Gearbox locked

A lot of good suggestions coming up. I had a look how this done on other cars and that's not very complex: A little bit simplified but more ore less "position the cone flat on bearing rollers and apply preload by pushing it 0.1mm further in with shims".
On our car, the 350kg will just push the cone flush to bearing rollers, and then the shim will do the preload, so no big difference?

I just watched ep. 37 on Project Binky and they used a scale for measuring clutch pedal pressure. This is the kind of scale I am looking for (if it can handle 350kg). Then I would be able to use any pressIng machine to seat the bearing.
Screenshot_20211219-102347.png

This guy is setting/checking bearing preload in an empty box prior to reassembling the gearbox. Seems like a good method as it allows you to back off the cone and start over again you got it too tight. This method also makes it easier to feel friction while turning the diff.

Bjorn, for that scale take a look at the ones used to weigh live stock. I know that sounds odd, but they typically have four sensors that connect to a box to read the weight of any one or all four sensors. For animals they place a flat panel over the four sensors, but you could just use one of them independently. It is the same concept as the scales used to "corner weight" a car, but MUCH less expensive (I would get one to use as a car scale if I didn't already have access to my brother's car scales).

Here's a couple examples, they come in various weight values and I've seen them for very little money:

Today was the day. I finally got the diff bearing in place the way recommended in the service manual. I've been looking for a press tool that manage a small weight like 350kg for a very long time. So a big thanks to my X1/9 friend @TomasL for letting me borrow his press and load sensor. Now the bearing is pressed in with 350kg and I can mount shims to obtain correct preload by the book.
The box (with UT Mk1 internals) will go in next week. I will repeat the process next year with the much stronger C510 box.
IMG_20220708_150549.jpg
IMG_20220708_150634.jpg
IMG_20220708_150818.jpg

Today was the day. I finally got the diff bearing in place the way recommended in the service manual. I've been looking for a press tool that manage a small weight like 350kg for a very long time. So a big thanks to my X1/9 friend @TomasL for letting me borrow his press and load sensor. Now the bearing is pressed in with 350kg and I can mount shims to obtain correct preload by the book.
The box (with UT Mk1 internals) will go in next week. I will repeat the process next year with the much stronger C510 box.
View attachment 63560View attachment 63561View attachment 63562
Tomas has great toys!

Out of curiosity can you tell any visual/physical difference in the results between pressing it on to that load spec vs just pressing it on without the use of the meter?

Tomas has great toys!

Out of curiosity can you tell any visual/physical difference in the results between pressing it on to that load spec vs just pressing it on without the use of the meter?
Well, I can tell that all you need is to touch the lever on a 20 ton press to reach 350kg.

Got the new gearbox in. I heard that some people swap a box in two hours but I need two days even with "guide pins"🥵. But on the other hand my UT needs a lot of bits and bobs removed to have the gearbox in/out.
The new restored box works like a dream, shifting is exact and distinct with no noice👌. The Uno Turbo gearing ratio reduced rpm at cruising speed drastically: 60mph@3000rpm, 82mph@4000rpm, 101mph@5000rpm. I am running on 185/60 13 wheels but I measured with GPS so the numbers are correct. I didn't go faster than 101mph today, but the car has a LOT more to give so It would definitely rev to redline on fift gear. So top speed is now 142mph😃.
The downside is that more shifting is now needed when taking over cars on smaller roads, so I am looking forward to see how it performs on the racetrack. I found the X1/9 gearing ratios just perfect for racing at twisty tracks, so maybe I'll need to change my driving style a bit.
A big thanks to Steve Hoelcher for the excellent write ups and guidelines. I never restored a gearbox before so his documentation was a great help to complete this project.
During the winter I will tear down the C510 box as well and prepare the car for cable shifting. But until then I will enjoy a non leaking perfectly working gearbox.

Back