got my dual dcnfs...questions, linkage, spacers, jets, etc

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
so I bought a pair of 36 DCNF's off Ebay, and I didn't notice they were set up for a cable...here's what I got https://www.ebay.com/itm/273198926479
So any suggestions or pics of a cable system...was thinking I'll just get a longer cable sheath, and a longer cable, and rig something up...Isn't there a valve cover available without the carb control bar? like off a yugo or something that I have seen?

or does someone know or have the "ball" type linkage, where I can adapt my carb control bar?

another question...what about the bake light spacer? I live in Texas, gets hot, hot, hot,

and of course jetting recommendations for baseline starting...mildly modified engine..big intake valves, higher compression head, eurospec cam...

so what have others done?

Here are some photos of the linkage in my setup:
1974 Fiat X19 Dual 40 DCNF.jpg

1974 Fiat X19 Dual 40 DCNF Linkage Closeup -Top View.jpg

1974 Fiat X19 Dual 40 DCNF Linkage Closeup - Carb.jpg

1974 Fiat X19 Dual 40 DCNF Linkage Closeup - Cambox.jpg

spacers definitely make a big difference for my setup

Attachments

• DSCN1307.JPG
    DSCN1307.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 20180220_162127.jpg
    20180220_162127.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 303
  • 20180220_162149.jpg
    20180220_162149.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 315
Does the fuel injected model use a cable from the cam box linkage bar to the throttle body, if so, you could try that or just get a ball stud and connect it to the cable reel. You should be able to get ball studs with threaded attachment shanks.

Kevin,

you could probably modify what you bought by installing a ball for the linkage in the right spot.
But I noticed that the way the linkeage is set up makes a big difference in how the carbs respond and how the whole car feels.
I you used a really long throttle cable and attached it to your carbs in the intended way, you may end up with the smoothest operation out of all possibilities.
I would definitely go that way.

Renewing the throttle cable might also result in an easier smoother operation, which does make a huge difference.
My buddy has duals on his X with a much heavier throttle pedal than mine and feels much less agile.

The 36 DCNFs that came on my '79 were originally cable actuated, it turns out. This was done by the PO. The linkage (and the fuel rail also) both have a bit of a Frankenstein aesthetic, but the pedal feel, function, response, etc. are very comfortable and feel right. It appears he added a tab with a ball. Below is the only photo I have of it, but I can take more this evening.

36893859290_1acfef0e3b_z.jpg

And Steve Cecile just informed me, my interlink won't be close enough...this is where I say all kinds of curse words....I knew this wasn't going to be simple, I passed on a pair of 36's here with manifold because of the interlink being kinda iffy....I can see why now...I can't find s*** on the internut....if you can't find something on the internut, it must be rare...seen some universal interlink kits for DCOES
Waiting to get the intake, and see what kinda "custom fabrication" I'm gonna have to do
not happy....doesn't really matter right now, so fricken hot outside, don't even feel like driving, let alone work on the car, lol
thanks for the pics and suggestions guys

Never really been happy with any of the interlinks I have seen for dual DCNFs for Xs and 128s. They have all seemed sketchy and rather home built. I guess because they are not very close together like IDFs or DCOEs.

Never really been happy with any of the interlinks I have seen for dual DCNFs for Xs and 128s. They have all seemed sketchy and rather home built. I guess because they are not very close together like IDFs or DCOEs.
I have not had any issues with the stock Weber parts linking the carbs. Once set, the balance setting is very stable and I have not had any issues with binding or loosness.

And Steve Cecile just informed me, my interlink won't be close enough...this is where I say all kinds of curse words....I knew this wasn't going to be simple, I passed on a pair of 36's here with manifold because of the interlink being kinda iffy....I can see why now...I can't find s*** on the internut....if you can't find something on the internut, it must be rare...seen some universal interlink kits for DCOES
Waiting to get the intake, and see what kinda "custom fabrication" I'm gonna have to do
not happy....doesn't really matter right now, so fricken hot outside, don't even feel like driving, let alone work on the car, lol
thanks for the pics and suggestions guys

I am going thru the same thought process with a set of 40 DCNF and the Stolls intake......interlinks are unobtanium (it seems).....

I did buy a set of the DCOE interlinks......if you have access to a metal brake, you might be able to get them to work....

Cold starts on DCNFs and IDFs are a waste of time and on older carbs a source of fuel/air leaking in at idle (the blank off plates do not solve this problem). I highly recommend removing them and then inserting grub screws on the bottom to block off the cold start passage to the base of the carbs.

That is my plan. I recently did this on some IDFs (probably ones you know) and later kicked myself for not having done it on IDFs I'd owned in the past & periodically dealt with enrichment circuit (probably) issues with. Ah, the folly of youth.

Downside here is further inspection of this DCNF36 setup I have is leading me to replace the throttle shaft bearings with sealed units, so I have mixed feelings (and probably would like to hear tips from others for whom this is child's play) about the greater degree of familiarity I'm about to have with Weber carbs.

well mine came off something else...they were advertised for ford fiesta fiat 127 mk1, 2...whatever those are

Cold starts on DCNFs and IDFs are a waste of time and on older carbs a source of fuel/air leaking in at idle (the blank off plates do not solve this problem). I highly recommend removing them and then inserting grub screws on the bottom to block off the cold start passage to the base of the carbs.
So is that the square devices on the backside with cable hookups? Called enrichment thingamabob? I'm guessing those hook up like a choke knob or something, and prime the carb, instead of having a choke?

Back