Head light relay kits

Dan is absolutely correct in what he explains above, especially if you're running a length of wire. For very small stuff like lengths of less than a foot, you likely could not measure the difference unless there was a heavy load of many amps applied, but for 3 feet or more, it could be easily measured with the load of the headlights themselves.
Those China made knock-off's aren't robust at all. They do improve, but only for a short time. They were not made to last very long. You get what you pay for on those. Installing them isn't plug & play either.

Dr. Jeff is correct to point out the importance of shopping for a relay kit with the right specs and gauge of wiring. But it's even MORE important to check that what you specced is what you receive.

Example below: two samples of 12 AWG "primary" wire as marketed by their sellers. The top one is wiring purchased in bulk from eBay. The bottom one is Balkamp brand wire as sold in your local NAPA store. Did I mention that both are supposed to be 12 AWG? Buyer beware.

View attachment 34764
Good point. I've noticed the same thing with wire purchased from several sources - including some very reputable ones - for many years. I recall finding such a variance in actual wire (internal) sizes as far back as 30+ years ago. I suspect it isn't necessarily a "China" thing as much as possibly a "industry standards" thing? I really don't know but perhaps some makers decide the "gauge" rating based on test parameters (e.g. resistance or other measurements) rather than physical size? I'm sure there are also differences in the quality of the metal content for the wire stands themselves.

On the subject of wire gauges. Another observation is the gauge sizes chosen by automobile manufacturers is often smaller than what some of the "gauge charts" would call for given the circuit's load. I'm referring to the original wire harnesses in many cars (not just Fiats and not just Italian cars). Naturally they try to keep production costs down and use the minimal size for the application. But in some instances it seems they undersize it. It becomes noticeable when doing a full restoration or extensive customization project and the original harness is opened. You may find sections of wires that got too hot and discolored the insulation, yet no signs of a short or other fault. Then comparing the wire gauge to the load it carries you see the wire size is borderline based on ratings charts.

Autoricambi offer a custom headlight relay wiring kit for the 124. Would that work?

I think you will have similar issues with any non-X specific kit. You still have to deal with the "special" routing required for the pods in the X. If you are more comfortable ordering from AR, then I am sure it would be a decent kit to form the starting point for your installation.

I have an original BobbyB headlight relay kit from his first run way back when. It has been riding a shelf waiting for me to install it in a car. It seems you need it more than I do Peter. Shoot me a PM and we can work it out.

I think you will have similar issues with any non-X specific kit. You still have to deal with the "special" routing required for the pods in the X. If you are more comfortable ordering from AR, then I am sure it would be a decent kit to form the starting point for your installation.

I have an original BobbyB headlight relay kit from his first run way back when. It has been riding a shelf waiting for me to install it in a car. It seems you need it more than I do Peter. Shoot me a PM and we can work it out.
Thank you Jim. I have sent a PM.

Haven't though about it. I might be making them in a lower quantity. Let's see what the next few weeks brings.

I have a second batch (I think) BB kit, given I have two late model X’s I am thinking this will go on my 850... but there is still time for me to find an older X to install it in...

Installed the bbrown headlight relay kit that I purchased from JimD. A big difference judging by the OEM charge meter and the aftermarket load/charge meter. The only indication of a load on the system was when the pods were moving up or down.

Wondering now... if after I install my newly aquired MWB LED headlights, (with their reduced amp draw) would this mod still be necessary or recommended?

I know this was from a few months ago, but MWB LED headlights? As in Midwest Bayless? I just looked but didn't see anything on their website...

Larry

I know this was from a few months ago, but MWB LED headlights? As in Midwest Bayless? I just looked but didn't see anything on their website...

Larry

Apparently they are either out of stock or no longer offering them. I had to do a google search for this link as it was gift from my wife and not part of my order history with MWB.

Back