Give Me A Brake :)

Triestino

Daily Driver
Wow! When it rains it pours. I was just checking my front brakes today (taking an intermission from all the other work I've been doing on the 128), to my big surprise, I noticed that the driver's side rotor had some unusual wear pattern. Looking into this further, I realized that the two caliper mounting bolts were loose. When I attempted to tighten the two 17mm bolts with a socket wrench, I discovered that treads on the caliper are stripped! :mad:. Never played with the brakes before as the previous owner of my 128 informed me that he had just replaced the pads/shoes just prior to my purchase. Arghhh!!! Since it was getting late, I called it a day and will take another look tomorrow to see what options are available. Not sure if this has happened to others and if the caliper can be saved (i.e. cut some new treads). Any thoughts/suggestions/similar experiences/jokes accepted at this point :rolleyes:

Just replace the caliper mounting bracket, not the caliper. The bracket is what those 2 bolts thread into.

Yea, what Jeff said, the threads are in the bracket, not the caliper. Never heard of these threads being stripped, you sure it's not the bolts that are messed up?

Going to take a look this evening as to whether the mounting bracket treads are stripped or the bolts themselves are stripped.
Rod, here is a picture of the two mounting bolts I'm referencing.

IMG_2783.jpg

To follow-up, I took the brake caliper assembly apart and found that the mounting bolt treads were indeed stripped.
Chased the treads on the mounting bracket and installed some new M10x1.25 bolts I had and all is fixed...nice and tight now.

Last edited:
Back