Guessing this is the Wheeler Dealers X

I thought everyone left the fans on, rolled a floor jack under the radiator support beam and just lowered the whole assembly with the jack.

As to replacing/repairing coolant pipes, probably a third of the posts on this forum deal with that misery! Typically, if those pipes are rusty then the steel heater pipe in there is rusty too. If you think your car has rusty pipes, better to start a new thread.

A bit of an exaggeration, there are a number of threads over the years. Some are more complete than others. The copper solution is one that has been done a number of times, plenty of debate about that approach due to the reduction in cross section. Then there is the replace them with the excellent stainless solution which is best done by taking the pan apart or twisting out the existing and sliding through only the straight section and rejoining them on the far end.

There is also the issue of the existing heater supply line which can also rot out, which if you replace it properly needs to be done by taking the pan off.

If you have the problem then its going to be a lot of work regardless.

plenty of debate about that approach due to the reduction in cross section
Not to get side tracked here. But I thought there were two "copper pipe" approaches; one that uses the same diameter as the original factory ones (actually the inch equivalent which might be fractionally different) to replace them, and one that uses a much smaller diameter pipe slid inside the old factory tube (not removed). That second approach would be a significant reduction in fluid flow/volume. But I think the first is almost exactly the same as the original? Unless I'm remembering it wrong.

Wait, was this thread about the car being for sale? Did anyone ever get a positive vector on what happened to it?

I watched the show yesterday. I found it nice entertainment & they seemed to respect the X1/9 which of course is cool. TV factors apply in terms of gliding over details. My question is can my shop cart hold a Fiat engine/transmission. :)

I watched the show last night from the YT li9nk someone posted - it was OK, but they did gloss over a bunch of things, even related to what was obviously done - they didn't show how they painted/blended the windshield cowl, or include that in the costs, unless I missed that. Ant calling the coolant pipes SS, that seemed like a total idiot moment....

I watched the show last night from the YT li9nk someone posted - it was OK, but they did gloss over a bunch of things, even related to what was obviously done - they didn't show how they painted/blended the windshield cowl, or include that in the costs, unless I missed that. Ant calling the coolant pipes SS, that seemed like a total idiot moment....
Nearly everyone seems very hung up on that SS moment. Does everyone realize his marriage was collapsing as these episodes were being recorded? May have something to do with minutia and nit-picky details. Expect other episodes like this. That and the fact the show was now being finished off under Covid restrictions, AND the fact that the American staff had likely learned they no longer had jobs in about four weeks. The final eight episodes should be interesting to compare, from a tech quality, with Season 16’s first half. I for one noticed the editing of this episode, and camera work, was juuust a little different, sometimes a little of a let-down. All that being as it may, I’m surprised they finished off the season at all. :)

Last edited:
It's TV. if the material of the coolant tubes is a significant error in their copy, I'd say they did pretty well. I suppose at some point, he'd checked on replacement parts or something? whatever.

If that were remotely real-to-life, I would be impressed heavily at how much love this car got those horrible wheels. But, hey, I have low expectations.

I watched the WD episode on the Datsun Roadster, a car I know far more about than I ever wanted to. They gloss over alot of things, rely on specialty vendors and local owners for tech info, and If I remember correctly, from the Datsun Roadster forum like this one, the "sale" was a fake staged for TV.
Reality TV,is as real as you want to believe. It does tend to kick up the sale prices for a while on ebay etc. for the car models they feature.

If I remember, I dropped the radiator out fans and all car on jackstands on the floor.

Cool part is I'm feeling like I got a steal on mine for $3700.00, 1980 with almost no rust, all original, it just broke 30K original mile (on the Old Course at Watkins Glen :) as a bonus)

I watched the WD episode on the Datsun Roadster, a car I know far more about than I ever wanted to. They gloss over alot of things, rely on specialty vendors and local owners for tech info, and If I remember correctly, from the Datsun Roadster forum like this one, the "sale" was a fake staged for TV.
Reality TV,is as real as you want to believe. It does tend to kick up the sale prices for a while on ebay etc. for the car models they feature.

If I remember, I dropped the radiator out fans and all car on jackstands on the floor.

Cool part is I'm feeling like I got a steal on mine for $3700.00, 1980 with almost no rust, all original, it just broke 30K original mile (on the Old Course at Watkins Glen :) as a bonus)
Tonight’s episode on the Triumph TR4 was also juuuuust a little different than the others, and similar to the X 1/9 episode. Covid must have had an effect on crew size, etc. And wow, was that a pricey sale price.

I watched the TR4 version last night too. I think with all the silly drive stuff at the end and tons of commercials that the guys just don't have enough time to show all the work they did. I assume the brakes were gone over and obviously the paint was restored. New wheels and tires only mentioned at the end. I'm surprised Ant didn't pull the head to check things out, did he do a compression test first?

