Headlight motors move opposite switch! Advice?

chrisstopher

Low Mileage
Behavior: headlight motors go up and down, but opposite to switch position. With switch off, headlights are UP, with switch in middle or on position, headlights DOWN (headlamps are on).

How i got here is a little circuitous, and doesn't help my troubleshooting. But may make more sense to you guys.

I did the diode replacement on both motors to correct a lack of motor operation - previously would only return to down position, no up operation. Checked fuses, ruined one in process, ordered 2 from MB... Fuses seem to be OK.

When i first put everything back together, didn't get any motor movement at all. Turned the headlights to 1/2 up position, and with key movement, they would cycle down and back up. And STAY UP.

When I started the car, the headlights would cycle normally with switch operation for 2 full cycles, then stay up. I continue to get this behavior - motors stuck in the UP position, no operation from switch.

HOWEVER, if I manually put the motors in the midway up/down, start the car, i return to the headlight motors operating both up and down, but OPPOSITE the switch position.

I thought I was crazy after writing this, so went back out and checked again. First, a full up/down cycle (correctly with switch) and headlights staying in the UP position, shut off car, place motors in the midway position, restart car, and get full UP/DOWN, but OPPOSITE the switch.

Any suggestions? Did i screw up the diode replacement, or perhaps have relay gremlins.

thanks! Chris

Very simple

It is all mechanical:
Each motor has an arm connected to it which activates the pod. Unbolt the nut that connects the arm to the motor shaft (10 mm wrench) and remount it at 180 deg position. Done...

Enjoy -

+1 to H...

The headlight turnbuckle links are installed 180 degrees out of synch. Contrary to thought, the headlight switch doesn't send an open/close signal, it simply tells the headlight motors to turn on. Internal limit switches tell them when to stop.

-M

thanks for replies, makes perfect sense...

This is why it's good to take a break after several hours. The answer was right in front of my nose (and rachet).

I'm happy to not have to pull the motors again, this should be a 10 minute fix.

:]

Back