Headlight motor repair

syata

True Classic
My headlight motor brings the headlight pod up but not down. It's not a blown fuse or wire issue. It's the motor...I confirmed this. Has anyone repaired their headlight motor? And advice? Thank you.

There are several great threads discussing this, do a search with the Google Xweb tool. Often the diodes are the first thing to go.

The headlight wiring changed a bit over the years; what year is this car? Does the other headlight operate as it should?

I am curious how you confirmed that it is the motor, as it almost certainly is not the motor itself. The motor assembly contains, in addition to the motor and gears, position sensors for "fully raised" and "fully lowered", and there is a pair of isolation diodes in the wiring harness (early cars) or the back of the motor assembly (later cars). If the "close" isolation diode fails open or gets disconnected you would see exactly what you are seeing. This would be easy to fix. If the position sensors are bad (have not seen mention of this happening) you'd need to take the motor assembly apart.

FYI, these motors always spin in the same direction regardless of whether the headlights are opening or closing.

Last edited:
I replaced the headlight motor with another and it works. I want to see if I can repair the original motor since parts are getting harder to source.

I say Motor, meaning the entire housing and internals. I haven't taten the housing apart. I read it may be the diodes. So that will be my start.

Thank you.
A suggestion. Please put some info about your car and any modifications about your car in your signature. This helps us to help you.

So for instance

1977 with no modifications

1980 with FI, shaved head, big valves

1980 carb no modifications.

These tell us a whole lot about your wiring, your engine and what is attached to it and what we can tell you about how to fix it.

Diodes failing after all these years is common, sometimes due to environment. Sometimes it can be good to include roughly where you are, region not city as lots of folks don’t want to share too much about themselves.

Anyway there have been some great threads on this fix, I have linked to the ones I have tagged to be in the BOX threads.

It's a 1986 Bertone. All stick besides the Bob Brown relay upgrade to the headlights due to the voltage draw. The car is in the San Francisco Bay Area.

It's a 1986 Bertone. All stick besides the Bob Brown relay upgrade to the headlights due to the voltage draw. The car is in the San Francisco Bay Area.
You can add that to your signature in the account details up at the top of the page, you can add a signature and say a little about yourself. The signature helps us quickly orient ourselves to your car. Thanks!

Back