Glass buttress removal: please help prevent my failure

Chad C.

True Classic
image.jpg

I'm prepping for paint, and they gotta come off. I looked at it for a minute & decided I'd prefer to begin by knowing what I was doing. How the hell do these come off?

While I'm at it, any tips on removing the rear stainless trim is of interest...

Bodywork & paint prep sucks! That said, I'm not half bad at it. I went at it for the time it took to finish a large cigar this afternoon, and it's coming along pretty well. After being clean & sober for 17 years now, things like quality cigars & the commercial lever espresso machine installed in my garage are easy to justify ; )

I see these are also known as "Sail panels". There's a thread below that seems to cover it. I don't see an option to delete this thread but tips are nonetheless encouraged. I thought I'd seen the thread before, but I didn't have the right search word...

the stainless trim that runs along the base of the sail panels, at least on the solid buttress cars is bolted from the inside. 8mm nuts and washers on studs that can slide on the track created by the trim shape itself. there is a small screw at the front. i just took them off my 76. you kinda have to be a contortionist to get to them they arent very accessible. I will look at the exact locations and report back if you want.

I got it done, at least on the right side of the car. The glass panel (1977) cars are different than the solid panel cars. Two studs holding the panel onto the horizontal surface, and a screw holding it on under the plastic trim piece on top. You need to get the vertical plastic trim panel beneath that plastic trim piece off first, and it's held on by a bolt that is accessed from inside the bay. It's tough to see but it's there.

The car looks even more ugly when these panels are removed, all part of prep for paint...

Back