Good to see 128 sold for...

olerascal

True Classic
Good to see 128 sold for $5100 on evilbay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIAT...9748525?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c334cb1ad

Nice pics of nice car available at above link,
and nice description, pasted here for the record...
(last sentence is funny!)

The Fiat 128 is a small family car marketed by the Italian automobile manufacturer Fiat for model years 1969–1985 in two- and four-door sedan, three- and five-door wagon as well as two-door coupe (128SL) variants. Rather than a sport or convertible model carrying the 128 nameplate, the 128 running gear and engine were reconfigured for a mid-engined layout and marketed as the Fiat X1/9. With engineering by Dante Giacosa and engine design by Aurelio Lampredi,[3] the 128 was noted for its relatively roomy passenger and cargo volume — enabled by a breakthrough innovation to the front-engine, front-drive layout which became the layout "adopted by virtually every other manufacturer in the world" for front-wheel drive.[4] Fiat promoted in its advertising that mechanical features consumed only 20% of the vehicle's volume, [3] and the model was voted European Car of the Year for 1970.[5]
1970 FIAT 128. Very early first generation model. Car of the year in 1970. It is a one owner car. Original 56.000 miles ( 89.600 km because odometer in km). The car was accident free and mostly rust free when I purchased from the original owner in Europe. Then it completely stripped and all the rust (small) damage was repaired and painted to the original color.
Timing belt and maintenance items replaced. Front shocks replaced. Interior is original in nice condition. All the repairs were performed in Europe using original parts. Later I decided to make a copy of the very rare 128 rally version. The original rally car is a 2 door model with 1.3 l engine. We installed the following item to get a rally look: body striping, fog lights, original Fiat rally bumper bar, Dino sport steering wheel, 5,5-14 Comodora ( original italian Comodora Fiat wheel from the 70's, cost alone $ 800) wheels, and new 185/55-14 tires. Less than 100 miles on the tire. The car comes with the original steering wheel and 13" steel wheels and tires.
I'm collecting, buying, importing and selling classic italian cars, and this is one of the most original cars that I have ever seen. In the 70's it was a nice and affordable family car. Very few have survived, because nobody thought about saving them for the future. You can find Ferraris, Lamborghinis with low mileage and in nice conditions for 10-20 times the price, but if you want to own a piece of automobile history for a reasonable price this is your car.
Still fun to drive this small and lightweight car. 55hp is not to much for today standard but because it is weight only 1700 lb, it is a nimble car.
I believe this is the only one in the USA. Maybe some American models still exist with ugly bumpers or later 2nd or 3rd generation models, but I believe this is the only one this side of the Atlantic Ocean. If you're lucky, maybe you can find one in South Italy, but to organize the shipping, the custom clearance and title work is a costly and time consuming procedure.
No A/C, no power steering, no airbags, no navigation, no electronic control moduls, no check engine light, no headache. Manual fuel pump, classic distributor, simple carburator.
If the end of the world comes with magnetic polar shifts and electromagnetic pulses running wild lobotomising all modern vehicles, this car will still start without a problem.

I was also watching it....and to be honest thought the reserve was going to be a tad higher.I believe it was worth more money,but not bad either I guess!!

Back