Gremlins on my lights system.

Yesterday night I drove my x around 12 miles, I made 3 stops, all the lights system works ok, but on the 3rd stop when I push the light on, they didn’t work.

I thought, Damn! The switch goes bad, well is just one block to home, I used the hazard lights and arrive to home quickly.
I replace the switch for one from my spare parts and fail.
I didn’t have time to check what’s wrong maybe later I’ll check the fuses.

After a couple hours, I came back to my garage and I review the fuse box.
ALL FUSES WERE OK!
I OPEN THE START SWITCH AND PUSH THE LIGHTS SWITCH ON AND …
IT WORKS AGAIN??
I start the engine, and push on and off several times the lights and all works fine.

Somebody have same experience or something will fail on the future?
I thinking on some cable or relay overheating that’s why fail then goes cold and works again.

Thanks.

extrasmallrbrbadgezv7.jpg

Ricardo
X19/79

yes, no, yes, no...

Yesterday night I drove my x around 12 miles, I made 3 stops, all the lights system works ok, but on the 3rd stop when I push the light on, they didn’t work.

I thought, Damn! The switch goes bad, well is just one block to home, I used the hazard lights and arrive to home quickly.
I replace the switch for one from my spare parts and fail.
I didn’t have time to check what’s wrong maybe later I’ll check the fuses.

After a couple hours, I came back to my garage and I review the fuse box.
ALL FUSES WERE OK!
I OPEN THE START SWITCH AND PUSH THE LIGHTS SWITCH ON AND …
IT WORKS AGAIN??
I start the engine, and push on and off several times the lights and all works fine.

Somebody have same experience or something will fail on the future?
I thinking on some cable or relay overheating that’s why fail then goes cold and works again.

Thanks.

Ricardo
X19/79

I suspect your fuse box needs an Italian tune up. Rotate all the fuses in their holders. If you want to really be nice, spray contact cleaner on the ends of the fuses first.
Chris Obert

Yep...

Mine did the same thing on my '87 X. Low beams failed and I replaced the switch and the high beams worked, but the lows were still off. All fuses were fine. Let the car sit for a few days then go try again and the low beams magically started working. Been good ever since. However, the other day they did flicker some and I found out the brown wire in the back of the switch had a bad connection.

Brian

Brian's on it...

The CRIMP connections gos bad at the switch. Be sure to check ALL connections on the back of the switch for a solid connection. Also check your grounds under the dash below the headlight switch.

Then, when you're done, add an insertable headlight relay harness. :grin:
Then you won't be drawing big current through your switch anymore.

Thank you Tony

I apreciatte your help
But i guess my mechanic hours to labor are pretty "weird"
with 2 monsters at home Lia and Allen, i never have time "or real time to do ANYTHING!" I used to fix or repair my car after 10pm if i need to do some special i need to make schedule and several times this schedule is broken.

Today i thought to use my car but i didn't do nothing since last monday, so i keept on garage and maybe... maybe i'll start friday night, and then saturday night and then sunday night and leave till next friday.

i'm slave to my children (and wife too!!:eek:)

i'm other toy of his collection
img5151xx3.jpg

princesses on duty
img5200ca7.jpg

but thank you anyway Tony! (damn! i almost cry!)

Ricardo
X19/79

Take good care of them Ricardo

Because someday, they'll be taking care of you.

You'll want them to keep the battery charged in your Rascal scooter that you've converted to look like an X1/9. Ha! :laugh:

One possible cause...

Is that the ignition switch, which switches power to the headlight switch, is failing. The contacts can overheat and carbon up, so that at first they work sometimes, sometimes not, and then eventually they fail. I had this issue and fixed it on my Betone, outlined here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1149194698

This may be why the lights did the same thing on the new headlight switch, because the fault lies in the ign. switch.

Back