Grille and air dam repair

ng_randolph

Bjorn H
My front grille had gotten a bit tattered over the years; Three of the six tabs at the bottom of the grille were broken off, the vertical supports were fractured in several places and a few pieces were missing. I have spent the past few weeks getting the grille back in shape.

The grille is made from ABS which is an easy material to work with. I started with the tabs for the air dam. The sole remaining tab received bracing cut from a sheet of 1/8” thick ABS from McMaster (part number 8586K161). I used black ABS cement to bond the pieces together; plumbers use this for black ABS drain pipes. I used this for all the fractured vertical supports as well.

index.php

For the three missing tabs I made replacements from the same sheet of ABS:

index.php

index.php

The braces were cut to the right size, but I left foot of the tab a bit long. I shaped the tab to the contour of the bottom of the grille before mounting the tabs. The ABS cement cures fairly glossy so I matted it down with a Scotch-Brite pad.

DSCN0890m.jpg

DSCN0891.JPG

The tabs at either end that mount the grille to the elephant ears were both intact and I left them alone.

About 5” at the end of one of the horizontal slats had broken off and I cut a replacement from 1/8” ABS. It took a bit of sanding and filing to make it fit and look right. More ABS cement to hold it in place. I made this as a straight piece, should have curved the leading edge to match the original. It is quite subtle and I won’t be losing sleep over it.

DSCN0887m.JPG

Three sections of the vertical support were missing as well, replacements from ABS sheet stuck on with ABS cement.

DSCN0892m.JPG

One mounting ear on the air dam was broken off and the PO had put it back on with black tie wraps. Perfectly workable, but I wanted to try gluing it back together. The air dam is not ABS; my guess is that it is polyurethane. I used an acrylic epoxy (Devcon Plastic Welder – 3500 psi strength) for the air dam. Acrylic epoxies stink something fierce, much worse than regular epoxies. Good ventilation is key.

DSCN0898m.jpg

DSCN0895m.jpg

You can see the hole the PO drilled for the tie wrap. After the first glue joint cured I added a bit of woven fiberglass reinforcement on both sides.

DSCN0900.JPG

And finally a coat of satin black Rustoleum.

DSCN0908.JPG

Three of the 4 tabs on the air dam had been drilled out for tie wraps. I filled the holes with epoxy and drilled them to the right size.

DSCN0911m.jpg

The original screws were long gone, so I used #10 sheet metal screws from McMaster. 5/8” long in black oxide stainless steel (part number 90356A287). Washers were black oxide stainless as well, part number 90618A500. The air dam had gotten a bit warped over the years (who hasn’t?) and it took some force to get it to mate with the bottom of the grille. I heated it up for hours on end with my halogen work light set to 250 W to get it to relax into shape. I used aluminum foil to shield the grille from the heat and to reflect heat back onto the air dam. I moved the lamp from side to side to heat the entire air dam. I heated it for about 8 hours over two evenings, checking frequently to make sure nothing got too hot.

DSCN0916.JPG

After it all cooled down I removed the screws holding the air dam to the grille to see if the air dam had changed shape. The middle sagged about ½”, better than I had hoped for. I put the screw back in and have been driving the car about 20 miles since. At some point I will probably buy a sheet metal reproduction air dam from Henk or Obert.

Last edited:
Wiki?

Not sure what's happening with the Wiki, but a very nice pictorial/writeup like this one covering a repair that I'd say at least 75% of cars need, ought to be a "no-brainer" for inclusion.:pc::sun:

Deja vu...

I could have sworn you broke into my garage and took the grill that is on my work bench. Everything you covered needs to be done to mine.

I attempted to make some repairs last year, but not as thorough as yours and they did not last the summer. I will be following your guidlines this time.

Thanks for the post!

Please ignore this post; It is only used to hold photos for the first post in the thread. Workaround for the 10 photos pr post limit.

Attachments

• DSCN0880.JPG
    DSCN0880.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0882.JPG
    DSCN0882.JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 696
  • DSCN0889.JPG
    DSCN0889.JPG
    712.2 KB · Views: 709
Well done! Please keep us posted how the glue and added tabs hold up in time. Hope to see it work as a permanent repair; some times these sorts of things seem a bit fragile. But I think the gussets added to the sides of the tabs will certainly help. Thanks for sharing.

Nice write up and awesome photo documentation. I have also used the ABS glue for repairing both a 1300 style and my 1500 style grilles and it seems to hold up well. I also fabricated a metal bracket to go from the radiator support cross member to the center of my 1500 spoiler to support it so it wouldn't sag in the middle. I don't have photos of it, but can take a couple later to add.

I also fabricated a metal bracket to go from the radiator support cross member to the center of my 1500 spoiler to support it so it wouldn't sag in the middle.
Nice. I was thinking of adding a metal support along the bottom of the "spoiler" (side to side) to support it and straighten it out, in a manner similar to the "skid plates" offered for Porsche's and Ferrari's....image below.
But Rodger's may be a better approach. Please show us how you did it.
31582878943_82b5c274a5_b.jpg

But Rodger's may be a better approach. Please show us how you did it.
Ok, here is what I did, but it was just something I threw together quick from what I had laying around, when I was repairing my grill. Nothing elegant at all, just something to support the spoiler where they tend to sag in the middle. I didn't want to do something stiff, in case I inadvertently hit a curb. Right now the car is on jack stands while I am redoing the brakes and transmission.
IMG_2785[1].JPG

IMG_2786[1].JPG

IMG_2787[1].JPG

The brace is not attached at all, but relies on the pressure of the spoiler to hold it against the crossbrace.

Anyone know an easy test to determine what type of material a sample is: ABS, urethane, poly, etc?

This post inspired me and I thought I'd share what I did. My chin spoiler also had its tabs and other parts broken and had been held on with some bailing wire. I took it off today and one side was twisted almost 90 degrees. It must have been parked on something while it sat all those years. I was able to straighten it out, much to my surprise, by clamping it flat on my deck railing and pouring boiling water over it 3 or 4 times. I forgot to take a before pic, but here's the "during." It stayed flat like that after unclamping. Still broken, but now the shape is back and I can work on it with some of the original poster's ideas.

Attachments

• Chin.jpg
    Chin.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 152
There is another post around here which covers making metal extensions from the upper grill mounting teeth down to the lower grill/top of the spoiler mounting points which would be nice to include with this set of solutions. I will look but if someone runs across it, including a link to it would be great.

There is another post around here which covers making metal extensions from the upper grill mounting teeth down to the lower grill/top of the spoiler mounting points which would be nice to include with this set of solutions. I will look but if someone runs across it, including a link to it would be great.

Is it the last reply in this thread from Doug? Not a lot of detail, but it is a fairly straight forward idea.

RX19/ Dennis Jones solution:​

A different way​

My approach to solving the problem was to use stainless steel straps to hold the droopy spoiler up. They are mounted directed behind the grill and are held in place with the same screws a the grill. Simple & effective.​

B265FFF8-FB0B-4CA0-9350-DBCF64A1B565.jpeg

Agreed this is what I was thinking of, I recall someone else having something similar. It is a great solution to the problem as another approach to the other remediations in this thread.

Thank you for finding it.

Last edited:
Follow up to my August 3rd post - I'm ready to reinstall the spoiler and am going to use Cratecruncher's method:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/front-grille-tabs.36955/#post-359318

Question - My "boiling water" method worked to flatten out my poor twisted spoiler, but looking at it now I see it should probably not be flat either. It looks like there should be a slight bow from a high point in the center. If so, and if the boiling water worked the first time, I'm thinking I can finesse it with a heat gun. Can someone confirm the shape?? Thanks.

Back