I think with all the silly drive stuff at the end and tons of commercials that the guys just don't have enough time to show all the work they did.
If you look back at the early British episodes they did not do nearly as much "fluff". No long intros with the 'mouth' jabbering on and on, no excessively long test drives, no lengthy drives after the build, not a lot of the meaningless banter between Edd and 'chubby'. Mostly just focused on the work Edd did, so there was plenty of time for him to tell the full story with lots of educational info to go with it. That's when it was a show worth watching.

Speaking if British based car TV shows, has anyone watched one called "Flipping Bangers"? I like that the two guys are entertaining and not just feeding their egos (like the other show now does). I also like the selection of cars they choose. Sure it is still TV, so there is some scripting and creative editing. But it isn't as insulting as most car content shows these days. Kind of reminds me of the old Edd China days.

If you look back at the early British episodes they did not do nearly as much "fluff". No long intros with the 'mouth' jabbering on and on, no excessively long test drives, no lengthy drives after the build, not a lot of the meaningless banter between Edd and 'chubby'. Mostly just focused on the work Edd did, so there was plenty of time for him to tell the full story with lots of educational info to go with it. That's when it was a show worth watching.

Speaking if British based car TV shows, has anyone watched one called "Flipping Bangers"? I like that the two guys are entertaining and not just feeding their egos (like the other show now does). I also like the selection of cars they choose. Sure it is still TV, so there is some scripting and creative editing. But it isn't as insulting as most car content shows these days. Kind of reminds me of the old Edd China days.
On the other hand, Edd did some TRULY horrible things to cars. The AMC Pacer comes to mind as the winner, but his and Ant's philosophy seem completely different. He also did some great work - that Citreon Taco van was brilliant - but from a taste/color/bling aspect, Edd's not innocent of all crimes...

‘Wheeler Dealers‘ season ending marathon on MotorTrend TV cable channel, Feb 14th, 11am PST. Of course, starting off with the X 1/9. On Valentine’s Day. We do love the little thing. Enjoy, have fun - it’s meant to be fun :)

I had a chance to buy this car a few years ago. It was nice, but had minor rust issues (blistered paint in a few spots). The guy selling it (in Las Vegas) thought he was in possession of Unobtainium, and wouldn't let me test drive it if I flew out to inspect it. I also had a knowledgeable friend passing thru the LV area, but the seller wouldn't even let him LOOK at it. With that I looked elsewhere and found a nicer original car outside Dallas, TX.

To answer everyone's questions about the bumpers on a 1974. I believe the bumpers themselves are identical to the European market cars, but the rubber bumperettes are much larger on the North American cars. Similar to what Triumph did to the 1974 Spitfire.

I had a chance to buy this car a few years ago. It was nice, but had minor rust issues (blistered paint in a few spots). The guy selling it (in Las Vegas) thought he was in possession of Unobtainium, and wouldn't let me test drive it if I flew out to inspect it. I also had a knowledgeable friend passing thru the LV area, but the seller wouldn't even let him LOOK at it. With that I looked elsewhere and found a nicer original car outside Dallas, TX.

To answer everyone's questions about the bumpers on a 1974. I believe the bumpers themselves are identical to the European market cars, but the rubber bumperettes are much larger on the North American cars. Similar to what Triumph did to the 1974 Spitfire.
Interesting. Do you remember his asking price when you inquired? I’ll keep looking for the blistered paint... ;)

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you remember his asking price when you inquired? I’ll keep looking for the blustered paint...

Thanks - great sleuthing, that's cool - did you already know about the 2017 post? Ant fixed the major rust area, so all good. Decent write-up as well. And I had to laugh reading the comments.... Fiero's are better, and at least three 'fix it again tony's'. My biggest concern is where did those wheels go? It looks like the owner previous to WD must have made the change, unless Mike Brewer made $200 swapping them for what's on the car now. Can't see that being worth the trouble. Nothing but upside :)

Last edited:
Thanks - great sleuthing, that's cool - did you already know about the 2017 post? Ant fixed the major rust area, so all good. Decent write-up as well. And I had to laugh reading the comments.... Fiero's are better, and at least three 'fix it again tony's'. Nothing but upside :)
Car never did sell at that time. Prior owner pulled the ad and relisted on and off for $10K for the next 3 years.

Interesting. Do you remember his asking price when you inquired? I’ll keep looking for the blistered paint... ;)
My fuzzy recollection is that it was on Craigslist for $8500, but after he and I stopped talking, he raised the price to $9k, then $9500!

Thanks - great sleuthing, that's cool - did you already know about the 2017 post? Ant fixed the major rust area, so all good. Decent write-up as well. And I had to laugh reading the comments.... Fiero's are better, and at least three 'fix it again tony's'. My biggest concern is where did those wheels go? It looks like the owner previous to WD must have made the change, unless Mike Brewer made $200 swapping them for what's on the car now. Can't see that being worth the trouble. Nothing but upside :)
Prior owner probably sold the wheels off. The Craigslist ads in the later years showed the wheels you have now on it.

Back