H4 flat headlamps

Agnelli

True Classic
Neolite brand, 7" flat. Made in India. With daylight low watt running light. $45.92 / pair before shipping. "Automobile Lighting Equipments". Comes complete with German made Flosser H4 bulbs and low watt mini bulbs. Supplier is Classicgarage.com, Brewster NY. On the 128, headlamp relays are done. We'll see how the new lamps perform. Optimistic about the value proposition. Plan to connect the daytime runners directly to the running lamp wiring with Posi-tap connectors, which I have read about but yet to try. Report forthcoming.
Neolite front.jpg

Neolite box.jpg
Neolite back.jpg
flosser H4 bulb.jpg

Nice find! - the city lights fit into the X1/9 housing? Nice price too!

I have Hella units - I really like them :) My H4 are plenty bright with a relay mod.

I bought these "noname" H4 headlights for 12€ both (bulbs not included), theoretically they are made in Russia for Lada Niva or some other Lada.
They were without box, just packed in packging film.
ECB3B989-558D-4430-AE6B-0B457DDDE32D.jpeg

We'll see how the new lamps perform
Might check to make sure they are not Euro spec lens/light pattern. Those are for driving on the other side of the road and throw light into oncoming traffic. I'd have to compare the lens to some I have in storage to tell by looking at your pic (I don't recall which way the 'angle' faces for US vs Euro). Maybe someone else can tell from the pic.

I once tried a pair with the little "city light" inside and it was so dim that it did not show. The little bulb in them was not a common item so I wasn't able to find brighter replacements. I was hoping to use the city light as my front turn signals.

Might check to make sure they are not Euro spec lens/light pattern. Those are for driving on the other side of the road and throw light into oncoming traffic.

No. "Euro" (European) spec is not the same as "RHD" (Right Hand Drive) spec.

Ouch - so yes, India is RHD I guess (someone can correct me if I'm wrong!). Come to think of it, the Indian lamps are for RHD cars (judging by the lens optics, they're opposite to what I'm showing below). You may find the light tilts to the left and onto oncoming traffic.

This is a LHD Hella headlamp - you can see that these lenses throw the light to the right in order to light up signs/sidewalks, etc.. I stole these pics from the net - but I put the red arrows into them.

upload_2020-4-29_7-52-37.png

upload_2020-4-29_7-54-31.png

you can see that these lenses throw the light to the right
Thanks Myron. That is what I was referring to. I just couldn't recall off the top of my head how the lens look for either spec, left or right (or as most of the automotive world refers to it - US vs Euro).

I was hoping to use the city light as my front turn signals
Did you plan on having the headlight(s) pop open when you hit the turn signal? I think I'd find that annoying; when I work on my lights, I'd even like the parking lights to come on without the headlights popping open; I remember the thread on 'take control of your headlight pods'.

Took another look at the Neolites given the concern of the application for right vs. left side of the road countries. The pattern on the glass looks quite similar to German Hella H4's. There's a quite clear vendor photo you may observe here:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-251-941-105-A

Hoping the Neolites work out at <$50 pair with bulbs vs. > $130 per pair without bulbs. The German Hellas are enviable. I went with the Neolites as a bit of an experiment for the good of the order, plus wanted the daytime low watt effect, liking the idea of cruising around as in a European city at night (illegal here, I know). To that end, also sourced yellow watt minibulbs from bulbtown.com, which is an astonishing site you should visit.

That was for a non-Fiat project, where the headlights are fixed.
Ah; makes more sense. I find the idea of having just one headlight come up while an included turn signal flashes somewhat hilarious.
Would be hard to forget and leave on, though!

The pattern on the glass looks quite similar to German Hella H4's. There's a quite clear vendor photo you may observe here
The description in the link says:
"Please note that these headlight bulbs will NOT fit North American Vanagons of any kind. They fit European Models only!"
I'm sure that's for RHD vs LHD.

I've seen where a piece of tape has been placed on the lens of H4's, to cover that triangle. That's to help block the light casting to the left. Something like this:
Neolite front.jpg

Back when H4 bulbs were current on European production cars, there were situations where certain areas switched from RHD to LHD. So bulb makers provided a cover on the triangle portion for use until the switch was complete:
Dagen_H_Headlamp.jpg

I see you can actually buy a fancy piece of tape made specifically for this purpose:

A little illustration of the differences:
IMG_197.jpg

How about having just one headlight go up and down in cycles to create the flashing?
I don't understand all this references to euro. After all, ALL european countries are driving on the same side than us North-Americans except for UK.

And if lenses for LHD are sending high beam to the left, maybe we could just put the lenses upside down...:rolleyes:

Thanks Myron. That is what I was referring to. I just couldn't recall off the top of my head how the lens look for either spec, left or right (or as most of the automotive world refers to it - US vs Euro).

EU is also LHD (drives on right) - it's just UK in Europe that runs RHD (drives on left)....

The EU light pattern is different than the shitty US spec diffused crap - they have the nice sharp cutoff line with the upturn on the right. I've also used EU spec headlamps in older Volvos I didn't need to tape off any part of the lens to reduce light pattern...

Last edited:
Lately (a few years now) a lot of new cars seem to have really awful light control, doesn't seem to be any cutoff and they're blinding to oncoming cars; I had a rental at one point that seemed to shoot most of it's light pretty much straight up.

Took another look at the Neolites given the concern of the application for right vs. left side of the road countries. The pattern on the glass looks quite similar to German Hella H4's. There's a quite clear vendor photo you may observe here:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-251-941-105-A

Hoping the Neolites work out at <$50 pair with bulbs vs. > $130 per pair without bulbs. The German Hellas are enviable. I went with the Neolites as a bit of an experiment for the good of the order, plus wanted the daytime low watt effect, liking the idea of cruising around as in a European city at night (illegal here, I know). To that end, also sourced yellow watt minibulbs from bulbtown.com, which is an astonishing site you should visit.

Reply from vendor:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.06.30 AM.png

The use of "Euro" to describe the lights with an opposite pattern to North America has been common since the 60's. I'm not saying it is technically correct, but it is what 90% of the old timers know them as. Some European countries have switched from LHD to RHD over the years, so it might be an antiquated expression now. But it is still what you will see in most listings (like the one linked earlier for VW Vanagon H4 lights).

It is more than just a different pattern. They actually cast light to the opposite side of the road, which in North America means into oncoming traffic. You can see the difference by looking at the lens; that triangle area is on the other side of the lens.

The use of "Euro" to describe the lights with an opposite pattern to North America has been common since the 60's. I'm not saying it is technically correct, but it is what 90% of the old timers know them as. Some European countries have switched from LHD to RHD over the years, so it might be an antiquated expression now. But it is still what you will see in most listings (like the one linked earlier for VW Vanagon H4 lights).

It is more than just a different pattern. They actually cast light to the opposite side of the road, which in North America means into oncoming traffic. You can see the difference by looking at the lens; that triangle area is on the other side of the lens.

Yes, exactly -that would be for RHD (driving on the lefthand side) - which is only in the UK, regarding Europe.:D All other EU countries are LHD (driving on the righthand side), and have light pattern that the US matches, albeit with crappy diffusion :)

Back