good and the ball is hitting dead center of the detent on the rail. ( I measured it ). And REGRETTABLY yes. I want to replace the primary shaft. Some of the gearfaces are probably within tolerance but look ugly.
Out for now,
lezesig('79 with cluster exposed)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Steve Hoelscher"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Hoelscher <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Reverse Theories<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 4 2000, 8:52 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
The different wear patterns on the three reverse gears have a logical explanation. I would assume that originally, reverse was damaged due to missuse/abuse. That could wear the teeth on the reverse idler down from the upper edge. The result would be reduced width with a ragged edge. That would cause a wear pattern appearing as partial engagement. Also, the ragged edge would cause more rapid wear and additional damage to the teeth on the input shaft and 1-2 slider reverse. The reverse idler and perhaps the 1-2 slider could have been replaced in a subsequent rebuild leaving a slightly damaged input shaft. The current reverse idler does not show the excessive wear pattern on the edge of the teeth typical of a severe reverse problem. However, existing damage on the input shaft (from the previous problem) has cause the damage you now see on the reverse idler.

Remember, reverse is un-synchronized and therefore subject to damage from un-sympathetic engagement. The reverse idler pictured does not show signs of excessive wear from abuse. It looks more like typical engagement wear (on the edges) and collateral damage on the teeth face transfered from the input shaft.

Steve
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]lezesig[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->thanks<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 4 2000, 10:13 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thanks Steve,
Your assessment is supported by the service paperwork. They did indeed just replace the idler(only) on a previous rebuild. Input shaft- Accept or reject ? I suspect reject.
It's funny how terminology requires translation sometimes. I've heard these two shafts referred to as 1-countershaft, 2- driveshaft, 3- drivenshaft, 4-layshaft, 5- mainshaft. Very funny !!! As you are probably well aware of...in general mechanical terms when two shafts are interfacing with one another one is supplying the "drive", and the other one is being "driven". So many different camps pointing to these same two shafts and each camp chooses to use their preferred term. ......and yes I did read your previous post to Mac describing the terminolgy on shaft nomenclature.
Thank-you much for taking the time to reply to this message. This will be an ongoing task. Currently taking pics of all the steps and substeps....and more importantly I need another cup of coffee to wake up.
lezesig('79 cluster exposed)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]lezesig[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->STATUS<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 4 2000, 3:24 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->1st-2nd Gear Slider Hub. http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=12159&messageid=949382850 The Last paragraph. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1308543&a=9715543&p=32348405 <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back