Heater/air control knobs

EJP

Daily Driver
How do you get these little buggers off? It seems there is a little nub on the top and bottom of the inside of the knob that slides and clips onto the plastic arm? Is the trick is to get something on the top and bottom inside the back of the knob at the same time and push the nubs up so it will slide off of the arm. I am afraid of trying to spread the 4 plastic ears on the back corner of the knobs as they will probably break off. Tried to push the knobs around with a small metal pick tool, but no go. I would appreciate any helpful hints. Thanks.
EJP914

There is a small nub on one side of the metal slider that the plastic knob is attached to. I'm not sure which side but it is only on one side. The trick is to get a small metal pick on one side of the knob, actually past the knob, then come back forward and lift the plastic side of the knob slightly. By "lift" I mean move the plastic left if you are on the left side of the metal, or right if you are on the right side of the metal - like I said, I can't remember which side the nub is on.

It does not take much movement. The nub only sticks out of the metal a very small amount, maybe a mm or possibly less.

I know the plastic arms used on the '79 and up cars have nubs on both sides that engage the holes in the knobs. Yes, you have to spread the gap the arm slides into in the knob to widen it enough to clear both nubs. Some people use pick tools, some try to "shim" the flats of the nubs away from the openings so the nubs won't catch, allowing the knob to come off. Shim stock or with a really good pair of snippers or scissors, slice a suitable thickness feeler gage blade longways in half or thirds.

If you are trying this now, I would definitely heat 'em up with a hair dryer or heat gun to make the knobs more flexible in the hopes that they will bend and not break.

Back