RED X19

Can You do it? :D
4pcs 15x7 wheels in the frunk
E56FEB3B-2300-4579-A714-0FC561D075FC.jpeg

I completely agree with Dr Jeff. What I've learnt from my build is not to underestimate the costs for the "add-on" parts that is easily forgotten when going wild in performance. I paid 1600 USD for a renovated engine including a gearbox, stock ECU etc. Then add piping etc for 200 USD and you are good for 140-160hp. Well spent money I would say as there is no way to create that kind of power from a NA 1500 engine for same or less money.
But if you want some serious power from the engine the cost is running high very quickly: ECU, modern sensors, water/air IC, injectors, fuel pump and regulator, ignition, high flow exhaust... costs are easily doubled or tripled.
Also worth to mention is the costs for having the car roadworthy for 240 hp; coil overs, wheels.
Including purchase of the car I've probably spent 12-13000 USD on this "hobby" but I think it is worth it. If selling the car I will probably have most of my spent money back. -But that won't happen.

That's a major bummer! What happened?
I am “B” in the drawing
Car from the right side didn’t want to press brake, tried to steer off and accelerate to avoid collision, but she even didn’t try to brake.
I was on the second line (tram’s rails in this case) car on the first line on my right was giving her way to drive out of that place because his lane was stopped anyway because of traffic
BBA94229-E1F2-42B2-A6E5-B8A9CD458C33.jpeg

Did she hit the wheel at the same time, or the fender vent first? The wheel angle looks off in the pic, but that might just be camera angle.

The A B boxes with arrow head are where you ended up? Circles are where you started?

Janis, so sorry to hear this. That really sucks. And it looks like quite a lot of damage including the suspension, wheel, and body. Hopefully the insurance will cover things. Best of luck, let us know what happens. :confused:

I suppose if there is any way to be positive about it, think of this as the opportunity to make your custom side scoops. Or like Bjorn said, a body kit. However find out how badly the mechanical damage is first. It might have transmitted force through the axle into the transmission? If things are too severe then it may cost more to fix than the value of the car, and the insurance will only "total" it - meaning a complete write off rather than repairing it (at least that's what they do here).

Can’t say what was first but these wheel are with big positive offset - that means wheel was last.
Wishbone is bent a little.
Steering wheel is still in same position, no new noises or vibrations.
But this collision may have damaged a long list:
1. What You see in pics
2.all right side suspension
3.gearbox
4.all left side suspension because impact was hitting against big rock pavement ant tram rails
5. Engine mounts
6.door lock mechanism

This car have had same colision in past, whole rear right panel already has been changed previously
5EB67FD9-9378-4E13-909C-9C7289B76A0E.jpeg
EE31D917-E18E-49DA-9B9C-FEFE899B2688.jpeg
AF1BB8A8-3D8B-4F55-BFB1-E3BF7CCE0A24.jpeg
6DB5B173-A5AC-4B02-8145-E68FA0B6F600.jpeg

Last edited:
Janis, so sorry to hear this. That really sucks. And it looks like quite a lot of damage including the suspension, wheel, and body. Hopefully the insurance will cover things. Best of luck, let us know what happens. :confused:

I suppose if there is any way to be positive about it, think of this as the opportunity to make your custom side scoops. Or like Bjorn said, a body kit. However find out how badly the mechanical damage is first. It might have transmitted force through the axle into the transmission? If things are too severe then it may cost more to fix than the value of the car, and the insurance will only "total" it - meaning a complete write off rather than repairing it (at least that's what they do here).
Here we have an option:
-give it to the repairshop if it is repairable cheaper than avarage value.
-take money and repair by yourself
-take money and give it to scrapyard

Noone else has no rights to give to scrapyard my property here, that’s why I can choose between 2 options
Repair(if possible) or money

In 1985 an accident like yours happened to my A112 Abarth. A woman (why always women?) hit the right rear of the car. At first I thought all I needed was a new rim and a fender adjustment, and a repaint. However, at the workshop they meant the the whole suspension (a single spring bar) had to be replaced and strut towers straightened. So much internal damage happened even if it didn't look very serious. The car was more or less new so the insurance company took all the costs.

If this was my car, the classic car insurance would have fully covered the repair costs (especially if the accident wasn't caused by me). I hope you have a similar insurance.
I wish you the best of luck with it, and DO NOT GIVE UP.

We have two types of insurance here:
1. Mandatory, which price differs a lot between cars, owners, and lot of other criteria. I pay for this insurance, if have gotten in accident and am guilty then my insurance company covers all loss a for victim. And after that of course my insurance payment becomes more expensive.
X1/9 inscured this way for me costs 34€/year (haven’t heard of any other cheaper case here :D )

2.other insurance is up to You, where You pay have no idea how much, depends of course again, and in case off accident guilty or not Your loss is being covered. This is available for cars not older than 10 years, or I guess loyal clients of a company can buy insurance for some older car also.

Can’t say what was first but these wheel are with big positive offset - that means wheel was last.
Wishbone is bent a little.
Steering wheel is still in same position, no new noises or vibrations.
But this collision may have damaged a long list:
1. What You see in pics
2.all right side suspension
3.gearbox
4.all left side suspension because impact was hitting against big rock pavement ant tram rails
5. Engine mounts
6.door lock mechanism

I think that expansion in the control arm is normal - mine have it - you can kinda see it here - the 'wave' near the tie rod attachment

IMG-20191101-163805.jpg

Agree that the control arms can be a bit "bowed" normally. However it is best to have it checked, along with a lot of other parts like you listed. Remember wen Carl's cars got hit while sitting in front of his house? Well the cars were hit on the driver's side, but the passenger's side suspension was also damaged from hitting the curb (sidewalk) when the X was thrown over. The right (passenger) rear strut was even bent, along with the left (driver) one. So check the struts also.

The 3 options you have with the insurance is similar to some insurance types here. It depends on lots of things. But sometimes you can get the money for the repair and keep the car. But you must decide if it is worth your time to repair it, or to look for another one to build.

Best to have certified independent (not insurance company) repair shops inspect it and make official reports on the extent of the damage. If possible get more than one report. Then (and only then) talk to the insurance company. ;)

Back