Grounds and grounding in general

GarageTimeTV

Garage Time TV
Hey everyone.... me again... lol

Where does everyone ground your battery? Upon getting the car mine was placed on the passenger side attached to one of the steering rack studs. The book I have doesn’t make mention of a specific location. Has anyone gone directly from the block to the battery the way a Chevy or Ford does? I know that’s a long way for a ground, but just a thought.

Attachments

• 8087C38F-F54D-480B-AE95-B37B94F8915D.jpeg
    8087C38F-F54D-480B-AE95-B37B94F8915D.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 100
I'm using the factory grounds but brand new ground straps and battery cable. If you're really concerned you might want to run a length of arc welding cable. I did that on a 59 Alfa Spider. Perhaps the subject for your next video.

I'm using the factory grounds but brand new ground straps and battery cable. If you're really concerned you might want to run a length of arc welding cable. I did that on a 59 Alfa Spider. Perhaps the subject for your next video.
Where is the "factory ground"? It doesn't seem to make mention of where that is.

Mine came from the factory with the ground running the the idler stud. I did recently replace the OE ground wire with one from NAPA as the OE clamp was beat up by the past owner.

The idler arm stud is the most common location in most 850's that I've seen over the years. Memory seems to recall the actual factory ground went near the battery to a spot welded, crimped attachment. These usually became frayed at the crimp and were replaced by a short lead going to the aforementioned stud. I use a battery/altenator disconect switch and have brazed a stud in the area of the former wiper motor location. Lack of a good ground causes a lot of woe!

Back