Going ahead with a b16a motor swap, anyone have info on this swap?

abec

Wil
I am going to buy a front clip with a B16A. I am looking for any information on this swap. I am having it done by a shop, but any information I can give to them to get it done faster the better!

Wow exactly what I was looking for but better. TY!

spiderrey I will have to stop by and check out your progress when I get into Anaheim.

Not a problem

Good luck Wil. Keep us posted and have your shop take good notes for you (and us) on the process. :)

make sure you get the right transmission

there are 2 different types of b-series transmissions

theres a "cable" transmission which uses a clutch cable instead of hydraulics

then theres a hydraulic transmission which uses hydraulics that we all know and love...

within these there are 3 different gearset combinations, which can be very difficult to figureout or pick, both styles you can get LSD's but only the cable transmission has a mechancial speedometer port, which may or may not bolt to the hydraulic transmission

then you have to decide how new you wanna go, theres OBD-0, 1, and 2 with teh b16a, obd1 is the easiest to modify the computer, obd2, has a bunch of wires for emissions and whatnot.. if you dont care about polluting the world, get obd1, and dont deal with the catalyst, but the engine is pretty much the same regardless of which year you get, aside from the distributor plug harness, everything will mix and match, and are pretty much identical with the exception of the OBD-0 exhaust manifold as it has 2 oxygen sensors, whereas the obd1, and 2 have a single oxygen sensor on the manifold, wiring for the any of the engines should be pretty simple, however the newer engines have more gadgetry and less vacuum ports

hope that helped

yea it did!

I think I found where im buying the engine.

A local company about 26 miles from my home sells JDM front clips, everything is there that is needed for the swap that does not need to be fabricated.
http://www.jrautoparts.com/clip_hondal_b16a_gen2_lsd_obd1.htm
Thats the one I was thinking of going with,

B16A GEN 2 with LSD
Gen2, with LSD, OBD1, DOHC VTEC, Hydraulic transmission, Low mileage

Wish I lived in Ca

That is the same engine trans type I am looking at. but I because of shipping, I cant get the front clip. remember as you do this, to photo the heck out of it.. the more pics we get the better for the next person.

Starting the build this week.

Mon:
Inquiring 3 local sellers about buying a front clip. (Hopefully buy one the spot) Then driving the fiat in to the shop, letting them take a look at the fiat and showing them Walter Biswanger's build page, and getting an estimate.

Tue:
Getting my hands dirty and pulling the motor! If I have my hands on the b16 at the time we will also prep that motor.

I will try and post info & photo's of all this for you guys keep track of the progress, and hopefully its fast progress! I am already itching to drive it.

Oh and Steel brake lines, and a Scirocco rad were installed prior to the build! (photo's to come)

i actually traded a a car for my set up.
003.jpg

traded for two complete swaps for an orange and a yellow 74. got a b16 a and a b16 b se up. actully got to drive the a set up before the guy removed it.
my kid might actully get his done first. he knows a guy that wants an integra shell he has with a race cage. the guy does the swaps at a shop somewhere, he already looked at the car and said no problem.

Priced out about 1 grand over budget, so right now I am looking for a less expensive way of getting a hold of a b16 then buying a full front clip. OR finding someone who can do the install for trade, lets say beer? a full 1500 fi engine and trans? what say you?

Back