Headlight motor malfunctions

ecohen2

True Classic
Most of you probably know this already, but I discovered it today and had not found a reference to it. Once in a while one of my headlights would not go down all of the way. Today for the first time it actually blew a fuse, so I started taking things apart and discovered something interesting.

There are two little plastic clips, a pink one and a blue one that are suppose to hold the wires to the back of the headlight away from the motor arm. On my car both sets of clips have become brittle and were not holding the wires. Once in a great while, the wire would get hooked around the arm for the motor and cause it to not close properly or operate slowly.

The solution was simple, I just used a zip tie to hold the wire up where it should be. In the photo, you can see the plastic clip and at the top the zip tie. I have not had any motor issues since doing this...

(Note: These bulbs have a pigtail, so the headlight plug is not going into the back of the bulb.)

EDIT: For some reason that photo is appearing upside-down ... Not sure how to flip it..

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 83
Easy fixes are the best. Easy fixes that make sense are almost impossible. Congrats on finding the problem.

Yeah, I couldn't believe that it was a motor going bad or a short so it really didn't make sense. It took watching the headlight go up and down a couple of times before I saw it flick the wire. Then I took a closer look at the wire and it was obvious that it had been getting hung up on the light mechanism...

Yeah, I couldn't believe that it was a motor going bad or a short so it really didn't make sense. It took watching the headlight go up and down a couple of times before I saw it flick the wire. Then I took a closer look at the wire and it was obvious that it had been getting hung up on the light mechanism...
The pink plastic circle is a factory wire management item, the blue splice-looking cube must have something to do with the aftermarket pigtail and the extra length is probably the underlying cause, as this is not a typical problem area.

Oh sorry, that blue splice is for my driving lights.. There is a blue plastic circle identical to the pink one down at the bottom of unit that isn't in the picture..

Back