Head bolts

That head gasket (tipo) has an extra hole in it compared to an X19 head gasket.... tipo head has a water passage there, and when fitting tipo head to an X19 (closed deck) block I use an X19 type gasket, which simply covers the hole.

If tipo gasket is used on an X19 block... there's an open hole in the gasket for no reason, not being fully supported, and possibly a point of failure should anything not be 100%.
View attachment 22191
plus it's a 14 bolt and Jeff is looking for a 10 bolt.

SteveC
Just as a friendly FYI, my reply was to lookforjoe as IIRC he has a 14 bolt block and the "Chinese" Tipo head. I was surprised to find an aftermarket MLS gasket for an SOHC engine so I thought I would bring it to his attention, even though his future plans are to replace the SOHC with a K24.

I can appreciate your caution regarding the unsupported coolant passage hole, though....:)

Good point Dan, I'd completely forgotten he had the Tipo head. So I was also on the wrong track here.

That head gasket (tipo) has an extra hole in it compared to an X19 head gasket.... tipo head has a water passage there, and when fitting tipo head to an X19 (closed deck) block I use an X19 type gasket, which simply covers the hole.

If tipo gasket is used on an X19 block... there's an open hole in the gasket for no reason, not being fully supported, and possibly a point of failure should anything not be 100%.
View attachment 22191
plus it's a 14 bolt and Jeff is looking for a 10 bolt.

SteveC

That's the spot that blew through on one of my detonation - based HG failures :D - considered drilling the passage into the block to mate with it & using the TIPO gasket, but since I added the X1/9 end heater feed, I thought it might skew the flow somehow...

X19_0298a.jpg

Just as a friendly FYI, my reply was to lookforjoe as IIRC he has a 14 bolt block and the "Chinese" Tipo head. I was surprised to find an aftermarket MLS gasket for an SOHC engine so I thought I would bring it to his attention, even though his future plans are to replace the SOHC with a K24.

I actually have a real (used) TIPO head - that & the crank came from the UK :D

Back