Greased steering rack, bad idea?

I guess I'm a bit late to the party on this thread. Back when I was a Pantera guy we had the same discussion. Turns out TRW who bought out the original manufacturer of the Pantera rack changed the recommendation from 90w gear oil to 0w grease because it doesn't leak out or pool in the boots where it has little effect. Ow grease is hard to get in less than 10 gallon drums but assembly lube is about 0-0.5w and that's what most forum people have converted to by now. I converted mine when I replaced my steering rack bushing (yes Panteras have that problem too!) and never had any issues with overdamping.

assembly lube is about 0-0.5w and that's what most forum people have converted to
Excellent information, thanks.
That would be the equivalent to the light weight grease I referred to earlier. Lubriplate or white lithium grease is also pretty close and I think would work well. It does not get hard in cold weather like some greases do. Silicone grease (i.e. dielectric grease, O-ring lube, brake caliper lube, electrical assembly lube, and many other names - all the same product) is another great option.

Yes, great info. As soon as I got the rack back in the car I picked up a cold and the poor dear has sat around undriven since then. If I find a pool of gear lube under the car when I finally get to drive it, I'll know to go with light grease. Funny, I would not have thought of assembly lube as " light" grease, that stuff is super sticky and makes a delightful mess every time I put a Fiat motor together.

I would not have thought of assembly lube as " light" grease
I think it sort of depends on what assembly lube you are looking at. I've seen several different types. I have some that is more like white grease than the thick sticky oil of other brands.

Back