Headlamp motors not rising

DanielForest

True Classic
1980 carbed car coming out of storage soon after 18 years indoor. Old headlight switch was melting. Put a new one. Both sides got bright headlights but the pods are not rising. Checked the fuses. Fuse 16/R seems to be nice. Interverted the headlamps relays. No changes. My next try will be to bypass the R 3 amps fuse. Any other suggestions. I really don't think it could be related to the switch. Other option would be wire related. I don't think boths side diodes could die at the same time.

This will be a lot of fun. Put a screwdriver on Fuse R holder and motor raised. Fine. Then I closed the headlight and the left pod stayed open. Interverted the relays again. Nothing. Put a screwdriver on Fuse 15/Q. No results. If the motor raised, it's not the diode. I have to dig a little more. But at least I know it's not the switch.

Also checked C3 and C4 connectors behind headlamp motor. Well connected but didn't check if voltage is there.

BTW, anybody found a better alternative to those 3 amps fuses except for changing all the wiring for the later Bertones fuse box?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make things more complicated. I now remember I changed my 1980 brown dash for a nice black 1987 dash, 25 years ago. And, since the hole for the headlamp switch wasn't the same size, I kept using the later style swicht and wired everything with individual wires. Why not used the later plug? Because the lazy Canadian didn't figured out it was different when parting the car (12 hours away from home) and leaved it on the car in Buffalo, now at the scrapyard. BUT, since I'm a litlle Wise, I didn't removed the 1980 plug in case, one day, I want to put back a 1980 switch. I wired from the 1980 plug to the 1987b switch.

Now, after hours of fiddling, this occured to me when I discovered my 1980 switch couldn't entered the 1987 dash hole for the switch. 18 years is a long time. (Getting older kinda suck)é I'm still missing a few puzzle pièces. Did I modified the wiring? Don't know. Could it be the reason why the headlamp pod is not going down on one side? I'm not convinced. Is there 2 diodes on each headlamp, one for rising one for going down? Don't know. I have to dig a little more.

How fun are these cars!!! As long as I don't have to change the master cylinders again, I'm open to anything else. Maybe I'm not ready to put the car back on the road. It's been only 18 years. After all, it's a X 19... I could need another year.

There are some odd combinations that can result from diode problems; only one goes up or down, or they go up but not down, etc, etc. There are two diodes per side. I don't recall all the details but this should cover it:
https://www.facebook.com/1536519737...53651973744/10150346096208745/?type=3&theater

Let me know if you find the problem to be from diodes. When I bought replacements they came in a pack of 10 I think. So I should have a couple extras. For my friends they will be free. For you they will be $1000 US. :)

Thanks Jeff. I will accept your offer. I can take money order, check or paypal. In the meantime, I have a box of headlamp motors from parts car. I could just switch one to see if that's the problem. 30 years ago I changed them on my 1980 car. It's maybe time again. Those cars aren't reliable!!! :rolleyes:

Back