• FI system electrical

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • fouled plugs because of oil issues

• Head Gasket

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vacuum leak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • compression issue - non head gasket (bad bad bad)

• Other

• Total voters
Latest. Still not running. New coil and modual (from one of our vendors) new wires. Spark on each cylinder tested with inline tester. Used a noid and the cold start gets solid power on crank. Went to injector 1 and no pulse.

Odie

injector 1 and no pulse
Do the other cylinders have pulse? There's only one pulse train spread to all the injectors, they all fire at the same time, trace it back. If the others don't fire either, remember it needs a signal from the ignition.

Do the other cylinders have pulse? There's only one pulse train spread to all the injectors, they all fire at the same time, trace it back. If the others don't fire either, remember it needs a signal from the ignition.
Will check the others tomorrow. The first one was just the easiest then i got bummed

Odie

Good news i think i located the issue. Bad news. Ecu. Going through a troubleshooting sequence, i got as far as checking continuity between 1 and 17 with ignition on. It says if test light comes on, replace ecu. The light came on. Can anyone validate this is correct? Before i start fishing for an ecu?

Odie

Good news i think i located the issue. Bad news. Ecu. Going through a troubleshooting sequence, i got as far as checking continuity between 1 and 17 with ignition on. It says if test light comes on, replace ecu. The light came on. Can anyone validate this is correct? Before i start fishing for an ecu?

Odie
I am assuming you got to page 12 in the "Fuel Injection Diagnosis" book. The books tells you to go through a set of electrical tests, and concludes if no wiring problem is found that the ECU must be faulty. I'm not so sure that is right. If you can borrow a known good ECU, great, but I would not go and buy one.

I have never tried this, but others here have reported that with a stethoscope (improvised or otherwise) you can hear the ticking of the injectors as they open and close. If the car has been sitting for a long time, one or more of the injectors may be sticking. User jvandyke was struggling with this after he bought his X1/9, but he got them unstuck eventually. Sticking injectors should get better, not worse as the engine is running, but even your "good" audio samples don't sound that great to me.

A few other things: You speculate in one of your videos that the car may be running on the cold start injector for a bit. This is very unlikely, as the cold start injector is open only for as long as the starter is running, and no more than 8 seconds (shorter if the engine is warmer).

A simple way to check for spark while the engine is running is to use a timing light with an inductive pickup. Clip the pickup to the spark plug lead you want to check, and press the trigger button. If the timing light is strobing, there are current pulses, and in all likelihood also spark.

I am assuming you got to page 12 in the "Fuel Injection Diagnosis" book. The books tells you to go through a set of electrical tests, and concludes if no wiring problem is found that the ECU must be faulty. I'm not so sure that is right. If you can borrow a known good ECU, great, but I would not go and buy one.

I have never tried this, but others here have reported that with a stethoscope (improvised or otherwise) you can hear the ticking of the injectors as they open and close. If the car has been sitting for a long time, one or more of the injectors may be sticking. User jvandyke was struggling with this after he bought his X1/9, but he got them unstuck eventually. Sticking injectors should get better, not worse as the engine is running, but even your "good" audio samples don't sound that great to me.

A few other things: You speculate in one of your videos that the car may be running on the cold start injector for a bit. This is very unlikely, as the cold start injector is open only for as long as the starter is running, and no more than 8 seconds (shorter if the engine is warmer).

A simple way to check for spark while the engine is running is to use a timing light with an inductive pickup. Clip the pickup to the spark plug lead you want to check, and press the trigger button. If the timing light is strobing, there are current pulses, and in all likelihood also spark.
The injectors were all checked with a noid and they have pulse.
Woo hoo! Kinda. It started. I got pissed and hooked up the jump box and just let it crank and cank. After about 30-40 seconds it fired up!
The bad. First why. Second. It still has the miss. But i pulled wires and it is the back 2 that are missing. No change when i pull the plug. Spark is there as i was getting the snapping when putting them back on while it was running

So back to the begining

Odie

The injectors were all checked with a noid and they have pulse.
Woo hoo! Kinda. It started. I got pissed and hooked up the jump box and just let it crank and cank. After about 30-40 seconds it fired up!
The bad. First why. Second. It still has the miss. But i pulled wires and it is the back 2 that are missing. No change when i pull the plug. Spark is there as i was getting the snapping when putting them back on while it was running

So back to the begining

Odie
Are you sure the plug wires are in the right order? Perhaps you could swap the back two and see if it helps?

Looked. They were right according to the cap. Swapped them anyway. It was worse at least before it was smooth for a few seconds after starting.

Odie

Back