Greeting to all from new X owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Greeting to all from new X owner!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001 at 3:24 AM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Anonymous"); // --> </SCRIPT>Anonymous <NOSCRIPT> Anonymous </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->To Tony, James, and all the others here who seem so helpful...

I am the proud new owner of a 1979 X1/9 which I bought outside of Chicago recently.

A few of you already helped me out with some advice the other day (about the stalling/idle/carb problem).
That problem isn't completely worked out, but I'm making progress after cleaning the carb a few times.

I have to admit I'm something of a novice mechanic (I hope to learn on my X), and I'm thrilled to find some support here.

I've already found Vick's, ordered my shop manual, put new tires on, and am awaiting delivery on a new starter.

I'm an actor from New York who is here in picturesque Spring Green WI for the summer on a gig doing Shakespeare, and I had my heart set on finding an impractical little toy that I could zip around in with the top down in the summer wind. Living in NYC, I haven't had wheels for a few years now.

Well, I saw this X 2 months ago, drove 3 hours down to Chicago to look at her, and she's had my heart ever since.

This young kid I bought it from is a mechanic with several cars and no room for them. He'd already done a fair amount of work on it, (changed all the fluids, replaced a lot of ancillaries) but kept it in his garage for the last 2 years. So it's been sitting. After inspecting it as carefully as my limited knowledge (mostly from books) would allow, I took a chance and gave him $700 for it (he was asking $1000).

I was completely aware that I might be getting into trouble, but was willing to do so.

Well, getting it here has been a bit of an ordeal -- and it's not exactly my dream car yet, but it is my summer project. I'm determined to get it running well before the end of this beautiful summer up here.

It's funny, I'm in a small town, and everyone knows everyone, and I get teased all the time about my X. Farmer's come up to me on the street while I'm working on it and say, "What the hell is that thing?!" or "I'll tell ya' what the problem is... the engine's supposed to be up here!"

To make matter worse, my starter burnt out shortly after I bought it, so now, while I'm waiting on a refurbished one from Vick's, I go running down the street push starting it every time I want to get it running to work on it. The locals think I'm a maniac from the big city. But God bless 'em, they almost always come running out to help push. It's become the talk of the town.

She's a fixer upper for sure, but I think it's hopeful. I'm taking her to a mechanic in Madison, in a couple of weeks after I get the starter in, who owns a completely restored 79X. He's agreed to let me watch the complete inspection and teach me about the quirks of the car.

It's a Utah car(so no rust yet), with apparently only 30k miles on it (unless I've been lied to). The interior's pretty warn out -- there's lot's of little age signs, like warped rubber and vinyl, a broken heater knob, and a cracked dash, but that's character for sure! And the body and engine seem to be in decent shape. But we'll see... after he runs all the tests.

She certainly does pur though and picks up quite well for an old girl, when she's not stalling, that is.
wink.gif

She was recently painted red from the original burnt orange.

Here's a picture. Enjoy.

996488263.JPG

Sorry about the long note, but I wanted to share the experience. Good luck you all with you X's! Here's hoping I'll eventually know enough someday to give you all advice when you need it!

Anthony Giangrande

PS. Tony, I'm thinking of moving to LA next spring/summer, so I'm concerned about passing emissions tests. Perhaps sometime I can pick your brains about what needs to be done...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Anonymous"); // --> </SCRIPT>Anonymous <NOSCRIPT> Anonymous </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->OOPS.. That 'Anonymous' should read 'Anthony'<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 3:28 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->or 'agnyc1'<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "k"; document.write("James Krass"); // --> </SCRIPT>James Krass <NOSCRIPT> James Krass </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sweeet ride!!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 4:47 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Congrats on your new X. Your gonna have sooo much fun. You even have a mechanic who owns an X like yours! That should help out plenty. They have been my daily drivers(Minus Winter)since 1987. Trouble free except when I neglect to change or tighten something.
Later,
James

Get both yourself and your mechanic on my Owners Directory. Follow the link below.

Visit Club American X1/9 @ http://americanx19.tripod.com/americanx19.htm
Updated July 26th

Driver since 1987 <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->HA... Thanks for the thanks... that's why were all here...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 11:55 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Giangrande, huh, Tony, huh?

Let me share what a CA DMV lady said to me...

Me: I would like to register my car.

She: It's a FIAT, why... does it actually run? (he!)

Me: It's in the lot with a crowd around it... and I didn't have it towed, either...

She: Do you know what the "Rear Window Defogger" is for?

Me: Sure... but I took the rear window out...

She: No, what they are used for... on FIATS?

Me: Go ahead... tell me...

She: So ya don't freeze your fingers when yur pushing it in the snow... (he, he, he,!)

As for maintenance and repairs... learn to use the search feature and don't be afraid to ASK for help. Sometimes we can save you HOURS of work and HUNDREDS of dollars.

Also use the FS&W section for parts... there is a wonderful "inherient" discount amongst us enthusiasts.

So far, I have counted only 50 listed in the US and another 12 worldwide on this very ACTIVE list of owners. I'm sure there are more and its GRAND to have a helping hand close by... within a hundred miles!

As for coming to LA... ya gotta find an equal amount of people to leave first...

As for Smog Inspections... I have rarely seen one pass the new tests without some heroics.

Heros come in many forms... being a fellow Gumba... you oughtta understand... I wouldn't let some political BS stop me from enjoying my car... Especially when 1/3 of all the cars sold in the US are SUV's or Trucks that are EXEMPT on many fronts... and probably average 12 MPG.

If my car polluted TWICE its allowable limits... I am still more ecologically friendly than the average new SUV!

And finally to your story... yur preaching to the choir here... we ALL have a variation of the same story... LOVED hearing yours, though!

Kinda like the movie bizz... same plots, different backdrops!

Ciao... and...

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli, Two '79s, WHITE FANG and BLACK TOOTH
Santa Clarita, CA, http://americanx19.tripod.com/owner.htm<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Brad[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Nice looking car, Anthony!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 5:41 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->That red really sets it off.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Greg C."); // --> </SCRIPT>Greg C. <NOSCRIPT> Greg C. </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Red X's gotta love em!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 8:07 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->The X is a great ice-breaker in those small towns when travelling.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Brad[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->You are so right...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 8:59 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Way back in the summer of '74, me and another long haired friend drove my new X (2 weeks old) from Anaheim in SoCal up to visit some of my relatives around Provo, Utah. My aunt and uncle's phone rang much much more than usual, with questions such as "What the hell izzit?" I must say that Aunt & Uncle appeared to be somewhat glad to see us go... <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "7";n54_em = n54_em + "2";n54_em = n54_em + "3";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Greg Barron"); // --> </SCRIPT>Greg Barron <NOSCRIPT> Greg Barron </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Very Nice!!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 31 2001, 3:28 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Anthony,

The car looks great. Don't worry, with everyone's help here, you'll soon get the car running as well as it looks. Once you do, look out. These cars are a hoot to drive and extremely addicting. I bought my first one about 3 months ago and I've bought two more in the last month! I'm going to try and get photos soon.

Good Luck,
Greg B.
1979 parts car<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back