RED X19

I wonder what improvement I would get with my flared scoop?

View attachment 42241

It's currently just a pass through into the wheel well. I could close off that end and force everything into the engine bay.
You are right. It never occured to me. Even if the scoop is bringing more air into the opening in the engine bay, most of it is just venting the rear wheel... So obvious. Now another projet to add to my list...🥴

I bought the car this way. The tunnel is straight, not flared. The real problem is that I don't have any overheating issues so I don't require the additional air cooling, although I guess the dual IDFs would benefit from more air. Yet another covid project!

I bought the car this way. The tunnel is straight, not flared. The real problem is that I don't have any overheating issues so I don't require the additional air cooling, although I guess the dual IDFs would benefit from more air. Yet another covid project!
I guess it is just the angle of the photo that makes the scoop looked modified. :)

Helping with overheating/cooling issues is not the only benefit from increased airflow into the engine bay. By lowering the ambient air temp around the engine it also lowers the intake air temp, not only as it enters the air filters but also by reducing the temp of the intake/exhaust manifolds and related components. That will help a little with engine performance and efficiency. ;)

couldn’t pay much attention to the gauge because there was some no fire in one cylinder and I started to become angry :D
Also didn’t make a pic what I did today.
When I left garage IAT was 17C, and it was still 17C after halfway home. Yes, that is better than before.
Made two walls to isolate a bit intake manifold and taped some kind off scoop on the right side of bonnet. Something similar to the Hussein’s scoop, but my is ugly :D

changed all spark plugs to NGK that electrician suggested earlier.
Car runs smooth now.
Did a litle test drive on the streets after that of course 😂 not because that changed something but to check IAT.

Outside t is ~ -6C, but I suspect that outside t so far doesn’t change a lot is it 0 or -20.

At 75km/h IAT was dropping to 20c and maybe could drop even more a bit but had to slow down, at 55km/h IAT was ~22C
between intersection t varies from 22 to 30 C, it is a lot better than before.
Before it was ~46 between intersections. and ~36 at 95km/h.

Tomorrow will make a photo what I did and what am going to do more with cooling.

*some courious guy made a company while changed plugs on the side of street :D
*already two guys today looked too long at my car at red light so I had to point them that there is green light now :D

ice on a gearknob 🤪
87DEE0BD-3FD5-471E-91B3-1D66BC4E7E74.jpeg

Sounds like the larger side scoops reduce intake air temp more as vehicle speed increases. That makes sense. ;)

Nice that people notice your car so much. :)

But with that cold ambient temperature the intake temp is still very hot especially as you are not pushing the engine very hard. What will happen on a hot summer day with 30 degrees Celsius? Water to air IC is the only reasonable solution on a mid engine car IMHO.
What kind of NGK plugs did you have? BCPR7ET? Or Iridium?

ngk bcpr7es gapped to 0.7mm now , denso k22bpr-s before.

@Bjorn Nilson I’ll tru to buy some simple thermometer and attach ot to IC an intake manifold, I guess IC temp won’t be more than 15 degrees more than outside temp. IAT sensor is in the intake manifold, and manifolds temperature is the one that should be cooled down, because it heats up air uneqully (I guess) that already has passed IC where it was cooled down.

Air to water IC won’t cool down intake manifold 😬

Can You see Your IAT, and where is the sensor located?
*thermometer I could buy only after Monday if it will be on grocery store, it is illegal to sell them nowadays 🤷‍♂️ also underwear will be legal to buy on non online shops 😂
FCA4DEAE-7023-455A-AE39-4D063C906F54.jpeg

To lower IAT the most, I think both the IC and the intake manifold should be cooled as much as possible. But for now I think we are talking about cooling the manifold (externally). Possibly add insulators between the intake manifold and the head to help more.

Also the intake air supply that goes into the air filter should be as cool as possible (i.e. cold air intake). And keep the whole engine bay cool so "heat soak" cannot build up from the turbo.

Really, cannot buy underwear? o_O Go commando.

Can You see Your IAT, and where is the sensor located?
My IAT is located on the intake about 10cm before throttle body. My filter is close to the left duct so intake air is cool. IAT is 15-20 degrees C above ambient. I also have a plate between intake and exhaust manifolds (stock on UT). There is also a temperature sensor close to the injectors that triggers a sucking fan mounted on the engine lid. -I've never seen the fan running while driving so manifold is not hot.
But I also noticed engine heat problems when driving hard on track. Oil temp is normal but water temp goes a little bit high when pushing the car hard for more than 15-20 minutes. I have a new aluminum radiator to be installed and a lot of other projects planned as well, but currently I am busy with renovating the hallway in the house (it keeps my wife happy as well 😉).

Don’t know how I could put that belt on perviously. It was overtighten a lot without even tightening but putting belt on in some misterious way :D
Made new bracket to solve this problem.

Attachments

• 0670BC4B-4A82-4F2D-BF8D-EF85A1BA9A7C.jpeg
    0670BC4B-4A82-4F2D-BF8D-EF85A1BA9A7C.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 90
  • C836480D-A75B-4545-BEBB-3433F1A76176.jpeg
    C836480D-A75B-4545-BEBB-3433F1A76176.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 82
  • F3B3432C-55D7-49CC-806B-2CBF92BBD641.jpeg
    F3B3432C-55D7-49CC-806B-2CBF92BBD641.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 86
  • 42AEE42C-17BE-4AD2-9870-B903538A75CC.jpeg