RED X19

It is 23:24 here now, not enough enthusiasm to look for all these pics and discussions.
But shortly Q&A from my point of view.

Why I did it? Because was too lazy to route pipes back to front.

Would I do same again, most likely not, but I am really happy with big frunk I have now :D, so this answer is not definite.

Pros are less then cons most likely.
Does it cool coolant there enough - YES.
Can I dry some boots or wet gloves there in winter? Yes :D Also warm up some cheap 1$ pizza

And I like a lot how front looks without any type of grill.

122997979_359512978654196_1310656438818806268_n.jpg
123830840_3359612237462014_605253016618685631_n.jpg

That is sooooo cool... pun intended!

BTW, my last boss once told me that the hours between midnight and 0800 were NOT just for sleeping and making love...

Catch ya manana...

It is 23:24 here now, not enough enthusiasm to look for all these pics and discussions.
But shortly Q&A from my point of view.

Why I did it? Because was too lazy to route pipes back to front.

Would I do same again, most likely not, but I am really happy with big frunk I have now :D, so this answer is not definite.

Pros are less then cons most likely.
Does it cool coolant there enough - YES.
Can I dry some boots or wet gloves there in winter? Yes :D Also warm up some cheap 1$ pizza

And I like a lot how front looks without any type of grill.

View attachment 38111
I like that no grill look. It makes the car look sleek compared to the factory grill. I wonder if a grill painted body color would improve the look on those cars that still have a radiator in front?

I like that no grill look. It makes the car look sleek compared to the factory grill. I wonder if a grill painted body color would improve the look on those cars that still have a radiator in front?
Someone with photoshop skills could try that I believe 🤔

Someone with photoshop skills could try that I believe 🤔
That would be pretty easy to do. I was looking through my X photos and discovered I have no shots of the front. I might go take one and fire up Photoshop. Of course, real life can look much different than a photo but it might give an idea of whether or not it is worth pursuing.

•start up and for safe driving ecu map, before tuning on dyno
A basic map for our cars is hard to find. I used a "standard" map and adjusted it for TDC, sensors and injectors.
Once you have the engine running take it to the dyno, but go slowly and don't push or revv it.

FYi Punto starter motor DOESN’T WORK, with X19 flywheel, How long it will work, will let You know :D revvs up to 200rpm

*edited
It could be used in case of emergency, but it grinds teeths

Last edited:
A basic map for our cars is hard to find. I used a "standard" map and adjusted it for TDC, sensors and injectors.
Once you have the engine running take it to the dyno, but go slowly and don't push or revv it.
That's what I also found out. For me the whole turbo-X project was a first; not only my first turbo build, but also the first carb to standalone programmable EFI conversion. Not knowing a lot about building a aftermarket EFI from scratch I searched for existing maps that might work on the X. I thought I either needed to find one I could work from or create (write) one from a blank sheet. A few people have converted the X to EFI but their maps were not accessible, and none of the EFI companies had anything to offer (most had no idea what the Fiat SOHC was). So I began reading about the process of creating a map from nothing. That's a rather complex subject (beyond my scope). Luckily I learned it isn't necessary to write a new program from scratch; the software that the ECU uses will develop a base map from the parameters you input (sensor values, engine data, etc). You just answer the questions and fill in the blanks as it walks you through the process. I'm sure that's what @Bjorn Nilson is referring to as a "standard" map. That base map will be enough to get the engine started. From there you have two options: allow the software to "self learn" (closed loop wideband AFR), or find a smart guy with a dyno to massage things. To my surprise I'm told the self learning does a very good job, so long as you allow it time without abusing the engine (again, as Bjorn says "go slowly and don't push or revv it"). But I think a good dyno session would definitely be a big plus. It would also be interesting to learn what the dyno says your engine is producing.

FYi Punto starter motor DOESN’T WORK, with X19 flywheel, How long it will work, will let You know :D revvs up to 200rpm

*edited
It could be used in case of emergency, but it grinds teeths

I'm unfamiliar with the Punto engine but I understand the Fiat engines, the 1300 and 1500 had two different flywheels, and therefore two different teeth count on the starters. I believe both flywheels will interchange, but must be used with their respective starters.

BTW, the 1300 flywheel is about 2 pounds lighter and a "poor man's" effort at lightening. I believe they both can shed about 3-4 pounds of weight by milling and then re-balancing. A remarkable improvement you can actually see and feel!

Tomorrow maybe will be the day of starting the engine 🥳
Good luck Janis. I struggled starting up the engine very first time. I verified all ECU settings, wirings, sensors over and over again but couldn't find the issue. ECU diagnostic showed no errors. I was 100% sure i got TDC right, but noticed some back firing when using start gas. I was about giving up when I remembered that I had to set timing on my 1500 on cyl 4 so I suspected that could be the problem also on the UT engine. I changed the "180 degree" setting in ECU and it started up immediately.

I remembered that I had to set timing on my 1500 on cyl 4 so I suspected that could be the problem also on the UT engine. I changed the "180 degree" setting in ECU and it started up immediately.
You just gave me one more thing to worry about when I finally get around to sorting out the install of a standalone ECU for my first time ever. :eek:

Back