Headlight Switch

Duncan

True Classic
I've a late (1987) X1/9 with a sliding switch.

If I push the switch once to the right the headlights raize and light up. I can't get main beam (if I push the paddle) and the fog lights won't go on if the fog light switch is pressed.

If I push the switch a second click to the right then the foglight will work and the main beam will function.

Is this normal? I don't have a user manual so am assuming the first click is for parking (so no foglights) and also you would not get main beam.

The only reason I've noticed this is because the car is going for it's MOT (safety check in Great Britain) and it's something that is checked

Regards

Duncan

Hi Duncan,
I think (please excuse me if I'm wrong, I don't have a working X1/9 to check on), but for your age UK X1/9 the first click on the slider switch (where the three positions of the switch are off-1-2) is pods-up and dim-dip, second click is normal dipped-beams. Main-beams operated by the column stalk when the slider-switch is in the second position. Rear fog-light is operated independently by a switch on the centre console. The late X1/9s have wiring for ancillary driving-lights which operate on the same circuits as the main-beams. Fog lights shouldn't be connected to this circuit as you don't want fog-lights and main-beams on at the same time.

Hope the MOT goes well.

I have the same year model

though US specs.
The slide switch works like this:
Full left - off
Mid position - pods up, parking lights on all [FONT=&quot]around[/FONT].
Full right - pods up, parking lights on, main lights on at low beam, high beam may be switched on by the lever on the steering [FONT=&quot]column[/FONT].
Momentary hi beam (flashing) is turned on by pulling the [FONT=&quot]column[/FONT]lever REGARDLESS OF MAIN LIGHT SWITCH POSSITION.
I wish you success with the MOT.
BTW I didn't understand the problem with the fog lights.

Thanks everyone

Thanks,

you've summed it up well. In regard the fog light - when the parking lights are on if you push the fog light switch the fog light will not come on. If you push the headlight switch all the way to the right the fog light will come on (if you press the fog light switch). I suppose this makes sense because you would not want the fog light workingif you have the parking lights on

Fogs

The reason the only work with the low beams is the way the relay is wired, so that if you switch from lows (dipped) to highs (mains) the fogs go out. Side effect is they will not work *unless* the lows are on.

Makes sense, since if you need the mains for distance vision you don't want the foreground all lit up and making it difficult to see the distant stuff. This is why the dipped don't just stay on when the mains are used, and why making *that* wiring mod is a dumb idea.:cool:

Back